What LPs have you listened to recently?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7140 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:32 am »

1963 Atlantic

Sonny Stitt
John Lewis
Jim Hall
Richard Davis
Connie Kay

This is a good one.  Bird tunes but different.  The story is Stitt was the designated (by Bird on his death bed) keeper of the flame. 
Good choice.
neo
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm by neobop »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7141 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm »

1977 Passport Records

Phil Collins - drums
John Goodsall - guitars
Percy Jones - bass
Robin Lumley - keyboards
Morris Pert - percussion
Kenwood Dennard - drums

Passport was an early fusion group headed by Goodsall, and was the other group Phil Collins played in, early in his career.  This recording is from two live dates in London in '76 and '77.   Brand X was started around '75 and Collins last recorded with them in '79. 
You can hear Weather Report influence.  Not a bad thing, and this record is intense with rhythmic drive that doesn't let up, like hard rock/fusion without vocals.
This is the original cover except for the compact price label.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7142 on: 15 Nov 2014, 03:11 pm »

1990 Blue Note

Renee Rosnes - piano
Branford Marsalis - tenor, soprano
Ralph Bowen - tenor
Wayne Shorter - soprano
Herbie Hancock - piano
Ron Carter - bass
Lewis Nash - drums

Not everyone here appears on all cuts, but you can see the recording buddies Renee has on her second album.   This a good one, make that excellent album in a new bop genre.   I'm a little distracted right now by Renee radio which you can find here:
http://www.reneerosnes.com/

neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7143 on: 19 Nov 2014, 03:11 am »

1974 Strata-East

George Davis - guitar
Paul Metzke - guitar
Azzedin Weston - conga
David Lee - drums
Martin Rivera - bass
Calo Scott - cello
Airto Moreira - percussion
Stanley Clark - bass
Charlie Rouse - tenor, bass clarinet

This album is deceptively complex for one that seems like funk-rock at first listen.  The title cut, named for an expression used by Monk, has three tempos going at once.  It's so well written that you might not notice unless you're really paying attention.  Charlie Rouse played tenor with Monk for ten years ending in 1970.  He certainly had something to say as a leader.   This is a fascinating record. (BTW not everyone plays on all cuts)
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7144 on: 19 Nov 2014, 03:36 am »

1990 Blue Note

Renee Rosnes - piano
Branford Marsalis - tenor, soprano
Ralph Bowen - tenor
Wayne Shorter - soprano
Herbie Hancock - piano
Ron Carter - bass
Lewis Nash - drums

Not everyone here appears on all cuts, but you can see the recording buddies Renee has on her second album.   This a good one, make that excellent album in a new bop genre.   I'm a little distracted right now by Renee radio which you can find here:
http://www.reneerosnes.com/

neo

Saw her some time ago at Small's in New York.  God, I positively hate that hair-do and thankfully I must have seen her since. 

with Chris Potter, Christian McBride and Jack Dejohnette (Blue Note) and fine as wine.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7145 on: 20 Nov 2014, 12:53 am »

with Chris Potter, Christian McBride and Jack Dejohnette (Blue Note) and fine as wine.

That one looks good.  Chris McBride is a killer bass player.
Sometimes it's hard to find these on LP.  Some might not even exist on LP.  I just ordered this CD:

It's got Joe Henderson.  That's all I need to know.  Looking forward to checking it out.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7146 on: 20 Nov 2014, 01:17 am »

1974 MGM Records

This is a stereo reissue of a Verve album called The Essential Charlie Parker, a compilation album.   Bird plays with such notables as Dizzy, Miles, Hank Jones, Monk, Red Rodney, and many more.  There's also a couple of cuts of Bird with strings and one has Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, Flip Phillips, Oscar Peterson, Barney Kessel, Ray Brown and J. C. Heard.
This album is really a treat.  Bird was such an amazing musician, it's like he taught the world how to play.  If you think about it, he really did.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7147 on: 22 Nov 2014, 06:14 pm »
Music from the movie "The Missouri Breaks"  (UA);
Mister Heartbreak- Laurie Anderson (WB)*;
Rhythm Nation 12" single- Janet Jackson (A&M)**.

*produced by the lady herself with assists from Bill Laswell and Peter Gabriel and this is some wild stuff.
** crank up the volume and try sitting still when this is playing.  Impossible.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7148 on: 29 Nov 2014, 06:45 pm »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7149 on: 2 Dec 2014, 12:40 am »

1955 EmArcy

Harold Land
Richie Powell
George Morrow
Max Roach

Great album from Clifford Brown and Max Roach group.  Brownie's solo on the first tune, "Cherokee" is considered one of the finest in jazz. 
Brownie only recorded for four years before he died in a car crash at age 25 in 1956.  His legacy was gigantic, influencing players like Donald Byrd and Lee Morgan and writing tunes  like "Joy Spring", "Daahound" and "Sandu" that have become standards.

"I Remember Clifford" by Benny Golson is a moving tribute and has become a standard in its own right.  Brownie was a star, snatched from us too soon.
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #7150 on: 2 Dec 2014, 01:49 pm »
Pink Floyd Meddle

I always forget how amazing this album is.

ACHiPo

« Reply #7151 on: 2 Dec 2014, 01:51 pm »

Vinyl Lady,
I just learned about Eva Cassidy here a few weeks ago.  She has a limited, and a bit confusing, library.  What's a good place to start?  There's supposedly a live album that is good, but not sure of the difference between that and the "Best of" album?

Thanks,
AC

brooklyn

« Reply #7152 on: 3 Dec 2014, 06:05 pm »

Doc Severinsen Facets

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7153 on: 3 Dec 2014, 06:21 pm »
Vinyl Lady,
I just learned about Eva Cassidy here a few weeks ago.  She has a limited, and a bit confusing, library.  What's a good place to start?  There's supposedly a live album that is good, but not sure of the difference between that and the "Best of" album?

Thanks,
AC
I'm not V.L. but I'll chime in.  Not surprised that you are just now learning of Eva Cassidy.  The record companies never knew how to market her as they too were confused by her "library".  She is jazz, pop, ballade, country, Motown, etc.   She has a much wider audience after her untimely death than in life.   Check out "Time after Time".  I heard her version of Woodstock in a small town bookstore a dozen years ago and it stopped me cold... I remember how I stood and listened to this day.
Scott

ACHiPo

« Reply #7154 on: 3 Dec 2014, 09:16 pm »
I'm not V.L. but I'll chime in.  Not surprised that you are just now learning of Eva Cassidy.  The record companies never knew how to market her as they too were confused by her "library".  She is jazz, pop, ballade, country, Motown, etc.   She has a much wider audience after her untimely death than in life.   Check out "Time after Time".  I heard her version of Woodstock in a small town bookstore a dozen years ago and it stopped me cold... I remember how I stood and listened to this day.
Scott
Scott,
Thanks.  I'll check it out.  I noticed on Acoustic Sounds that there is a vinyl box set coming out this month of her collected works, but it's ~$250 and there seems to be a lot of duplicates, but like I said it's a bit confusing.

AC

brooklyn

« Reply #7155 on: 4 Dec 2014, 05:53 am »
Hi Scott, I don’t have any music by Eva Cassidy and thought I would give
Woodstock a listen online, I thought it was a great rendition of that song.
Thanks for the tip, I’m always looking for something new to listen to.

Regards,
Jerry

ACHiPo

« Reply #7156 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:34 pm »
Scott,
I finally got a chance to give it a listen, and it is really good.  Not sure I'm up for the $250 box set, but VL's "Best Of" (which is the live album I was thinking about), and the "Time after Time" album are both now on my Acoustic Sounds wish list.
 :D
Thanks for the lead!

AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #7157 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:44 pm »
Tommy Bolin Private Eyes

A little dated, but good rock and great guitar.

MP3 Samples

ACHiPo

« Reply #7158 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:21 pm »
Finally getting around to listening to this.  Absolutely incredible!  I'm not (or at least wasn't) an opera fan, but wow what a recording of an amazing performance.  And with 1953 technology.  Breathtaking.

Puccini's Tosca with Maria Callas, 1953 recording at the Teatro alla Scala

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2014, 11:23 pm by ACHiPo »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7159 on: 9 Dec 2014, 01:32 am »

1955 Blue Note

J. J. Johnson – trombone
Hank Mobley – tenor saxophone
Cecil Payne – baritone saxophone
Horace Silver – piano
Percy Heath, Oscar Pettiford – bass
Art Blakey – drums
Carlos "Patato" Valdes – conga
Richie Goldberg – cowbell
(2 groups)

This was originally a 10" album and expanded into an LP a couple of years later.  Kenny was a great precision player.  For some reason Tom Harrell reminds me of Kenny.  This is a good one, a really good one.
neo