New Song 3s delivered

a63vette

New Song 3s delivered
« on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:02 pm »
New Song 3s, many pics of these and opinions have been been posted here (by more experienced folks than myself)  but for people that haven’t had the pleasure of getting Salks I thought it would be helpful to share some of the small details that you wouldn’t necessarily get to see otherwise (construction of the grills, packaging, hardware, plinth details, included microfiber cloth, piece of foam for between the speaker and plinth   etc.) jim sends these out with love! These replaced my WOW1s and are the first time I’ve seen one of Jim’s burst and dyed finishes in person and even the wife thinks that they’re beautiful (I still hear about our vandersteens I had 20 years ago when we met lol)
Unfortunately my tube amp needs a service so I borrowed an Onkyo receiver just to get them running and even on 100 watts of a low priced receiver they fill the fairly large room (25x15x16 foot ceilings) and sound fantastic (I’m no Julian Hirsch or steve guttenberg but I will update when I get my tube amp back). Thanks Jim!

almostbuff

Re: New Song 3s delivered
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:41 pm »
Congrats! They are stunning!  I can't wait for my 3A's to get here. I had no idea that grills came with them.   Veneer?

ermd1

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:43 pm »
They look great!

Bubba12

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2020, 08:35 pm »
I have the Song 3 also. I use a PrimaLuna 400 Evo integrated. They sound awesome. Congrats.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:19 am »
Look great. Love the 3's. 3A's are my favorites.

To be clear, MARY is THE shipping department. While Jim's a nice guy and all, the love you get is really from Mary!!

a63vette

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2020, 01:59 am »
I have the Song 3 also. I use a PrimaLuna 400 Evo integrated. They sound awesome. Congrats.

Thanks Bubba, have been eyeing a PrimaLuna for the collection...400 is serious kit.

Congrats! They are stunning!  I can't wait for my 3A's to get here. I had no idea that grills came with them.   Veneer?

Thanks AB, yeah the grills come with all Salks - these are a standard veneer "Curly maple with smokey gray finish and burst edges". Jim suggested that the maple goes better with the smoked gray than the cherry which I had on my Wow1s.

They look great!
Thanks!

To be clear, MARY is THE shipping department. While Jim's a nice guy and all, the love you get is really from Mary!!

MY BAD! I retract my comment and thank Mary :)

apstoltz

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:29 pm »
Wow, gorgeous speakers. Enjoy the new toys.

DEP14

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2020, 01:56 pm »
They look great!

lewdogg

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2020, 03:05 pm »
SWEET! Enjoy!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2021, 05:59 am »

He's a pretty nice guy.   But Mary runs the show.   Happy 2021 everyone!

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2021, 05:28 pm »
Those are sweet! Bet they sound sweet too.
Salk is on my must own list before I die. One day.

AvsFan

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2021, 11:05 pm »
Well my request might come sooner than later, Jim is sending me an email tomorrow to go over options.
How are you liking them? These are the base Song3'S right?

a63vette

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2021, 11:58 pm »
Well my request might come sooner than later, Jim is sending me an email tomorrow to go over options.
How are you liking them? These are the base Song3'S right?

Thanks, yes these are the base Song 3s -  I absolutely love them. My tube amp puts out 43 WPC continuous/75 peak and its plenty for my fairly large room. The tight base and sweet highs continue to impress me. Highly recommend them!

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2021, 02:36 pm »
Yeah, I am leaning this way. That's great to hear how happy you are with them. I am talking to Jim today so kind of have to have a game plan.

ermd1

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:04 pm »
Very nice

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2021, 12:15 pm »
a63vette - thanks for the thread!

I purchased a pair of Song3 BeAT that should arrive soon.    Do you have any suggestions/lessons learned from your delivery/set up experience?

a63vette

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2021, 01:28 pm »
Congrats, they do come with instructions but it’s pretty self explanatory.
you turn the speakers upside down on a blanket, install the plinths with the provided Allen wrench (not too tight), then install the feet (they hand thread) and that’s about it.
Every room will be different, with a front port (yours probably are unless they were ordered otherwise) I find the standard 16-24” away from the wall is optimal - though the wife keeps me to 12 lol.
Jim uses very nice terminals - haven’t had an issue in any of my Salk’s with any of the standard banana plugs.
Definitely save the boxes - makes life easier if you Need to upgrade or have them serviced/repaired (latter unlikely). What’s the rest of your setup?

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2021, 09:23 pm »
Right now, I'm running Paradigm Studio 100s for the L/R, and a Paradigm CC-590 for the center.   I have Paradigm surrounds, and SVS Elevation for the height speakers.  I'm running an Hsu Research VT15 subwoofer.    Processor is a Monoprice HTP-1, which I love, and I'll be powering the Salks with a Parasound A21.

Once I get the Salk's up and running, I'll order a new center speaker from Mr. Salk.   I'm thinking I'll leave the surrounds alone - it's not a huge room.

Really looking forward to getting them installed and enjoying them.   I think I was pretty lucky because you rarely see used Salks for resale, which is a tremendous vote of confidence to me.

gr8eyes

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2021, 05:34 am »
Wilbur

You may have noticed Jim just came out with a center channel that will mate perfectly with the Beats

its the 9SCC , it has the tweeter and midrange from the Beats/9.5 s

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2021, 12:30 pm »
I'd jump on it quickly, but it's too big for my Standout Designs furniture.