What LPs have you listened to recently?

Toni Rambold

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7000 on: 14 May 2014, 10:55 pm »
Quote from: neo
Some might know Adam Makowicz from a Sheffield direct to disc LP.

This one ???

It is from HP's Super Disc List and was reviewed in TAS 32, page 138ff ...  :notworthy:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7001 on: 15 May 2014, 02:21 am »
This one ???

It is from HP's Super Disc List and was reviewed in TAS 32, page 138ff ...  :notworthy:

Hi Toni,
That be the one.   

I like Sheila ...  :wink:

Is that your favorite Sheila Jordan?  I looked her up and it seems that's the earliest (1963) in print.  Back in the day she worked with some impressive names.  Bird (Charlie Parker) would introduce her as "the singer with the million dollar ears."  She could improvise a whole tune.
neo

Toni Rambold

« Reply #7002 on: 15 May 2014, 02:49 pm »
Quote from: neo
Is that your favorite Sheila Jordan?

YES ...  :)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7003 on: 16 May 2014, 04:23 am »

1960 Atlantic

These early Ornette LPs are pretty cool, really.  Check this out:
Ornette - alto
Eric Dolphy - bass clarinet
Don Cherry - pocket trumpet
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Scott LaFaro - bass
Charlie Haden - bass
Billy Higgins - drums
Ed Blackwell - drums

The whole thing is an improvisation that lasts about 40 minutes.  It's cut in half for the sides of the LP.  This isn't a lot of cacophonous noise, these guys play off each other, although there's no or little traditional structure.  If you have the stereo version there's a legend that tells you who is playing in each channel.

The picture in the lower right is a reproduction of a Jackson Pollock painting called White Light.  If you have the original gatefold that square on the cover is blank and the picture is on the right inside the fold.

Honestly, both are crummy photos.  The second one shows the space better but the colors are mostly missing and there's not as much yellow. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7004 on: 8 Jun 2014, 03:28 am »

1985 Contemporary

Trio date with John Heard (bass), Tony Williams (drums)  Nice one, very nice one.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7005 on: 8 Jun 2014, 01:41 pm »
YES ...  :)
I remember a very old George Russell album on Riverside, if memory serves, on which she is featured.  This would have been in the early 60's.  Russell could have had any vocalist he wanted, I'm pretty sure.  She is a singer's singer.  I have a duo album with she and bassist Harvie Swartz on the PAI label, "Old Time Feeling" that has exceptional purity of sound and exceptional improvising.  Swartz is one of time's best kept secrets.  He still plays around the East Coast I've read.  Plus, I believe Neobop told me that.  They are remarkable together.  The album is a gem.

In my audio club there is a chap with the damndest record cleaning regimen you've ever seen.  Thanks to him, this record and many others sound pure as fresh snow.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7006 on: 8 Jun 2014, 02:25 pm »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7007 on: 8 Jun 2014, 03:39 pm »
I remember a very old George Russell album on Riverside, if memory serves, on which she is featured.  This would have been in the early 60's.  Russell could have had any vocalist he wanted, I'm pretty sure.  She is a singer's singer.  I have a duo album with she and bassist Harvie Swartz on the PAI label, "Old Time Feeling" that has exceptional purity of sound and exceptional improvising.  Swartz is one of time's best kept secrets.  He still plays around the East Coast I've read.  Plus, I believe Neobop told me that.  They are remarkable together.  The album is a gem.

In my audio club there is a chap with the damndest record cleaning regimen you've ever seen.  Thanks to him, this record and many others sound pure as fresh snow.

Harvie Swartz is now apparently Harvie S (I didn't know).  He's 65 years old and I believe he lives in or close to New York.   S's last album was in '08, a duet with Kenny Barron:

This might be CD only, I don't know that either.   It looks good though.

In the late '70s and '80s S worked with both Steve Kuhn and Sheila.

1980 ECM
Steve Kuhn, Sheila Jordan, Harvie Swartz, Bob Moses

Last Year's Waltz - '82 on ECM is another with same personnel.

That Old Time Feeling:

1982 Palo Alto

neo beda beda beda bop

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7008 on: 8 Jun 2014, 06:06 pm »
The "bopster" rules.

This is an album I've owned since it first came out with HS on bass and it's not collecting dust around here, either.  I loaned it to an audio society chum for him to record and he put a scratch on it, so he bought me another one*:

In case you can't read the title, it's Dawn or Double Image from ECM.  Dunno which is the name of the band and which is the name of the album.  The music is subtle with lovely interplay.  They had one more release- one I don't have- on ECM, I believe.  There is nothing like it known to me.     

*Little did he know I already had another one, so now I have three.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #7009 on: 14 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2014, 02:18 am by pumpkinman »

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7010 on: 15 Jun 2014, 01:15 am »
Santana  ~  Moonflower

Columbia

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7011 on: 15 Jun 2014, 03:11 am »
The Doors  ~  Morrison Hotel

Elektra

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7012 on: 15 Jun 2014, 08:34 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7013 on: 15 Jun 2014, 09:17 pm »
"Remain in Light" is my only experience with Talking Heads and based on that one they are an amazing group who can both write and play.  There is one tune in particular from it that will stand in any rock bands company for its energy and beat.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7014 on: 15 Jun 2014, 09:52 pm »
More Talking Heads, both Little Creatures and this one, More Songs about Buildings and Food, are really good. David Byrne is very talented.

Delacroix

« Reply #7015 on: 16 Jun 2014, 12:30 am »
Currently have an ancient copy of Joan Armatrading's Show Some Emotion flowing through the house -- sounds great despite all the wear -- perfect for a warm Sunday night in Texas for those of us not watching basketball!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7016 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:39 am »

Byrd at The Gate (Riverside).  Guitarist Charlie Byrd and friends.  There is a most excellent track on this, "Where Are The Hebrew Children?", that is way past worth the price of admission alone.  It's fairly lengthy and that's good cause it's magic.  If I were making a list of the top 100 tunes that I've ever heard, it would on it

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7017 on: 20 Jun 2014, 06:04 pm »

Released 1986 Dragon Records  2LP stereo - Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb

There's another one on Dragon, Miles and Trane, recorded 7 months prior to this (black cover background).  This is a live recording by Swedish radio and a beautiful pressing by Dragon. 

Trane left the Miles band in '60. After that a number of different sax players played with the band.  The first was Sonny Stitt.  You can't help but compare the sax to Trane, especially on tunes like All Blues which was on Kind Of Blue LP.  Stitt certainly holds his own and brings on his free flowing bop style.  It's kind of refreshing and sometimes he sounds like Cannonball Adderly.  Stitt plays mostly alto, but he switches to tenor with good facility. 

Miles didn't settle on a new sax player until the entire band was reformed with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. 
Sonny Stitt was a great player.  On his death bed, Charlie Parker designated him Keeper of the Flame and he did that well. 
neo

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7018 on: 20 Jun 2014, 10:52 pm »
I posted this in P-mans rock n roll thread, but it is worth posting here too.

This is her first solo album and if you are even close to being a Pretenders fan you owe it to yourself to buy this record. White vinyl and comes with the CD.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7019 on: 20 Jun 2014, 11:44 pm »
I saw them- The Pretenders- on the first US tour for like two bucks, I think.  I love their first album.  Rarely do I get an album on which I like every song.  Their first is one of those happy exceptions.  Where do I get it, Lady of Vinyl?