Subwoofer info

Louis O

Subwoofer info
« on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:53 pm »
Hi All,

I would like to update the Sub situation and let everyone know what's on the horizon.

I have 2 models on the bench and they are completed. I do have to build the final versions in veneer.

1) The DeepOmega Micro

It's an 11 inch cube and like my others will be bottom firing. The sub is extremely fast and articulate. It's designed for music as with all the previous subs before it. This one loads up really fast though and has a really nice punch to it. It will use my 8" Omega sub driver as I have always used.

Price is going to be $595 each and will come in this finish

EKO Quilted BLack

2) The DeepOmega duo

From the name it sounds like I'm using 2 drivers and I will be. I'm also configured them in a bipole operation. These play fast and detailed as well as very clean. They can handle a lot of power and load up the room easily.

Price is not hammered down yet, but will be very good.

Also they will be the base of a component series. I'm working on using the footprint of this sub and make top full range cabinets that are stackable. These top full range cabinets will come in a variety of configurations. Could be a monopole or a dipole or a front and top firing setup. Could be alnico drivers are RS7's or RS5's.

Also my RS12 is done and ready. It's an Omega driver for complete speakers. A lot more about these soon.

Thanks,
Louis

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Subwoofer info
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:38 am »
Exciting!

DeepOmega Micro:  I like down firing subs (cat/kid friendly, no downstairs neighbors to worry about).  Any specifications, like amp used, F3, maximum rated dB output, cross-over frequency cut off (hopefully fairly high to help small speakers fill the room)?

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:46 am »
Hi Louis and all Audio Circle members.
I am anxious to see (With pictures) all your new babies...

Guy 13

beowulf

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2013, 08:37 pm »
I'm going to pick one up (after this government shut down thing gets fixed :cuss:) to pair up with my Custom 7F's ... I could almost get 2 at that price!  Any chance of getting them in Walnut though?

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:45 pm »
Hi Guy 13,

Thanks and they should be posted soon. I have the micro on the bench getting veneered.

Hi beowulf,

Great to hear and they are a great value. I'll see if I can work out the walnut as well.

2 is great and will really open up the room. You can always get 1 and add later.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2013, 06:23 am »
The deepOmega Micron (the official name now) is now available and on the Omega website with all the details.
See link: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomegamicron.html

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2013, 08:20 pm »
Any idea how this would compare to the Hoyt-Bedford type 3?

Also. I have a pair of Alnico 6XRS floorstanders. I usually keep the bottom firing ports blocked as I prefer the sound. Would adding one or two of these subs give me an appreciable gain? or am I already covering that area pretty well?

Thanks!

Paul

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:16 pm »
Hi doggie,

Many thanks and I also like the ports blocked for certain recordings. I also like the versatility that you can choose between ported and sealed. If I were to use subs I would go sealed though.

Either the type 3 or the Micron will add deeper bass and 2 would always be better than 1. I also think that you can add subs in steps and get 1 to start and add another later. The twin subs will give you much better soundstage and couple the room much better. They won't go down lower.

Both are great and very fast and tuned for music. The smaller micron loads up very fast and is a bit more punchy. I like the type 3 with acoustic music, classical etc.

Thanks again,
Louis

sailender

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2013, 06:40 am »
Hi Louis

Need InstructionS to connect DEEP MICRON to an Integrated amp.
I intend to connect amp speaker out put to the sub speaker line inputs.

Why jumpers are provided?
Do I retain them for my type of connection
Sameer

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2013, 03:13 pm »
From the Omega website, the deepOmega Micron subwoofer has high level (speaker cable) inputs, low level (RCA) stereo inputs, and combined low level (RCA) input (otherwise known as LFE or Low Frequency Effects).  So lots of options to pick from.

If your integrated has LFE output, you can use it.  The output will send only low frequency signal to the sub (most cut off at around 80 Hz).

If your integrated has pre-amplifier outputs, you can use them.  The output would include all frequencies.  The sub has a frequency cutoff adjustment from 40 - 200 Hz which should provide plenty of control.  The subwoofer's RCA outputs could then be routed back to the integrated's power amp inputs to feed the main speakers.

If your integrated has neither of the above, you can connect the sub using the speaker outputs.  Again the output would include all frequencies and the frequency cutoff can be adjusted.  You'd then need to connect the main speakers through the subwoofer outputs.  Note that the subwoofer would still use it's own power amp and not take power from the integrated.

Purists would use the pre-amp outputs to keep the signal as clean as possible, but which method works best is up to you. 

beowulf

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:13 am »
I have a couple questions for you guys who use subs ~ In your opinion ...

Is it better two use 2 subs as opposed to 1?

and/or

Is it better to use no subs as opposed to 1?

sailender

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:05 am »
From the Omega website, the deepOmega Micron subwoofer has high level (speaker cable) inputs, low level (RCA) stereo inputs, and combined low level (RCA) input (otherwise known as LFE or Low Frequency Effects).  So lots of options to pick from.

If your integrated has LFE output, you can use it.  The output will send only low frequency signal to the sub (most cut off at around 80 Hz).

If your integrated has pre-amplifier outputs, you can use them.  The output would include all frequencies.  The sub has a frequency cutoff adjustment from 40 - 200 Hz which should provide plenty of control.  The subwoofer's RCA outputs could then be routed back to the integrated's power amp inputs to feed the main speakers.

If your integrated has neither of the above, you can connect the sub using the speaker outputs.  Again the output would include all frequencies and the frequency cutoff can be adjusted.  You'd then need to connect the main speakers through the subwoofer outputs.  Note that the subwoofer would still use it's own power amp and not take power from the integrated.

Purists would use the pre-amp outputs to keep the signal as clean as possible, but which method works best is up to you.

Thank you.
Your third option is applicable to my requirement . I intend to connect amp speaker output to high level input of MICRONs.
Is it required/mandatory to connect subwoofer output to main speaker again?.If so Why?

doggie

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:59 pm »
"Purists would use the pre-amp outputs to keep the signal as clean as possible, but which method works best is up to you."

In poking around the various forums looking for information regarding high level(speaker inputs) versus low level inputs(RCA/XLR) I was surprised to find out that REL actually recommends speaker level inputs for best integration with your existing speakers. Evidently it helps with timing.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2013, 03:56 pm »
I'd try it both ways.

I would not run from the sub to the main speakers if using the speaker level inputs. Usually, that gives you a high passed output... you can go from amp to speakers and use another run of speaker cable to go to the sub.

beo, it's better to use 2 subs and even better to use 3 or 4.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:17 pm »
Hooking up a single sub or multiple subs for music:

Speaker level is considered the best in most cases and the reason is; that the sub will reflect the sound signature of the main amp which will cause the sub to have greater synergy with the main speakers.  In some cases however, line level may be better if the amp (like some SETS or amps with low damping factor) have a softer, less defined bass.  The other advantage of using line level is if the main amp or pre-amp has outputs that allow only the higher frequencies to be handled by the main amp (helpful in the case of low powered amps) and lower frequencies to be handled by the sub.

If hooking up speaker level connections to a sub, always run both sets of cables from the speaker outputs on the main amp, not from the speaker outputs on the back of the sub.  If the sub is to be beside the main speakers and the same distance from the listener's ears, the cable running from the main amp to the sub, whether it is line level or speaker level should never be longer than the cables running to the main speakers (preferably they should be shorter).  If the cable running to the sub is longer, then the sub will always lag behind, regardless of what you do with the phase control or phase switch.  To go into other scenarios with subs would require many more paragraphs.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:23 pm »
  Agree with Dave 2 subs at a minimum. Ron Bauman of Mapleshade suggested I try running sub off speakers.  Compared from preamp to sub and speaker to sub. More dynamics, slam and weight. He was right. no turning back for me.  Try both and you decide. Just make sure cables are same length. Have fun.

charles

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:55 am »
Yeah, multiple subs even out room nodes so you have less variation in volume in different areas of the room. Mgalusha has three 12" servo subs with a Behringer digital xover/eq and the results are the best I've ever heard with the possible exception of the $500k Wilson setup at RMAF this year. So optimally, get three or four, position them as best you can, then use dsp/eq.

No matter how many subs you have placement is important. If you only have one sub it is possible to set it up to get good results at your listening position with careful placement in some cases. Sub placement, especially when you get to multiple subs, is a pretty big topic and well worth researching to optimize your system. There is a big thread here about multiple subs with a lot of good info from some very knowledgeable posters.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106756.0

beowulf

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2013, 02:10 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys ... if multi subs are not in the budget (I can only afford one Omega Sub right now) would you suggest waiting or do you still think a single sub set up properly would be of more benefit than no sub at all?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:08 am »
I've been using a single 10" sealed sub, it works fine, just play with placement until you get the best results you can. I would start with the sub between the speakers. I would like to upgrade to multiple 12s but a single 10 is better than nothing...

beowulf

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2013, 04:07 am »
I've been using a single 10" sealed sub, it works fine, just play with placement until you get the best results you can. I would start with the sub between the speakers. I would like to upgrade to multiple 12s but a single 10 is better than nothing...

Thanks Dave! :thumb: