Horn Speakers: (Who owns them? Who likes them?)

Freo-1

Re: Horn Speakers: (Who owns them? Who likes them?)
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2012, 11:50 pm »
The Jazz Modules also look sexy in my personal opinion.   I like them more than many other bespoke "sexy" furniture grade speakers.  There is something very proportional to their dimensions.

Good looks and good sound is always a winning combination.  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2012, 11:57 pm »
I've never heard them, but Duke is a student (at least initially) of Geddes and I've heard Geddes.  Duke has looks over Geddes, which more residential abodes with non-dedicated HT room could tolerate.   I never understood Geddes's position on that matter.  He is missing way too large of a market share IMHO.

medium jim

« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2012, 12:37 am »
I like them, especially my friends Avantgarde Trio's with bass horns:

Jim

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2012, 02:46 am »
I think I like the girl in your avatar.

hpc

« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2012, 06:59 pm »
Tried taking pics, but in a theatre-black room, black carpet, black ceilings, the light from the flash is
absorbed leaving you with a dull image of charcoal.  The Edgarhorns just blend in with the black.

But, at the 2003 Midwest Audiofest, TNT (audio mag) did have a couple of shots of my system which Bruce
used at the show before delivering them.  The amps I have are the SET version of the PP-monoblocs; otherwise,
everything else is the same...the finish on the speakers is satin black.  Piano black looks great but reflects light which
is distracting when watching movies.

The pics are located about 2/3's of the way down the page:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/shows/maf03_e.html

Cheers!

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2012, 09:25 pm »
I especially like the way horns have the ability to 'activate' the room you place them in.

Had the privilege of hearing a friend's H2W10 model from Sunny Cable Technology, dubbed the "Mini Majestic" by Stereo Times. Never had the opportunity to hear its even less affordable larger siblings, but these speakers can rock da house with the right kind of power; an extremely well-balanced speaker that gets a lot right...and no horn 'honk'!

I own the AudioKinesis Jazz Modules--quite possibly the most 'inoffensive' horn-type speakers I've heard...Duke probably could have called them the Smooth Modules...very smooth. 8) 

rockadanny

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2012, 12:58 am »
I keep trying to hear a pair in Atlanta but unsuccessful so far. If anyone in Atlanta wants to show theirs off I'd love to hear a pair. I'd be happy to supply your favorite beverage to hear what all the fuss is about.

56oval

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2012, 10:51 am »
Hello

After hearing a pair of Unity's and a apir of Yorkville Unitys I wouldn't mind building a pair of these .

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/coming-soon-s3-my-next-synergy-horn.html

Paul has built a couple of different prototypes and the next pair will be these . looking forward to hearing them and maybe pairing them to my SET amps .

CHeers

Filament

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:35 pm »
Well-implemented reasonably phase-coherent sealed direct radiator (DR) midbass

vs.

Back-loaded horns (with inevitable phase transition suckout <150Hz) providing more efficient LF coupling to airmass in front of the driver at LF than DR while maintaining DR efficiency >150Hz

vs.

High efficiency gain (above Fc) relatively phase-coherent vented back chamber front-loaded midbass horns that shift to standard less phase coherent vented DR output characteristics below Fc down to the Fb

vs.

Highly-efficient phase coherent but inherently bandwidth-limited sealed back chamber front-loaded midbass horns

Various tradeoffs...

versus rider

« Reply #29 on: 4 Nov 2012, 06:47 pm »
Original owner of a pair of '85 Klipschorns.  Replaced top-end with V-Trac's from Volti Audio, BMS 4592ND-MID's, and Selenium D220Ti's,  AK2 Crossover replaced with Universal kit from ALK Engineering. 

Yes...difficult to match a 104 dB woofer, a 118 dB mid, and a 109 dB tweeter, but love the sound!

Mike
not so difficult if you are not averse to active crossovers. I also run 4592 mid drivers with 200Hz tractrix horns, Raal tweeters 95db and Eminence alpha woofers. Tri-amped. solid state oomph up the woofers and sets for mid and treble. Hats off to those purists who want to do it all with one flea powered amp that won't move a 15" woofer the way my 130w will.

versus rider

« Reply #30 on: 4 Nov 2012, 07:05 pm »

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:51 am »
My current speakers are a pair of the Frugal horn Sachiko Double Horns. They call them back loaded horns, but really they are a transmission line. I got the cabinets from a person off of Audiogon in California. First I installed a pair of the Fostex 206 drivers in them, but these drivers are just too coarse for my liking. Eventually I located a pair of first generation 208 Sigma drivers, and got them installed. Significant improvement, far more refined and better tonal balance.

I wired the cabinets with Cardas SE 15 series speaker wire, and Cardas pure copper binding wire. I lined the driver chamber with Sonic barrier from Parts Express, and a small amount of Dacron at the throat of the lower and upper horn throat.

Speaker is 97 or 98dB efficient, and is able to be run off a SET with Type 45 tube. 3dB down point is 50 hertz, and i run them full range with an Infinity Cascade 15 subwoofer for the bottom end.

I like the speaker system, but its really not a true horn. I have a couple of friends with modified K Horns, some custom built 3 way horns with J bass horns, a mid horn that looks like it belongs on a Victrola, and a horn super tweeter, and one  that has some custom Altec/GPA 604 speakers. Of the bunch the custom 3 ways are bar far the best, but its taken years to get them right, and require multiple amps, and a computer system for x over, driver time alignment, and digital room correction.

i do not have that kind of money, or wood working skills. So the Sachiko are going to have to be good enough for me for the time being.

Regards
Mister Pig

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #32 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:29 am »
They call them back loaded horns, but really they are a transmission line.

Only in the sense that all horns are transmssion lines (used in the larger Quarter Wave resonator sense).

dave