What LPs have you listened to recently?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #6520 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:11 pm »
My point was that it's the rare and obscure that are of greatest interest to the collector.  I think this thread is about what you've listen to recently, not necessarily a value judgement on the quality of the recording or pressing.  That sort of information is relevant (to me) and more would be welcome, but I don't think it's a requirement to post only "recommended" records.

This is a beat up copy of record I used to have and liked.  I used to listen to very few vocals but this one grabs you, it's fresh and involving. 

1957 Capitol Records -  large band backup with strings.  Hank Jones on piano and Jonah Jones trumpet solos.  This was Dakota's debut album and biggest hit. 
neo

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6521 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:46 pm »
My point was that it's the rare and obscure that are of greatest interest to the collector.  I think this thread is about what you've listen to recently, not necessarily a value judgement on the quality of the recording or pressing.  That sort of information is relevant (to me) and more would be welcome, but I don't think it's a requirement to post only "recommended" records.

This is a beat up copy of record I used to have and liked.  I used to listen to very few vocals but this one grabs you, it's fresh and involving. 

1957 Capitol Records -  large band backup with strings.  Hank Jones on piano and Jonah Jones trumpet solos.  This was Dakota's debut album and biggest hit. 
neo

Most of my record collection could be called rare and obscure -- at least to the young whippersnappers out there.
But as I have said before on one thread or another, as I and my records have gotten very old I have lost patience with bad performances, bad recording sessions and bad pressings.
To me, relative quality counts more than relative obscurity. I find enlightening the comments one sometimes sees on this and other threads about the quality of particular pressings.
BTW, Dakota was one of the good ones!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6522 on: 16 Apr 2013, 07:55 pm »
I wanted to post one more before I take that break. I'm sorry I reacted poorly on A/C
the other day. I should have know better than to let someone get to me like that. God
knows I'm old enough to know better. But I felt a little blind sided by it. Being that I've
never had an issue like that here before. I'm going to tell a short tale here to make a point.

On Wednesday April 10, 2013 my wife's cousin was murdered in Southern NJ. The funeral
was this past Sunday. We don't really even know why yet. The police are looking at it as
wrong place wrong time. I'm not looking for sympathy here but to make the point about being
courteous and respectful here on A/C because we are behind a keyboard and can't possibly
know what's goes on in other peoples lives. It could be a senseless act of violence, the loss of
one's job or simply a bad day at work. Negative remarks of any kind should never be a part
of music. If you don't like something someone has posted then simply move on.

Thank You ............Bill

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6523 on: 16 Apr 2013, 08:06 pm »
Most of my record collection could be called rare and obscure -- at least to the young whippersnappers out there.
But as I have said before on one thread or another, as I and my records have gotten very old I have lost patience with bad performances, bad recording sessions and bad pressings.
To me, relative quality counts more than relative obscurity. I find enlightening the comments one sometimes sees on this and other threads about the quality of particular pressings.
BTW, Dakota was one of the good ones!
Introduced to that record around five decades ago.  It is one of three or four that made me a jazz lover and collector.  Great to see Ms. Staton and The Late, Late Show honored here.

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6524 on: 16 Apr 2013, 08:51 pm »
Introduced to that record around five decades ago.  It is one of three or four that made me a jazz lover and collector.  Great to see Ms. Staton and The Late, Late Show honored here.

"The Late, Late Show" hits the old nail square on the head, Jim.
And, in the name of obscurity for all the youngsters out there, may I recommend the delightfully quirky 1984 Stephen Frears film "The Hit." Shot in Spain, this movie features outstanding performances by John Hurt, Terrance Stamp, Fernando Rey and a young Tim Roth.
Why recommend a movie on a site devoted to music?
Because the opening titles are accompanied by great guitar riffs composed and played by Eric Clapton.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6525 on: 17 Apr 2013, 12:32 am »
I wanted to post one more before I take that break. I'm sorry I reacted poorly on A/C
the other day. I should have know better than to let someone get to me like that. God
knows I'm old enough to know better. But I felt a little blind sided by it. Being that I've
never had an issue like that here before. I'm going to tell a short tale here to make a point.

On Wednesday April 10, 2013 my wife's cousin was murdered in Southern NJ. The funeral
was this past Sunday. We don't really even know why yet. The police are looking at it as
wrong place wrong time. I'm not looking for sympathy here but to make the point about being
courteous and respectful here on A/C because we are behind a keyboard and can't possibly
know what's goes on in other peoples lives. It could be a senseless act of violence, the loss of
one's job or simply a bad day at work. Negative remarks of any kind should never be a part
of music. If you don't like something someone has posted then simply move on.

Thank You ............Bill

Pumpkin,

My deepest condolences. Know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

It happens that we all lose our cool at times. Know that you are always welcomed and valued here.

Best,

Roscoe

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6526 on: 17 Apr 2013, 12:48 am »

Bob Dylan "Self Portrait".
Supposedly Dylan's worst album, never released on CD and the third worst R&R album ever, according to Rolling Stone. Well, I think they're all full of prunes.

Doc

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6527 on: 17 Apr 2013, 02:08 am »

bside123

« Reply #6528 on: 17 Apr 2013, 02:30 am »

Tower Of Power "In The Slot" 1975 Warner Bros. Records LP

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6529 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:29 am »
What's the point of this post, do you object to obscure records?   Should we just allow Miles Davis, Charlie Mingus and others you approve of?
Quite awhile ago I posted the Harmonic Choir, a very strange record, should I have not posted it? 

Seems to me, the greatest value of this thread is in seeing records you might be unfamiliar with, not the same old thing.  I don't think I ever posted a Miles or Mingus record even though I listen to them.  Sometimes when I play records in my collection that are great records but not well known, I post them.

While I respect your opinion or preference, it's been brought to my attention that a member here feels disrespected by your comments.  I know it's easy to misunderstand the intent of a post.  Words, phrases, can be interpreted differently.  At first I might have been thinking you meant something other than what you did.  I'm not sure.  When it comes to modern rock, my ignorance has no bounds and that is the basis of my objection. 

I'm not the moderator here, just want to remind you that back when they kept track of record sales, jazz and classical made up around 3% of all sales.
neo
Heck, I might have posted about Harmonic Choir if I hadn't heard it in so long.  Older guys have broader collections than younger guys.  And, that's why we should post and equally why some readers appreciate it.  You're just you and undiluted is OK with me.  That goes for all you you's. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6530 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm »

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6531 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:39 am »
Some more Hi-Lo's...

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6532 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:19 am »
Empty Glass
PETE TOWNSEND

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #6533 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:55 pm »
Time to wake the neighbors up

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #6534 on: 21 Apr 2013, 02:19 pm »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6535 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:36 pm »
Frank Sinatra‎– Put Your Dreams Away
Label:  Columbia ‎– CL 1136
Released: 1958

A mint 6 eye version I stumbled into.

SteveFord

• Volunteer

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6537 on: 22 Apr 2013, 04:21 pm »
A Decemberists' day:

bside123

« Reply #6538 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:18 pm »

Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" 1982 Warner Bros Records LP, Japanese Pressing

jtsnead

« Reply #6539 on: 22 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm »
Grace Jones...Ms Grace Jones...I am a slave to the rhythm