New to AudioCircle

audiojanitor

New to AudioCircle
« on: 3 Feb 2024, 01:05 am »
Hello everyone,

I am Audiojanitor, semi-retired. My background is location recording, studio recording, live sound FOH. Recently renovating our house and plan to update the acoustic elements in my modest studio. Always excited about learning new and old design concepts for small room acoustics. Does anyone have experience with low profile bass traps such as RPG plate resonator bass traps, MLV type such as Acoustic Geometry CornerSorbers, or PSI AVAA.
The room dimensions I have to work around will be approximately 21' 10'' Long, 12' 5" wide, with an 8' ceiling. Old lath and plaster, wood floors. I am not sure of much of the design yet, however I will likely need some bass trapping.

Thanks, and looking forward to meeting everyone.

Randy

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
Re: New to AudioCircle
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2024, 12:36 pm »
Welcome, Randy!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2024, 01:21 pm »
Welcome!

Have you done any room measurements?  Do you have loudspeakers in mind?  What's your budget?  Is the room well insulated?

I included a listening studio in the basement when we built a house 18 years ago.  The room is 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (close to yours and in Golden Rectange proportions).  Walls/ceiling are well insulated (interior partitions are staggered stud construction).  Floor is carpet /pad over slab on grade/insulation.  Included an exterior insulated fiberglass door with weather seals and flexible/lined/insulated ductwork.  The first few days it was spooky quiet and can't hear the furnace.  Compared to the rest of the house it cost no more to build.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2024, 02:00 pm by JLM »

audiojanitor

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2024, 03:27 am »
Hello JLM,

I have not done any measurements yet. At this point I am trying to understand the structural engineering and assembly design of our 1880 home. We have two small adjacent bedrooms that we might make as one into the 22' X 12', they share two common walls that might be supporting walls. I will likely have to consult with a structural engineer before starting anything.

I am still curious about what is available for low profile bass traps and how efficient they might be in the small rooms. I have two subs that might be useful for reducing modal problems.

Did you need much interior acoustic treatment, bass traps etc.?

Randy

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2024, 02:00 pm »
My room is drywall walls and ceiling.  Have three tall bookcases on the side walls that act as "casual" diffusers.  Bought six 2ft x 4ft GIK absorption panels (now called B4) for the first reflection points.  Tried them in various spots, generally helped deaden the room a bit, but they made significant improvements in a couple of other rooms.  Then added four 2ft x 4ft GIK bass traps in the front corners, again found little improvement.  I attribute that to the ideal room shape and midfield setup. 

Being a fan of Floyd Toole I then bought three subwoofers and located them 12", 20", and 31" from corners to tame the modes.  Seemed to help a little. 

Being a typical driven audiophile I then tried a variety of room EQ including Dirac.  Members of my small audio club were divided as to whether or not they preferred Dirac or not.  Again room shape and setup is probably the answer.

I like GIK because they offer advice and use science to select good materials (like Owens Corning 703 high density fiberglass).  IMO nearly all audiophiles way over buy gear for a given room.  My basement room lacks windows. 

AllanS

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2024, 02:20 pm »
Welcome aboard Randy!
It will be interesting to keep up with your progression.  It sounds like you’re starting with a good amount of knowledge to guide you.  I’d be surprise if the interior walls aren’t load bearing.
Low profile bass traps I suppose is relative to frequency range and what you consider to be low profile. Depending on what you end up needing you might check out Acoustic Fields products.
I also have GIK products in my asymmetric small space (11x14 portion of 14x19x8 room) that provide measurable but not necessarily audible improvements (to my ears).  (Impression front wall corner and rear wall diffusion/bass traps, 244 sidewall bass traps). 
They provide effective decay treatment but what I was trying to address was room modes that I didn’t understand at the time.  I’ve since measured the room and treated the bass peaks with DSP rather than 2’ thick panels.
Best of luck!

youngho

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2024, 03:15 pm »
I am Audiojanitor, semi-retired. My background is location recording, studio recording, live sound FOH. Recently renovating our house and plan to update the acoustic elements in my modest studio. Always excited about learning new and old design concepts for small room acoustics. Does anyone have experience with low profile bass traps such as RPG plate resonator bass traps, MLV type such as Acoustic Geometry CornerSorbers, or PSI AVAA.

Testing by NWAA labs (https://www.nwaalabs.com/) suggests that the RealAcoustix BassMod products (https://www.realacoustix.net/architectural-bass-absorption) are effective, more so than VPR absorbers IIRC. If you're on Facebook, Ron Sauro (of NWAA) and John Brandt contribute to the Recording Studios and Other Acoustic Spaces private group. Brandt has a design called limp bag, but I don't know the details. PSI AVAA are primarily effective at the lowest frequencies but can be quite helpful in reducing decay times there.