Case Closed: Classé Closing October 6th

OzarkTom

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Case Closed: Classé Closing October 6th
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:35 pm »
Sad, another case of re-engineering, looks they will manufacture Classé brand in Asia.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:38 pm »
  Good now I can officially throw away the two CD players that cost over 6K for both. Never worked properly.

charles

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:40 pm »
I wonder if that means there's going to be a fire sale on remaining inventory?

Also, "The company is said to be sitting on some millions of dollars worth of what are now useless parts, some of which will likely be returned to suppliers. But much of these parts are not returnable and will need to be destroyed or otherwise scrapped at a total loss."  :o 

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:52 pm »
This is sad.  I think they may have let themselves become irrelevant in today's market.

As to the spare parts they have I hope they sell it off to surplus suppliers, certainly a better option than "destroyed or otherwise scrapped."

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2017, 04:05 pm »
Dang, sad to see another company go down (a Canuck one at that... not many of us left).

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2017, 04:12 pm »
They lost me a few years ago when they announced they were moving production to China without any price relief.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2017, 04:28 pm »
This is sad.  I think they may have let themselves become irrelevant in today's market.
B&W hammer do it, in the 90s before the english administration Classé was strong and came to compete w/Krell and Mark Levinson.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2017, 05:31 pm »
B&W hammer do it, in the 90s before the english administration Classé was strong and came to compete w/Krell and Mark Levinson.

Agree with FRM. Classe never really made anything truly desireable since the late 90's or early 2000's when they had stuff like the Omicron monoblocks. B&W turned Classe into sortof a step-up product line from Rotel. Horrible move. It's very similar to what Klipsch did with Aragon...which was also unsuccessful.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2017, 05:37 pm »
B&W had an amps and CDP entry line brand called Aura.
Classé was praised in reviews at Audio mag.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2017, 06:04 pm »
Yeah, but none of that stuff truly stood out from the crowd the way the older, better, Classe amps did. If I'm spending a lot of money, I want something special. Just my opinion.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:42 am »
Classé is not dead yet. There have been companies showing interest (3 have backed out) and a deal may be pending with Sound United (California). This spring they bought Boston Acoustics, Denon & Marantz, and also own Polk and Definitive Technology. Nothing final yet but stay tuned.

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:12 am »
 :D they bought all those companies up and now toast ?  Hummmm.  What a move there. 
       Hard times comin' if you can see.   :D