What LPs have you listened to recently?

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #6500 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:44 am »
Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

Prestige

Thank you, Cactus Bob, for restoring some sanity to this thread!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6501 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:08 am »

Sanity Really ?? There is a thread dedicated to jazz, but I think it's great that Cactus Bob shares his vinyl collection with us here.

pumpkinman

« Reply #6502 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:21 am »

A favorite of mine.
While I enjoy some Jazz recordings Rock is still my favorite genre insane as I am

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6503 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm »

Sanity Really ?? There is a thread dedicated to jazz, but I think it's great that Cactus Bob shares his vinyl collection with us here.

Yes, really. I enjoy rock recordings also, but sometimes I get the impression that this thread is a competition between posters on who has the most obscure garage band pressing.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6504 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm »
Yes, really. I enjoy rock recordings also, but sometimes I get the impression that this thread is a competition between posters on who has the most obscure garage band pressing.

Oh but those  great obscure records are part of the thrill of the hunt. And just maybe folks here are more likely to enjoy our enthusiasm than spouses or friends less devoted to music and audio gear. I think of this more as a mutual admiration society than a competition, a great way to share new discoveries, old loves and the occasional "not my bag"/"I don't get it" LP (seems not everyone digs the new MBV as much as I do).

Speaking of which, have I mentioned the live Bowie bootleg from '72 that I grabbed this weekend?

Eric, you may be pleased to know I also grabbed Miles Smiles and Mingus' Oh Yeah (both mono).

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6505 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:09 pm »
Oh but those  great obscure records are part of the thrill of the hunt. And just maybe folks here are more likely to enjoy our enthusiasm than spouses or friends less devoted to music and audio gear. I think of this more as a mutual admiration society than a competition, a great way to share new discoveries, old loves and the occasional "not my bag"/"I don't get it" LP (seems not everyone digs the new MBV as much as I do).

Speaking of which, have I mentioned the live Bowie bootleg from '72 that I grabbed this weekend?

Eric, you may be pleased to know I also grabbed Miles Smiles and Mingus' Oh Yeah (both mono).
Very well put, RIII. Must admit I have posted a couple pretty obscure recordings on this thread myself.
Miles Davis and Charlie Mingus always make me smile, BTW.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #6506 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:14 pm »
Roscoeiii makes some very valid points there. I'm on the hunt constantly and I come up with some really cool treasures, rock, prog, jazz, blues etc. and seeing obscure, hard to find records on these forums always thrills me. Keep em' coming!

CB

pumpkinman

« Reply #6507 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:28 pm »

You're absolutely right and I love to share my collection online since no one here could give rats ass.
"But" I'm thinking I need a break so I'll be signing off for a while enjoy all............Bill

orthobiz

« Reply #6508 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:32 pm »
What??? This is NOT a competition????

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6509 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:11 pm »

+1  Everyone has a right to their opinion. 
neo

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6510 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:49 pm »
I know the topic is LP's, but is it OK if I post some 78's here? I have some that NOBODY has heard of and I'm sure to win the competition!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6511 on: 15 Apr 2013, 09:15 pm »
+1  Everyone has a right to their opinion. 
neo

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, but sometimes it's best to keep that opinion to oneself. I hope Eric didn't mean it this way, but his post about bringing sanity back to this thread came across as arrogant and demeaning, as though jazz is a better form of music than garage rock or psychedellic and he didn't care for the P-man's posts. That may be Eric's opinion (others too), but I can assure you it is not shared by all who post ITT. There are many of us who look forward to Bill's posts about some new garage band or obscure find that we had missed in the day. The post of the Riot on Sunset Strip soundtrack was to die for and many of us looked at that cover with envy. I know it is now on my "must find" list. That Moon LP is a collector's item for sure and it also is on my "must have" list. 

I enjoy seeing what folks are listening to. You will never catch me listening to jazz, but I would never imply that someone posting jazz records shouldn't post them ITT or was taking the thread into the land of insanity. I just skip over them and wait for the next rock, blues, folk posting. I especially enjoy being reminded of records from the 60s & 70s I have in my collection, but haven't listened to for a while. I also enjoy learning about new music. Two summers ago Bill & Cathy and I met for the first time at the Rock N Roll HOF and had a wonderful 4 days in Cleveland touring the HOF and shopping for records. We met on AC and have a friendship that began on AC and grew out of fondness for similar types of music. 

We are all music lovers and vinylholics or we wouldn't be hanging out ITT. Mutual repsect for each others tastes would go a long way to maintaining peace and harmony ITT.

Peace and happy listening to whatever your heart and ears desire. :thumb:

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #6512 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm »
This forum overall has a pretty good vibe, many of the others are confrontational and downright mean. I think all of the posts have been pretty good and I do not take them to be demeaning or inappropriate. But then again, I'm originally from NY and I love to "bust chops." Hence, the banter between the pumpkin and I (and others) about who posted the mono record or the promo and whether it was a "regular" promo or the white label promo, etc.

So the sanity comment didn't bug me. You should check out my thread on the Audio Desk on the Linn website. I was basically called an idiot!! But that doesn't mean it should happen here.

And BTW, I don't like jazz either but I did get a few jazz records recently. I should be posting them soon. Gotta put them through the cleaner first!

Bill aka pumpkin will be back, I'm sure...

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6513 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:30 pm »
You're absolutely right and I love to share my collection online since no one here could give rats ass.
"But" I'm thinking I need a break so I'll be signing off for a while enjoy all............Bill

Obviously the majority here DO give a rats ass.  While I support Eric's right to express his opinion, and even share that opinion to a certain extent, it in NO way means I wish you would stop posting your recently listened to LPs. 

Sanity doesn't have much to do with record collecting anyway, and I'm not sure how it can be restored.  Sometimes I wish there was a little more information along with the pics cause I often don't have a clue.  I could ask, but I don't usually know where to begin.  To me, sanity is having an idea of what I'm looking at, not a value judgement.  I wouldn't presume to comment on the validity of anyones listening fare.   I'm used to having my preferred genera not appreciated by the majority.  I'm not embarrassed by most peoples lack of enthusiasm, I know there are a few who like to listen to jazz or be interested in some other obscure album I post. 

Bill,
Don't be so sensitive.
neo

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6514 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:48 pm »
I post here, and my jazz listening in the jazz thread.

That seems sane to me.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6515 on: 15 Apr 2013, 11:52 pm »
Bill's a good man and an invaluable resource.

It would be a shame to lose his input 'cuz someone else is clueless.

And he's a self-proclaimed 'redneck', don't just assume he'll be back 'just because'.

Bill aka pumpkin will be back, I'm sure...

Paul

SlushPuppy

« Reply #6516 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:11 am »
Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, but sometimes it's best to keep that opinion to oneself. I hope Eric didn't mean it this way, but his post about bringing sanity back to this thread came across as arrogant and demeaning, as though jazz is a better form of music than garage rock or psychedellic and he didn't care for the P-man's posts. That may be Eric's opinion (others too), but I can assure you it is not shared by all who post ITT. There are many of us who look forward to Bill's posts about some new garage band or obscure find that we had missed in the day. The post of the Riot on Sunset Strip soundtrack was to die for and many of us looked at that cover with envy. I know it is now on my "must find" list. That Moon LP is a collector's item for sure and it also is on my "must have" list. 

I enjoy seeing what folks are listening to. You will never catch me listening to jazz, but I would never imply that someone posting jazz records shouldn't post them ITT or was taking the thread into the land of insanity. I just skip over them and wait for the next rock, blues, folk posting. I especially enjoy being reminded of records from the 60s & 70s I have in my collection, but haven't listened to for a while. I also enjoy learning about new music. Two summers ago Bill & Cathy and I met for the first time at the Rock N Roll HOF and had a wonderful 4 days in Cleveland touring the HOF and shopping for records. We met on AC and have a friendship that began on AC and grew out of fondness for similar types of music. 

We are all music lovers and vinylholics or we wouldn't be hanging out ITT. Mutual repsect for each others tastes would go a long way to maintaining peace and harmony ITT.

Peace and happy listening to whatever your heart and ears desire. :thumb:

Laura

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great post Laura. Peace and happy listening to you too  8)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6517 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:57 am »
I know the topic is LP's, but is it OK if I post some 78's here? I have some that NOBODY has heard of and I'm sure to win the competition!

What's the point of this post, do you object to obscure records?   Should we just allow Miles Davis, Charlie Mingus and others you approve of?
Quite awhile ago I posted the Harmonic Choir, a very strange record, should I have not posted it? 

Seems to me, the greatest value of this thread is in seeing records you might be unfamiliar with, not the same old thing.  I don't think I ever posted a Miles or Mingus record even though I listen to them.  Sometimes when I play records in my collection that are great records but not well known, I post them.

While I respect your opinion or preference, it's been brought to my attention that a member here feels disrespected by your comments.  I know it's easy to misunderstand the intent of a post.  Words, phrases, can be interpreted differently.  At first I might have been thinking you meant something other than what you did.  I'm not sure.  When it comes to modern rock, my ignorance has no bounds and that is the basis of my objection. 

I'm not the moderator here, just want to remind you that back when they kept track of record sales, jazz and classical made up around 3% of all sales.
neo 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6518 on: 16 Apr 2013, 04:19 am »
D.N.A. featuring Susanne Vega-  Tom's Diner 4 times (A&M).

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #6519 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:32 am »
What's the point of this post, do you object to obscure records?   Should we just allow Miles Davis, Charlie Mingus and others you approve of?
Quite awhile ago I posted the Harmonic Choir, a very strange record, should I have not posted it? 

Seems to me, the greatest value of this thread is in seeing records you might be unfamiliar with, not the same old thing.  I don't think I ever posted a Miles or Mingus record even though I listen to them.  Sometimes when I play records in my collection that are great records but not well known, I post them.

While I respect your opinion or preference, it's been brought to my attention that a member here feels disrespected by your comments.  I know it's easy to misunderstand the intent of a post.  Words, phrases, can be interpreted differently.  At first I might have been thinking you meant something other than what you did.  I'm not sure.  When it comes to modern rock, my ignorance has no bounds and that is the basis of my objection. 

I'm not the moderator here, just want to remind you that back when they kept track of record sales, jazz and classical made up around 3% of all sales.
neo

I do not object to obscurity. A good friend used to work in the music and motion picture businesses in Los Angeles back in the 1950's and 1960's. One day, while dumpster-diving at World Pacific Records, he came up with some test pressings of alternate Gil Evans tracks that never saw the light of day, marketing-wise. Now THAT'S obscure, and I would trade some vital organs to have them.
I do not object to anyone's postings on this thread. While having a preference for classical and jazz music, I also enjoy classic rock and good country. So I'm a 3 percenter, with occasional forays into the 97 percent world.
I do object to poorly played, recorded or pressed music, especially of the Columbia variety. If anyone wants to discuss Columbia Records' past sins, I'll gladly enter into a colloquy.
While pulling some chains in past comments on this thread, I have wounded some feelings. I've also been a hypocrite, posting some recordings that many would consider to be obscure.
For this I apologize and promise never to do it again. At least, not on this thread.