What LPs have you listened to recently?

vinyl_lady

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #2920 on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:01 am »
This is the 180g reissue by Friday Music mastered by Joe Reagoso and Kevin Gray at RTI from the original analoge tapes. They did a great job on this pressing. No surface noise, lots of detail and a fuller presentation.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2921 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm »
Multi-instrumentalist John Surman with Karin Krog and Pierre Favre- Such Winters of Memory (ECM, 1982). 

DaveyW

« Reply #2922 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:18 pm »

I've been told Nighmare 2 is even better than the original.

Doing a little homework before pulling the trigger - but it's bit pricy on vinyl over here  :evil:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2923 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:25 am »
Alice Cooper ~ Easy Action

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2924 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:15 am »

pumpkinman

« Reply #2925 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm »
1969 ~ Soundtrack LP

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2926 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:25 pm »
Some good songs on that one Bill, haven't heard Canned Heat since forever. Wooden Ships was always a fave, and after I walk Cosmo I may have to put some Jimi on.

Your Pumpkin candle holder is scaring me.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2927 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:33 pm »
Friday night and I've uncorked a couple bottles for the session:

Michelle Shocked- Short, Sharp, Shocked (Mercury).  The title is kinda misleading.  This is really some poignant stuff.  Reminds me some of Patty Larkin in the way she tells stories.  Her band is sensational on this and well recorded to include some very nice organ work;

Allman Bros at The Fillmore East (Capricorn). Whipping Post is good to the last drop (where it's sensational).  Seriously, the out-take is exquisite and not something you would expect from a bunch of gruffy lookin Southern white boys.  And, the organ again.  Love that mutha;

Bennie Maupin- Slow Traffic to the Right (Mercury).  Excellent keyboards from Patrice Rushen especially on the note perfect opening track.  Great and very accessible jazz album;

McLaughlin and Santana- Love, Devotion, Surrender (Columbia).  The Life Divine is a rocket ship and Santana has never been as intense, that I've heard.  Billy Cobham holds nothing back on drums.  Wow!  Problem is the mix almost kills it.  Doug Rauch's bass is all but lost, too, but the energy on this track, in particular, is something seldom experienced in any recording, even Coltrane's most intense stuff.  If the mix weren't so murky and dumbed down it might just kill you.  Save it for when you can listen LOUD.

Aja- Steely Dan.  The Cisco 180g release.  Don't know if you've ever noticed (don't see how you could help if you've listened to much live muisc) but the drum heads sound like they have a blanket over them.  Still, it's Steely Dan and the pressing is clean. 

pumpkinman

« Reply #2928 on: 19 Nov 2011, 09:27 pm »
Black Sabbath ~ Paranoid

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2929 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm »
Friday night and I've uncorked a couple bottles for the session:

Allman Bros at The Fillmore East (Capricorn). Whipping Post is good to the last drop (where it's sensational).  Seriously, the out-take is exquisite and not something you would expect from a bunch of gruffy lookin Southern white boys.  And, the organ again.  Love that mutha;

Aja- Steely Dan.  The Cisco 180g release.  Don't know if you've ever noticed (don't see how you could help if you've listened to much live muisc) but the drum heads sound like they have a blanket over them.  Still, it's Steely Dan and the pressing is clean.

I'm with you on two out of five Jim. :) I prefer the original pressing of Aja to the 180g Cisco. Drums defintely sound more life-like.

BTW, Red or white :wine:

PierreB

« Reply #2930 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #2931 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm »
PierreB,

Is this the recent reissue? If so, how is the sound? DSOTM reviews on Amazon are pretty angry about the quality control and noise on this new reissue on vinyl

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2932 on: 20 Nov 2011, 12:05 am »
I'm with you on two out of five Jim. :) I prefer the original pressing of Aja to the 180g Cisco. Drums defintely sound more life-like.

BTW, Red or white :wine:
I don't remember.  Jus kidding.  A little Pinot.

orthobiz

« Reply #2933 on: 20 Nov 2011, 12:18 am »
Black Sabbath ~ Paranoid 
  ooooh, GREEN LABEL Warner Bros!  Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2934 on: 20 Nov 2011, 12:19 am »
Doing a little homework before pulling the trigger - but it's bit pricy on vinyl over here  :evil:

Uhh, pricey nothin'! Everything you buy there used is an IMPORT here! :lol:

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #2935 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:17 am »
Traffic LP from the land of DaveyW

pumpkinman

« Reply #2936 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:48 am »
Barclay James Harvest ~ Time Honoured Ghosts

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2937 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:59 am »
Back at ya Bill :thumb:

I have two copies of this album. The one I played is a one disc white Island label with a stop light and cars and the other a double album with a purple Island label with a skyscraper on it. The gatefold covers are identical. Anyone know the why there are two different versins of this album?

Thanks

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2938 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:11 am »

This is the 2011 remastered on 180g vinyl. :thumb: :thumb: All I can say is WOW! More dynamics, more clarity, a fuller musical presentation, and a dead quiet background--no surface noise. A much more revealing presentation that the original. They did a great job with this one. Definitely worth the purchase IMO.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2939 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:53 am »

U.K. pressing

Friday Music 180g reissue. Excellent pressing--sounds terrific.