Which Digital Cable Do You Use

M41A

Which Digital Cable Do You Use
« on: 8 Apr 2020, 04:40 pm »
I have been trying various digital cables with my DAC DAC 2 HS using both silver and copper.
After failing to get what I thought was the best from my new DAC I had planned to make my own using Belden 4694R. I found the Monoliths on the Monoprice website for 50% off (~$6.00) and gave them a try, not bad at all. Checking the specs the Monolith is VERY similar to the Belden.
Anyone have experience with this coax?

DeeCee

Re: Which Digital Cable Do You Use
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2020, 05:39 pm »
I never used it, however I purchased the Pulsar at 1.5M using the Nextgen Cu RCA for digital use from VH Audio and found it pretty good; it's a hybrid copper/silver configuration. So far (for some reason)  I found that silver/copper combos worked best in my system (YMMV.)

Off the top of my head, I can't recall the cost but it was probably near $130 or so. A cheaper offering can be had from Straightwire S-Link digital cable which did a nice job for less than $50 (it was long ago so I have no idea what current pricing is.)

The thing is you have to try and compare cables to hit the "magic." Price has little to do with sound, I found out.

Good luck & happy Listening!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2020, 06:11 pm »

Give Bluejeans cables a try. No hocuspocus about their cables.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2020, 07:06 pm »
So very, very true!
There are lots of 75 Ohm coax cables suitable for low frequency digital audio, available from major bulk cable manufactures like Belden.
Digital audio is at to low a frequency for silver plating to have any advantage. Save it for your 1GHz signals.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2020, 02:43 am »
We (Cherry Amp) have high performance digital cables.  I agree about the hocus-pocus.  If the signal gets there without errors, there should be no difference in the sound from anything else that gets the signal there without error.  Here are our cables:
https://www.cherryamp.com/accessories

We don't try to make money on cables, by the way.  That's not our thing, so we sometimes provide them with equipment purchases at barely-above-cost or even free occasionally, depending on the order.  The prices listed on our website are significantly higher than we what actually charge for some items, because we sold them on Amazon years ago.  We currently sell MEGA Speaker Cables (9-gauge equivalent, 8-foot length, banana plug terminations, flexible braid) for $90/channel with the purchase of a new amp, for example.  They were $450/pr on Amazon.  We stopped selling through Amazon because their seller support was an absolute nightmare.  Ask any Amazon seller about that one (:

Our fancy coax SPDIF cables are BNC with gold RCA adapters included, typically 1-foot length, and made from cable capable of digital video speeds, so there's no worry over signal integrity.  The "thin wire" type is also very flexible, and we now have a 3-foot version.  Our primary reference system uses the "fat red" type (photo).

Just as an exercise in science, we tested SPDIF cables for data accuracy, and the fancy cables we make do not outperform the inexpensive one we typically give away with our DACs.  In fact, we do our production tests with the inexpensive one because it works, it's flexible, reliable, the connectors aren't as tight of a fit (gentle on the DAC's connector), and it's 3-feet long for easy hook-up.