New Tempest case is AWSEOME!

Marbles

« on: 8 May 2003, 12:46 am »
Yesterday I went down to the Indy 500 practice with Klaus.  While waiting for him to get ready, I checked out his stereo and saw an awesome looking Tempest.  

The front plate was at a 45 degree angle and the sides were machined with heatsinks to match the sides of the Stratos.

The 45 degree angle means that when you look down on it, the faceplate is flush to your eyes  :o

These are totally cool, but he only has a very limited supply.

He said he had 3  of these.

If I was even remotely looking at the Tempest, I would be asking him about these.

Klaus, you got any pics of these things?????

DiNo

Re: New Tempest case is AWSEOME!
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2003, 02:00 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Yesterday I went down to the Indy 500 practice with Klaus.  

Now I know why it's taking  Klaus so long  to upgrade my Stratos.  :cry: Remember  Klaus, business before pleasure now...  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 02:29 am »
Hello, Marbles you are a great promoter, Klaus only three "xTrempest" available ? Was it a special edition or a prototype thing ?

Hi Dino believe me the man would like to have some free time he is always running...

I am waiting for my xTremes since I do not remember when but what the hell I, we will be rewarded...

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2003, 02:58 am »
Well, I think the track thing was my fault.  I called him up and asked if he wanted to go.  I had some tickets to a suite which included lunch and all the cold (for me) or hot beverages (for Klaus) you could drink, pit passes as well as gasoline alley passes.  A race junkie like Klaus could not pass that up  8)

The word was that Klaus had 19 of these cases made 5 years ago.  He sold 15, kept one for himself and just found 3 in storage.  I have to tell you that I was mondo impressed by these things.

They are the coolest designed most overbuilt pre amp cases I have seen.

W.C.

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2003, 06:03 am »
Whish we could see a pic. :P

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2003, 09:19 am »
remember when indy used to be a big deal :o i havent watched it in years-
i enjoy D.I.R.T. (drivers indipendent race tracks)  northeast dirt track (clay)insane horse power on 5/8 oval tracks.

DiNo

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2003, 02:10 pm »
Quote from: Eduardo AAVM

Hi Dino believe me the man would like to have some free time he is always running...

I was just only kidding :-) :-) ... I know Klaus is a busy man and he deserved every opportunity to enjoy life :-)... Nice going Marble.

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2003, 08:50 pm »
We're supposed to take photographs around May 20. I'll see if K-man wants to bring one of these trick Tempest.

Hey Marbles....hired a new 'Vanessa' yesterday! Cuter than the 1st, though not as curvy.

Marbles

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2003, 09:03 pm »
Very Cool Doc!  Can't wait to see her.  Um, why don't YOU pull an Austin Powers and shoot some pics of her????

Show me some skin.........yea BABY!

Ferdi

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2003, 09:56 pm »
Oooh Behave!

(couldn't resist, it sort of echoed in my head  :oops: )

klaus@odyssey

you guys are nuts !!
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2003, 08:23 am »
Well,  Marbles opens his big mouth  :D
and all of a sudden it's amazing how many people are interested in the case.  Have to go to storage on the weekend,  but I think there are 3 more, and 2 are already spoken for !!!

Quick history for the interested:

after years of importing SL,  I first became interested in some sort of manufacturing in 1997.  Reason is that the Sl amp cases were too European at that time.  Small and chrome,  instead of monster black beasts.  Thus I actually designed the case of the X-wing SL cases.  Those mean looking spiders.  Internals from Germany,  just putting them into the US cases.

then I looked at the Rg 2  (now the Tempest) preamp case,  and thought that it would be cool to go completely nuts and overboard.  thus,  I've designed the sides of the pre to be seriously thick machined !!!  pieces emulating the heat sinks of the amp.  A preamp with heat sinks.  thought it was too cool,  and definitely polarizing.
So,  in addition,  I also thought that it was too cool to have a differnt take on the face plate.  So,  I incorporated a 45 degr.  angle towards the user,  and as a whole,  I think it was absolutely awesome.  Then again,  of course,  I'm in the "love it" section here.

Now the big problem :    $$$$$$$$

It cost me (back then) somewhere between $ 500 - 600  for each case!!! That's without the brushing, anodizing,  and laser engraving !!!! So, I've only had somewhere between 15 - 18 cases made (don't remember the exact number).,  and most of them went overseas,  except for 3 customers and the remaining cases here.  Yes,  it's a very rare and unique piece of design,  and hopefully, we'll be able to post some pics just for the hell of it.

As for the cases sold,  I've only asked $ 350.  more than for the regular Tempest case,  which I think is more than fair.  Don't retrieve all my $$$,  but at least get some of the dead $$$ back.  

Didn't plan on it,  but then again,  Marbles,  what was you commission again,  hehehe

Late,

Klaus

subhuman

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2003, 09:16 pm »
Just an update for those curious to see this piece, a few pictures are in Boogaloo's gallery:

Tempest Limited