What LPs have you listened to recently?

orthobiz

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #3540 on: 28 Dec 2011, 09:38 pm »
Premiata Forneria Marconi – The World Became The World Manticore Records    MC 66673    US    1974   :thumb:

The English language version of "L'Isola Di Niente"  sung by Pete Sinfield after leaving King Crimson

I have an American pressing of Chocolate Kings, probably not the best place to start. I love prog and will pick up the "Storia" and "Amico" albums when I see it.

Paul

Jlappy

« Reply #3541 on: 29 Dec 2011, 12:30 am »
I consider Wayner to be a resident Yes expert. I was more into the forgettable 80's one hit wonders and I was surprised to read that it came out in 83. Is it possible that this album is nearly 30 years old???

Anyway, I read the liner notes and all of the songs are written collaboratively. Previously Anderson was the mainstay, even though each wrote songs on Fragile. So the first thing that struck me was that some of the lyrics appeared to make sense (at least I could understand them) unlike the typical cryptic Yes fare. Musicianship is excellent.

Bottom line, I dunno when I will spin it again but I'm glad I have it. It was part of a small freebie collection, it's in good shape and is well recorded and the "price was right!"

Paul

Paul, 

An excellent find!  Thanks for your thoughts.  They've compelled me to pull my copy.  I bought it new in 83, I even slept out for the  90125 concert tour that year or spring 84.  We didn't end up with great seats, if I recall we were way back in line, regradless it wasn't a disappointing concert.  Yet all the radio AirPlay of 90125 turned me off of the lp at the time, now almost 30 years later I'll need to give it a spin  :wink:

Cheers,

Jim

roscoeiii

« Reply #3542 on: 29 Dec 2011, 12:31 am »
So Paul, Talking Heads '77?

I will have to grab that one next time it pops up. My knowledge of their stuff is fairly scattered.

orthobiz

« Reply #3543 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:52 am »
So Paul, Talking Heads '77?

I will have to grab that one next time it pops up. My knowledge of their stuff is fairly scattered.

I lived through the first five or so Talking Heads releases. I moved to Manhattan in 77 and NEVER SAW THEM (what an idiot I am!). Anyway, listened to each record incessantly upon release. Each record was different, one of those groups that evolves in a good way. But for whatever reason, 77 is my favorite. I don't see it too often used, either.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #3544 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:53 am »
Paul, 

An excellent find!  Thanks for your thoughts.  They've compelled me to pull my copy.  I bought it new in 83, I even slept out for the  90125 concert tour that year or spring 84.  We didn't end up with great seats, if I recall we were way back in line, regradless it wasn't a disappointing concert.  Yet all the radio AirPlay of 90125 turned me off of the lp at the time, now almost 30 years later I'll need to give it a spin  :wink:

Cheers,

Jim

I know what you mean about Owner of A Lonely Heart. Sometimes overplay of a song, like I'm Not In Love by 10cc can turn you off to an otherwise wonderful record...Time to spin and re-evaluate a lot of that old stuff, eh?

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #3545 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:26 am »
Yeah '77 is on my radar. But haven't found a clean copy yet. 

Jlappy

« Reply #3546 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:01 am »
I know what you mean about Owner of A Lonely Heart. Sometimes overplay of a song, like I'm Not In Love by 10cc can turn you off to an otherwise wonderful record...Time to spin and re-evaluate a lot of that old stuff, eh?

Paul

90125 is in my short 'to play' list now.   You know 'radio play' was always a killer for me  :evil:, maybe that was why I made a lot of cassette mix-tapes :wink: back in high school . . . i still have 2 or 3 sleeves of 10 cassettes each I think. 

Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #3547 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:08 am »

Rare Earth – Ma   Rare Earth – R 546L  US    1973   :thumb:

I just picked this one up early this evening  :D great funk & R&B  :thumb:

Jlappy

« Reply #3548 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:24 am »
I have an American pressing of Chocolate Kings, probably not the best place to start. I love prog and will pick up the "Storia" and "Amico" albums when I see it.

Paul

Those will be great finds.  I have Photos of Ghosts which is the English version of Amico and it is good.  I suspect as I infer from the reviews I have read a good deal is lost in the translation from Italian to English :cry:, yet musically great folk/prog.   

cheers,

Jim

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #3549 on: 29 Dec 2011, 11:29 am »
Rare Earth – Ma   Rare Earth – R 546L  US    1973   :thumb:

I just picked this one up early this evening  :D great funk & R&B  :thumb:

Nice find Jim that's one I don't see very often. Others to look for are
1. Get Ready
2. Egology
3. One World
4. Willie Remembers  (I just picked up my 3rd copy of this one, Finally one I'm happy with )

I have 3 or 4 after those but I wouldn't recommend them.

pumpkinman

« Reply #3550 on: 29 Dec 2011, 11:32 am »
Yes - 90125

For those of you looking for this Yes LP Finding it shouldn't be a problem. I see it alot in used record shops

Toni Rambold

« Reply #3551 on: 29 Dec 2011, 03:07 pm »
Quote from: neobop on Yesterday at 07:14 PM
I have a LP from '83 called Hearing Solar Winds by David Hykes and The Harmonic Choir...

... this record was reviewed by Robert J. Reina in TAS 33, pages 92-94.

HP's comment was: "The sound is fabulous - the effect otherworldly. A wonder. A super disc."

And he put this record immediately in the Super Discs List (page 186) ...  :thumb:

David Hykes: Hearing Solar Winds
The Harmonic Choir
Harmonia Mundi France/Ocora 558 607

8)
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2022, 02:01 pm by Toni Rambold »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3552 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:52 pm »
My ex wife was a hugh Madonna fan and I came to appreciate some of her work. I wound up with this (rare?) double LP. Nice change of pace, I like her tunes and the hard hitting stuff. Sound is remarkably good and compares well to the CD. We went to the live show for this American Life tour.

Thebiker

« Reply #3553 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:32 pm »

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: How Big Can You Get

This is a Cab Calloway tribute album and very well done.  I went to their holiday concert on Dec 21 at the Scottsdale Performing Arts Center, scored this LP and got the band to sign it for me.  Really nice guys.  Also great showmen that truly entertain. 

The only downside is that the speaker system at the performance center is not up to my standards, I felt it lacked clarity, especially the vocals..okay, so I'm picky, what can you expect from a member of this circle :roll:.

decal

« Reply #3554 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:58 pm »

Guns N' Roses  "Appetite for Destruction"

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3555 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:51 pm »
Me too. 8)

DaveyW

« Reply #3556 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:00 pm »
This got a full spin thru tonight for the 1st time in a long time.

I'd forgotten how good this as a total package is.

PS My fav. Rabin era Yes album is Talk - Might have to be next up

Kinger

« Reply #3557 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:48 pm »
90125 can definitely be had on the cheap.  Picked a copy up for $1 at my local used shop.  Quite a few copies in the dollar bin and I just picked up what looked like the one in the best condition.

Has anyone heard the recently released 180 gram version in comparison to the original pressing?  Wonder if it would be worth the asking price if you are a fan of the album.

pumpkinman

« Reply #3558 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm »
Tonights line-up will consist of live albums

C.C.R. Live in Europe
Rare Earth In Concert
Mountain Live ~ The Road Goes Ever On

SkyBlue

« Reply #3559 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:42 pm »
Hope - Hugh Masakela 180G 45rpm 2LP...Stimela

i first heard this at the CA Audio Show last year... coming out of a pair of Lotus Group Granada Loudspeakers...OMG.