Decoupling speakers/maple platforms

catfishbob

Decoupling speakers/maple platforms
« on: 11 Jun 2010, 10:24 pm »
Here's my plan.  Speakers/spikes or (spikes+cone/spike grounding base)or(spikes+cone/spike decoup glider)or (Fat Dots) on a Maple platform/ (thin fat) dots or (grungebusters)/Floor

So we have the speaker the maple platform and the floor and what to put between them.
What is the best way to go?

Decoupling cone/spike glider or threaded stud glider.....is one better than the other for isolation?
cone/spike grounding base.....is it better than the glider in the above situation?
Grungebusters or Fat Dots under the platform?

Thanks....I hope this isnt to confusing....vernon

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Decoupling speakers/maple platforms
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:30 am »
Hi, Vernon. These decoupling products all work equally well. Each has distinct functional advantages over the others in certain circumstances. DbNeutralizer material is the common decoupling/isolation basis for all these different products. Fat Dots are made of dBNeutralizer. From there, adding a gliding function, grounding for spikes, or studs basically just provides speciality of function to the Fat Dots.

If your speakers have spikes, why not just place Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders between them and the floor? This provides great decoupling and isolation of the speakers and reduces floorborne vibrations generated by the loudspeakers. If the speakers are on a platform though, Big Fat Dots between speaker and platform do very well. Between platform and floor, Fat Gliders would provide isolation and mobility.

Decoupling Cone/Spike Glider and Threaded Stud Glider provide equivalent isolation and sonic results. Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders would be used if you want to use your present spikes and don’t foresee any difficulty sliding the speakers. If the floor is very rough or the carpet knotty or something to where lateral movement might catch and tilt the gliders, then replacing the spikes altogether with Threaded Stud Gliders would provide a more secure coupling of the speakers to the dBNeutralizer bases. Lateral mobility is exceptionally solid and stable with Threaded Stud Gliders.

Likewise, Cone/Spike Grounding Bases and Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders provide equivalent results. Gliders can be used on carpet or bare floor, whereas Grounding Bases can be used only on a bare floor (or very thin carpet). Gliders also provide mobility; Grounding Bases are like having the brakes on.

Fat Dots or Thin Fat Dots are recommended under platforms supporting floor-standing loudspeakers, not the more compliant grungebuster Dots. Consider Fat Gliders to be simply an alternative form of Fat Dots.

In some circumstances, several different loudspeaker and rack decoupling products would work well. You might choose the least expensive alternative or the one that would look best with your setup. If your speakers are really big and heavy or if the vibrational environment is severe, you might opt for one of the beefier alternatives. Or, with an intimate knowledge of your system, just go with your gut feeling. You just about can’t go wrong.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2011, 01:16 am by Herbie »

catfishbob

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2010, 01:59 am »
Steve,
sorry about the late reply.  I've been away from the computer.  You have given me lots to think about and consider.

I am assuming from your answer that the best bet would be to decouple between the speaker and the maple platform and also between the platform and the floor. (provided one used the platform).

I have maple platforms to go under some of my components.  The platforms will sit on glass shelves.  I am assuming the the fat or thin dots would work best under the maple, followed by the grundebusters.  I would assume that the grungbusters are used when height is a problem.  Is this correct?  thanks

Vernon

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2010, 02:36 am »
Hi, Vernon. Your first assumption is correct. You'll want to decouple between speaker cabinet and platform and between platform and floor (or simply between speaker cabinet and floor).

With component platforms on glass shelves, use regular grungebuster Dots alone between platform and shelf (has nothing to do with height, though keeping a low profile and low center of gravity is beneficial).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79837.0

~Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

catfishbob

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2010, 08:06 pm »
Steve......I'm getting my order together and will be sending it shortly.....thanks