What LPs have you listened to recently?

Wayner

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #3240 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:14 pm »

8)

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #3241 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:51 pm »
I've owned three of their albums since they were released back in the late 60's/early 70's. Classical baroque rock by Julliard trained musicians. Allmusic compares them to The Left Banke and The Zombies. P-man, I think you will like them. I will be on the lookout for some clean copies.

Laura

Thank You Laura, it's good to have friends and good to be the Pumpkinking :lol:

bside123

« Reply #3242 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:08 am »

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" 2007 Rounder Records 180g LP

Okay, I gave this record another try/spin today. I really want to like this record, but I'm sorry... it just doesn't "do it" for me. I can't get into it, even though I want to.

Maybe one of the reasons is that this album is so distinctly a T-Bone Burnett production. I've kind of gone sour on his various productions over the years. Lack luster; all sound the same. This record just isn't exciting like I know both Robert Plant and Alison Krauss can be.

The music and vocals don't sparkle, no sizzle. When you think of Robert Plants electrifying and emotionally rendering vocals and timing... well this ain't it. Neither does the album really show Alison's finesse, subtlety and heart tugging appeal.

Anyway, it goes this way sometimes. This is my experience. YMMV. Anybody have any reactions to this collaboration?

Delacroix

« Reply #3243 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:42 am »
Listening to Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow as I write -- it's been a few years and I'd forgotten how good this is musically.

Jlappy

« Reply #3244 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:05 am »
Family – Family Entertainment    :)

Excellent progressive rock, if you like early Genesis I think your enjoy this  :thumb:   

Jlappy

« Reply #3245 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:35 am »
Okay, I gave this record another try/spin today. I really want to like this record, but I'm sorry... it just doesn't "do it" for me. I can't get into it, even though I want to.

Maybe one of the reasons is that this album is so distinctly a T-Bone Burnett production. I've kind of gone sour on his various productions over the years. Lack luster; all sound the same. This record just isn't exciting like I know both Robert Plant and Alison Krauss can be.

The music and vocals don't sparkle, no sizzle. When you think of Robert Plants electrifying and emotionally rendering vocals and timing... well this ain't it. Neither does the album really show Alison's finesse, subtlety and heart tugging appeal.

Anyway, it goes this way sometimes. This is my experience. YMMV. Anybody have any reactions to this collaboration?

bside,  I have to agree with your take/review.  It was as if the two were trying too hard and there was a lack of synergy . . . to be truthful, IMHO it's an ok album/lp (or the cd i was given)  :oops:  yet not great, I won't be looking for it vinyl too hard. 

Perhaps it's karma  :dunno:  the collaboration between Krauss and Plant came on the heals of the successful collaboration between Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler.   So was this a record company trying to duplicate the synergy between Harris & Knopfler.   :dunno: I heard an interview with Harris and she said something like she hadn't experienced such synergy since she worked with Gram Parsons.   

I also remember hearing that Robert Plant was romantically interested in Alison Krauss, while for her this collaboration was strictly professional. 

Now musically I respect and value both Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, yet  for me the collaboration is a 3 out 5 stars . . . that's my two cents.

cheers,  Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #3246 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:45 am »

Cold Blood – Lydia   Warner Bros. Records    BS 2806    US    1974

funky soul  :thumb:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3248 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:56 pm »
Early Segovia - a rare NM from fleabay.

bside123

« Reply #3249 on: 14 Dec 2011, 05:14 pm »

Peter Tosh "Wanted Dread & Alive" 1981 EMI/Rolling Stones Records LP

Jlappy

« Reply #3250 on: 14 Dec 2011, 05:45 pm »
Listening to Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow as I write -- it's been a few years and I'd forgotten how good this is musically.

Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow . . . rocked my world when i found it when i was in high school, a few years ago  :) 

your posted prompted me to pull and spin this though:

Jeff Beck Group – Rough And Ready    :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3251 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:02 pm »

It's a mixed bag for me. Some of the songs I really like and I think there is good synergy between them (Gone, Gone Gone for example). Others don't seem to mesh at all. Maybe it is T-Bone :dunno:

bside123

« Reply #3252 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:13 pm »

Neil Young "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" 1978 Reissue, Reprise Records LP
originally released in 1969

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3253 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:14 pm »
Bside, can't add anything about the Plant/Krause album under discussion, but, damn, son, those are some mighty fine systems in your gallery!  I used to live in the country and converted a small barn to a listening room for my Acoustat Three's.  Just me, a stove, and a winerack.  And my dog, Stanley.  Real nice room, B.  Love to hear both sets of speaks.

And I love that Neil Young album.  He was the first rockster known to me who could play lengthy improvised solos.

DaveyW

« Reply #3254 on: 14 Dec 2011, 07:01 pm »
A bit of an 80's Pop Fest in the DaveyW house tonight  8)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3255 on: 14 Dec 2011, 09:06 pm »
Davey,

are those albums from your side of the pond? I have not heard of either.

Laura

DaveyW

« Reply #3256 on: 14 Dec 2011, 09:55 pm »
Davey,

are those albums from your side of the pond? I have not heard of either.

Laura

Yes Laura

Annabel Lamb had a mix of styles and her albums are a little hit and miss.
Brides is a good one, possibly a little over produced, slightly clynical but a nice variety of tunes and sounds great.

Transvision Vamp were a punky/pop act whose 1st two albums did quite well over here.
I prefer their debut Pop Art, but hadn't heard Velveteen for a while.

I think Brides would be more your cup-o-tea, might be worth checking out on Spotify?

Cheers
Dave

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #3257 on: 14 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm »
Badfinger – No Dice

etcarroll

« Reply #3258 on: 14 Dec 2011, 11:32 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, it's not just me then.

I like both artists, but not together.

etcarroll

« Reply #3259 on: 14 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm »
Went to college at SUNY at Syracuse, drove a beat up van I bought for $400 round trip Boston ->Syracuse with a cassette of Blow by Blow on side 1 and Wired on side 2, just kept flipping it. Made the trip bearable, (you should see what a $400 van in "75 looked like, and sounded like, esp. the cracked exhaust header under engine compartment cover, next to my right thigh. Right ear measures markedly worse then left today).