Evolution DAC

rustydoglim

Evolution DAC
« on: 3 Nov 2018, 06:55 pm »

Features:
• NuPrime PSRC IC chip provides sample rate up/down convertered processing. Adjust the range from PCM 44.1KHz to DSD512.
• ESS Newest Generation: The world’s highest performance 32-bit Stereo DAC (ES9038PRO). State-of-the-art DAC with warmer sonic characteristics.
• Seven digital filters.
• Output Level variable or fixed mode
• Analog output phase change.
• Analog output channel setting.
• Display brightness adjustment.
• Support the decoding of DSD DoP formats via SPDIF inputs .
• Full microprocessor control with memory retention.
• Seven digital inputs for complete system flexibility.
• USB Asynchronous transfer mode.
• USB Supports DSD native playback by ASIO and DoP method.
• USB Supports MQA decode.
• Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources. • Exclusive driver software for Windows.
• Available in black or silver anodized aluminum finish.

rustydoglim

Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2018, 07:05 pm »
Price to be determined next week.
Shipping at end of November.
There is a pre-production unit being demo in Germany this week.
To elevate the performance of a DAC (how to surpass Product Of The Year DAC-10 ?), our chief engineer redesigned the power supply and all the power related circuits from the ground up. As you can see from the internal photo, there is no messy cables and two ultra low noise transformers were used. There is an AC noise filter.
Yes, I heard it and it is worthy of the Evolution series.

For those who want analog inputs you would be disappointed. We want to optimise the performance so analog was left out. We are still working on where to provide the analog preamp, most likely with a new top of the line headphone amp.

alexreusch

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2018, 08:49 am »
Wow, interesting. Could be the perfect match for my Evo One Monoblocks. Will it be a MQA Full Decoder?

Westerwälder

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2018, 05:22 pm »
hello rustidoglim, where is the Evolution Dac introduced in Germany?

Nidri17

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2018, 11:47 am »
Exciting news!
Rusty, I'm guessing one of the 7 digital inputs is I2S - to hook up to the CDT-8 Pro and CDP-9?
Volume control digital?

Samoyed

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2018, 04:04 pm »
Will the dac9 and 10 be supplemented by this new product, or either discontinued?  What is the expected market?  I use a dac10 and cdt 8 pro with an integrated amp, the 10 being used as a pure DAC. I’m interested in the new Sabre DAC chip, and wonder if this product is for me, though my gear is lovely!

sone

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2018, 02:50 pm »
Price to be determined next week.
Shipping at end of November.

End November - Just in time for black Friday price  :thumb:

Size? and picture of backpanel?

"warmer sonic characteristics" - is it leaning towards the DAC9?
I currently stick with the DAC9 to supplement my ST10, because I like the warmer sonic sound of the DAC9 compared to the DAC10, with my current speakers.
(And because I favor volume knobs over volume buttons) :D

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2018, 07:15 pm »
Wow, interesting. Could be the perfect match for my Evo One Monoblocks. Will it be a MQA Full Decoder?
Yes.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2018, 07:16 pm »
hello rustidoglim, where is the Evolution Dac introduced in Germany?

It is over by now, I heard it was from Nov 5 to 7.  Frank Urban, the distributor and also Audium speaker will send me some photos.

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2018, 07:31 pm »
We are working on the product page.
Retail price $3500  $3250

This is not in the same league as DAC-10 or DAC-9.  It is very expensive (by NuPrime standard :)) to make.
NuPrime has 3 product lines:
1) Evolution series - best of the very best against any competitors at any price.
2) 10 series - for audiophiles who want very detailed and neutral sound, it is somewhat above the 9 series. We expect some people to mix and match 10 and 9 series.
3) 9 series - you can't go wrong with this series - exceptional value for money and still world class performance.  If you listen to a variety of music and watch movies with your audiophile system (come on, get the NuPrime-X for your home theater:)), and prefer a little bit of warmth, go with the 9 series.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2018, 10:09 am by rustydoglim »

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2018, 07:38 pm »
Why all digital and no analog?
Performance.  For high end DAC, the DAC chip should handle the volume control for the best result. Analog volume control and switch complicate the design and compromise the performance so it was left out. This is a problem if you have analog source (mainly turntable). We will look into a high end headphone amp and preamp for the Evolution series.  There are things that we want to do but due to budget and size constrain, not able to put them in the 9 or 10 series.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2018, 08:31 pm »
Jason,

Thanks for bringing this new DAC to market and for keeping us abreast of news.

Some DACs excel at CD quality music; other DACs excel at hi-res music; yet others excel at MQA. Where does the new Evolution DAC excel?

Regards,

Michael

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2018, 04:18 am »
All of the above?  :scratch:

rjclaster

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2018, 04:24 pm »
In what respects does the evolution DAC surpass the DAC10H?

Samoyed

« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2018, 04:26 pm »
My question, too. My 10 is lovely, and I use it as a DAC, only, with an integrated amp, the Kinki ex M1.

rustydoglim

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2018, 11:21 am »
DAC-10 is already so good, so there isn't any particular weakness with DAC-10.
What I can hear is Evo DAC opens up another layer of clarity (that you never know it was there, that's the interesting thing about high end audio).
I think main improvement comes from the power supply and power circuit.  There are quite a few implementation of ESS9038 on the market and the result is all over the place (without disparaging competitors).  The performance of ESS9038 over 9028 and 9018 is minor, due to diminishing return.
But coupled with a completely redesigned power circuit, everything adds up. 
I think we all understand that high end audio is about matching system performance, so the same principle applies to board level components.

envydd

« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2018, 01:42 pm »
Nice. Have you considered doing some quantitative tests like those done by audiosciencereview.com ? I see that the oppo 205 had a better implementation of the ess chip than many of the cheaper ones due to better power etc . Maybe this EVO dac is even better?

Samoyed

« Reply #17 on: 8 Nov 2018, 02:31 pm »
Functionally, is this new device similar to a dac10?

Here is why I ask: I’m somewhat new to using a DAC/preamp as I have a wonderful preamp and a great integrated, so using a DAC/preamp is something I don’t think I need.

Had I understood a dac10 or similar device could be used instead of a preamp, I’d likely not have bought my preamp a few months back.

So, again, apart from the new design, functionally, are the two more or less the same as I use only a Node 2 streamer and a cdt 8 pro as sources?

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 8 Nov 2018, 05:53 pm »
Nice. Have you considered doing some quantitative tests like those done by audiosciencereview.com ? I see that the oppo 205 had a better implementation of the ess chip than many of the cheaper ones due to better power etc . Maybe this EVO dac is even better?

We don't do many reviews (indirectly they cost $$$$$, it is not free guys).  We know our own standard (DAC-10 was Product Of The Year).
Sure, eventually there will be a review for Evo DAC, but that might take 6 months.  We have Evo One and CDP-9 under review, so no way another one can happen for another 6, perhaps 12 months.   I am referring to US review, other countries could have the review done much sooner.

Some of you will buy Evo DAC and post your comment here.

Samoyed

« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2018, 05:59 pm »
Well, I really, really like my dac10 and cdt 8 pro, and hope to buy more Nuprime products. I was not familiar with Nuprime until recently. Another reall plus is John Casler, a great guy. 👍