• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston 20 Year Warranty Question
« on: 6 Jun 2020, 01:40 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 20 Year Warranty Question

June 2020

Hi Folks,

A number of times over the years I have been asked about the Bryston 20 Year Warranty and how it came about. In a recent interview I did for a European magazine I was asked again and thought my answer may be of interest to our customers.

“James you are famous for the fact that your company provides a 20-year warranty on analog devices. Does it work? Is it worth it? Is it not so that this warranty is really included in the price of the product and the customer pays for it at the start?”

ANSWER

We implemented the 20 year warranty in 1990 when we were 18 years old.

Even though back then we had a 5 year warranty we had never charged for a repair. So after 18 years we were still seeing our original amplifiers operating without issues so we decided to make it official and offer a 20 Year warranty.

So the warranty was never about who pays for it – it was the outcome of building a product with the best possible parts and with the long-term reliability in mind. 

Many people assume that we just build in the cost of inevitable repairs, but we don’t. We work really hard to design robust gear that will outlast us all. Furthermore, our electronics go through a 100 hour test cycle at our factory before shipping to ensure quality.

Another unforeseen outcome at the time of implementing the 20 year warranty is it affected the way our engineers design our products. If the engineer has to think in terms of the gear lasting 20 years his or hers decisions about what parts to incorporate and what life expectancy of all circuit layouts and electrical issues are critical to the process.  This makes for a culture that truly is dedicated to a reliable and long-lasting product.

James Tanner
V/P Bryston
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2020, 03:45 pm by James Tanner »

R. Daneel

Re: Bryston 20 Year Warranty Question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:34 pm »
Beautiful! Thanks for elaborating that James!

In other words, Bryston is a company that strives for engineering excellence. Like you say, the long-term reliabolity becomes a criteria by which engineers must abide in the beginning and then it becomes a part of their mindset. Superb!

Cheers!
Antun

Testsystems

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2021, 09:57 pm »
Absolutely the 20 year warranty is both the result of excellent engineering and good business savvy. 

The warranty administration is never worth the effort and disruption to the daily operation.   And should Bryston repair a unit out of warranty their cost is unbelievably reasonable.  Clearly not intended to be a profit centre but a customer satisfaction and loyalty driver.

I cant say enough good things about Mike Picket and his team.

Drew

hawk647

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2021, 07:30 pm »
In my case when a problem that was fixed reared its head again, Bryston replaced the motherboard for a very reasonable fee - FREE.

Timslim18

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2021, 03:40 pm »
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Mike Pickett is amazing.

saarnold

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2021, 02:09 pm »
This is good to know as I have just become a new member of the Bryston ‘membership’ - purchased the BP17 cubed and the 2.5B cubed.
Apart from the amazing SQ and all things ‘Hi End’ it was the 20 year warranty that swayed me compared to other high end amps as unforeseen repairs are not cheap at this level of the marketplace.