What LPs have you listened to recently?

PierreB

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #2940 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:01 am »
PierreB,

Is this the recent reissue? If so, how is the sound? DSOTM reviews on Amazon are pretty angry about the quality control and noise on this new reissue on vinyl

Hi Roscoeiii,
Yes it's the last reissue at 180gr from EMI and it's great. No surface noise except for 3 small pop on face 1. A must have if you like Pink Floyd.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2941 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:06 am »

DaveyW

« Reply #2942 on: 20 Nov 2011, 08:24 am »
Your Pumpkin candle holder is scaring me.

Are we sure that's what that is?

Given the proprietor - I'm personally suspecting it to be a giant Pumpkin Essence burner  :D

Last album on my rig;

Probably my least fav DS album, but it hadn't been out for a while (probably 5 years) so worth a spin - still not too sold 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2943 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:44 pm »

Probably my least fav DS album, but it hadn't been out for a while (probably 5 years) so worth a spin - still not too sold

Greetings Davey from a snowy and cold Spokane. While I'm not keen on side 2 and almost never play it, side 1 with Tunnel of Love, Romeo & Juliet and Skateaway is probably my favorite side of any DS album. I play that side at least twice as often as any other DS album. As a complete album, I like the first and Brothers in Arms.

Laura

DaveyW

« Reply #2944 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:58 pm »
Greetings Davey from a snowey and cold Spokane. While I'm not keen on side 2 and almost never play it, side 1 with Tunnel of Love, Romeo & Juliet and Skateaway is probably my favorite side of any DS album. I play that side at least twice as often as any other DS album. As a complete album, I like the first and Brothers in Arms.

Laura

Hi Laura,
That's actually a very good point.
I'm quite happy to play all the other DS albums all the way thru - this one I get bored with and it rarely stays on the deck to the very end.
Side one always gets played and it's during side two that it gets pulled.
So now I come to think of it I might be judging the whole album on side two.

Got to admit though,I expect albums to stand up as a whole and this one just doesn't quite make it for me.

Snow!

We've got pretty much the opposite over here.
October was the hottest ever (in fact we had the hottest day of the year in early October) and November's proving to be equal in comparative warmth.
The grass is still growing, leaves remain steadfast on the Oak trees at the bottom of our garden and even today we still have butterflies out and about - All quite strange.

Cheers
Dave

bside123

« Reply #2945 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:15 pm »

Robert Flack "First Take" 1969 Atlantic Records LP

... tryin' to make it real compared to what ? ...

sts9fan

« Reply #2946 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:23 pm »
Got the new Sigur Ros live set "Inni" this week. Sounds great!

joegator81

« Reply #2947 on: 20 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm »
No matter how i try i can't stop listening to Alice in Chains "Unplugged". Amazing dynamics, tight detailed bass. You can easily hear the characteristics of the pickups. I also think that one of the guitar's action was set too low and you can hear the fret buzz. Probably the quietest LP i've got.

The new release of Pink Floyds "wish you were here" is phenomenal. Very quiet except for an unfortunate scratch on side two that starts at the beginning of wish you were here and continues through to the beginning of shine on. Other than that it is amazing, especially wish you were (regardless of the pops at 10 second intervals) and welcome to the machine. I'm a sucker for a well recorded acoustic guitar and both of these tracks have them in spades. Hopefully my second copy will be perfect.

Smashing pumpkins "siamese dream" crushes the cd.

What else? New Ryan Adams is very good. Pulp (Different Class and This is Hardcore). Eddie Vedder "Into the Wild". Herbie Hancock. Patricia Barber "Mythologies".

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2948 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm »

Inspired by an email from the pumpkinman :thumb:

Get the vinyl Bill, you won't be disappointed :D

Love the live version of Free Bird

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2949 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:31 am »

pumpkinman

« Reply #2950 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:29 am »

Jlappy

« Reply #2951 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:02 am »

Steve Hillage – Fish Rising    Virgin International    VI 2031    US    1975  :thumb:

pumpkinman

« Reply #2952 on: 21 Nov 2011, 11:47 am »
Ron Wood ~ Gimme Some Neck

I took an immediate liking to this LP that I purchased this weekend. So I went to AllMusic Guide
to check out their rating as this album was unknown to me. AllMusic rated it 8 stars and a AMG
album pick..............Bill

http://www.allmusic.com/album/gimme-some-neck-r22255

Jlappy

« Reply #2953 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:32 pm »
Ron Wood ~ Gimme Some Neck

Hey Bill,  Thank you, you know I have no Ron Wood solo lps, i'll need to put him on my vinyl radar  :wink:   . . . so much good music out there!   cheers,  Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #2954 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »

Colosseum – Those Who Are About To Die Salute You Dunhill  DS-50062    Canada  1969

Excellent British Prog rock, if you like organ and saxophone you'll dig these  :thumb:

DaveyW

« Reply #2955 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:45 pm »
                             THE HOUSE IS ROCKIN' 

roscoeiii

« Reply #2956 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:58 pm »

Jack DeJohnette "Special Edition"

Wow, more mighty great sounding recordings from ECM to come...

pumpkinman

« Reply #2957 on: 21 Nov 2011, 09:45 pm »
Hey Bill,  Thank you, you know I have no Ron Wood solo lps, i'll need to put him on my vinyl radar  :wink:   . . . so much good music out there!   cheers,  Jim

I bought because I didn't have it and it was $1
I really like it. It has a good beat and you can really dance to it  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

pumpkinman

« Reply #2958 on: 21 Nov 2011, 09:57 pm »
Inspired by an email from the pumpkinman :thumb:

Get the vinyl Bill, you won't be disappointed :D

I'll be sure to be on the lookout Laura

Jlappy

« Reply #2959 on: 22 Nov 2011, 03:37 am »
I bought because I didn't have it and it was $1
I really like it. It has a good beat and you can really dance to it  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Bill  :bowdown:  great dancing pumpkin now all you need to do is get him to dance on DaveyW's spinning platter  :wink: