Looking for help to decide on GR gear

ikir

Looking for help to decide on GR gear
« on: 3 Jun 2021, 05:02 pm »
Newbie here,

I currently have Maggies 1.7i and being considering for some time getting subs, and then,  maybe upgrade speakers to NX-Otica/NX-Treme.
My listening room is also my leaving room and probably really not great, but that sort of the only options that I have. I attached photos of the space (apologies for the mess :D) - it's opens into kitchen and entrance area, in terms of dimensions it's 20'x20' with 7' - 11' ceilings.

My other gear is mostly DIY from Vacuum Tube Audio, pre-amp: SP14 amp: M-125 monoblocks

The questions I have are:

1) Should I get double or triple subs?
2) Would make sense to get NX speakers? And if yes, any recommendation on how to decide Otica vs. Treme?

Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback.

Jaytor

Re: Looking for help to decide on GR gear
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2021, 08:03 pm »
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. The room is fairly large with a lot of volume because of the cathedral ceilings, so the triples might give you a bit more headroom if you really like to crank the music. I have the triples playing into a 29' x 17' x 8' and I've never been able to overdrive them playing pretty loud.

I've never heard the NX-Tremes but, as I understand it, they have a bit more meat on the bones in the upper bass, but otherwise sound pretty similar to the NX-Oticas (which I do own). You've got fairly high ceilings, so you could get away with the NX-Tremes. I think it comes down to whether you'd be happy with speakers that are ~7ft tall.

I've owned several pair of Maggies over the years, and if you like the open, airy sound, but are looking for more dynamics and deeper bass, you'll be thrilled with these speakers.

Dagoods

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2021, 08:21 pm »
I have Maggie 1.6's and Go with the triples!

I just finished building my triples a couple of months ago and they sound amazing. I was able to blend them in with the Maggie's have been very pleased with the results. I also have Danny's crossover upgrade for the Maggie's and the difference was like night and day. More detail and clarity.

Here's a link to the build I did.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174867.0

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2021, 08:56 pm »
For that room -- three triples, man.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2021, 09:35 pm »
Start with the triple subs. They will blend very well with your Maggies. You may find you are happy at that point. If later on you decide to get oticas or X-Tremes you will already have the triple subs.

Here's a pic of triples with Martin Logan Summit Xs

mkrawcz

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2021, 10:45 pm »
1. Triples
2.yes, get the NXtremes. You have nice high ceilings and the NXtremes will sound amazing. 

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2021, 11:49 pm »
I agree with everything being said, looks like a great space for enjoying some music.  Why stop at triples?? you could easily do quads or 6 stacks in that space, the more the merrier so to speak

Cheers,

Don

ikir

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2021, 01:13 am »
I agree with everything being said, looks like a great space for enjoying some music.  Why stop at triples?? you could easily do quads or 6 stacks in that space, the more the merrier so to speak

Cheers,

Don

Lol, I hope it’s a joke :) filling room with bunch of speakers is not going to go well with significant other :)

ikir

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2021, 01:16 am »
Thanks everyone for your feedback!
I forgot to mention that I don’t really listen music too loud, most of the time it’s in < 80-85db at 8ft distance from speakers.

What would you folks, suggests with regard to placements? Where should subs go?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2021, 01:33 am »
If placement/space is an issue, the Otica MTMs sitting on top of a pair of dual subs, which are a nice option, since you won't need to find the space for 4 BIG towers. You'll lose a little bit of the scale that comes with the Oticas/Xtremes, but they should be a little nicer on the WAF side of things.

I've heard the NX-Tremes with triple on a couple occasions now, and i doubt I'll ever hear anything better.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2021, 03:49 am »
Why stop at triples?? you could easily do quads or 6 stacks in that space, the more the merrier so to speak

Totally. You can't O.D. on subs. 

subsonic1050

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2021, 05:19 am »
My opinion is probably of little help as my speakers aren't done yet - but I'll just throw in there that I'm another Maggie 1.7i owner who made the plunge. I ordered the triple servo's and the NX-Treme's. I wanted to retain that airy, open quality of the maggie's - but improve on the dynamics and the high end in particular. It seems that everyone who has heard either the Otica or NX-Treme says that I should be very happy with the sound - retaining the open feel, while also improving ... well everything from what I've been told.