Found it!

Mag

Found it!
« on: 6 Mar 2021, 10:34 pm »
 Just subscribed to Amazon HD. Decided to do a Search for Shubert: Symphony No.8 Unfinished by Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Lorin Maazel, and I found it! There were also many others listed.

Now I'm not really into classical, I have a couple albums maybe 5 or 6. This Symphony I use to listen to quite a bit mainly when I went to bed, I could fall asleep to it. However I had lent it to my friend and his place caught fire and I guess the record was lost too. That was many years ago and I still have the album jacket.

I tried one or two other Shubert 8th's but they didn't do it for me like this version. I suppose all Symphonies are subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :smoke:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Found it!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2021, 10:46 pm »
Maazel is an under rated composer IMO.  His Sibelius symphonies are top notch too, IMO.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2021, 11:25 pm »
It's easy to like Maazel/Berlin! He is excellent on music of that era, Beethoven, Schubert, etc.
For Schubert 8th I also like Munch/BSO on JVC.

Speaking of finding old music again... I heard a Bach piece on the radio in 1984 while driving in the car. I wasn't a classical fan then but it touched me deeply and I tried to find it again for 30 years. All I knew is it was a Bach harpsichord concerto but that's it. I bought a lot of CDs of Bach harpsichord but nothing ever did it for me like that first time. After a while I thought I had imagined it, it wasn't really that great, it's probably something that I hear all the time now and it was just a first impression experience. But then I did finally hear it again on the radio, 30 years later and 1000 miles away and it was just like the first time, so exciting and emotional, I had a similar experience again. Back in 1984 there was no way to find out what it was - no phone in the car to call the station, no website to look it up, no shazam. This time all I had to do was look it up on the station's online playlist when I got home and order the CD from ArkivMusic. It was their reissue from an old DG recording. Now I listen to it all the time and the same emotion comes every time. It was Bach Double Harpsichord Concerto with Trevor Pinnock and English Concert, BWM 1061, 3rd movement Fuga. When I heard it again 5 years ago it was still available as an ArkivMusic Reissue, but looks like it's out of print again. Edit: it’s on qobuz  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2021, 11:49 pm »
Very cool story, richardoo!  Pinnock was a real pioneer in Bach and getting modern performance practice to match what Bach would have done/heard in his own time.

tbeeson

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2021, 08:30 pm »
What are people's impressions of Amazon HD. Pricewise it seems to be great, is it worth a try?