I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...

Danny Richie

Re: I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:20 am »
The Majik and Uber Buss are indeed nice, but on their own I wouldn't take either one over my Furman IT Reference 20i.

And as a stand alone, I wouldn't take either over my Dodd Audio balanced power supply. But they are both a nice addition and well worth their price (no hyperbole) or I wouldn't be offering them.

Since I only have a single source, I can't exactly send you my Modwrigtht Transporter to add to the mix.  If you can find a local one or somebody to provide one, I think it would be interesting to have it in your comparison.

Maybe Dan would like to send one?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:31 am »
Hi George,
Which DAC outperforms the Tranquility?  And in what respect?

It sounds like you are making a decision solely based on price. It's a bit like saying if they charged $20k you would believe its better than whatever you have in mind at $10k.  From what I read, Danny said there would be some give and take in a  direct comparison... that seems pretty reasonable way to convey the performance, not really hyperbole.

How do we price a component? Is it just the cost of parts? or a factor of  the time of R&D in design?  If you spend about the same for parts, and about the same amount of time designing, and decide to average it out over 1000 units instead of 100, then you can afford to make one 10% the price of the other... so its not that big a reach, to my way of thinking. 

Now if a designer has some unique insight, that someone else has overlooked, it seems like that might be able to offer considerable leverage to the performance to price ratio. I don't know whether or not it is true, here, but seems possible. 

But it really comes down to how they perform, doesn't it?  Seems like a few shootouts are going to be helpful, but unlikely to prove definitive for everyone.

-Tony
There is also the audio jewelry aspect of a product like this.  By eschewing the "carved out of a monolythic block of unobtainium" mindset and packaging it modestly can result in huge value to cost performance.  That is the approach that I took with my products and in this economic landscape is one that makes the most sense to me.  I think that Eric is a no BS hype kind of guy and I applaude him for that.

Dave

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:37 am »
Hi George,
Which DAC outperforms the Tranquility?  And in what respect?

It sounds like you are making a decision solely based on price. It's a bit like saying if they charged $20k you would believe its better than whatever you have in mind at $10k.  From what I read, Danny said there would be some give and take in a  direct comparison... that seems pretty reasonable way to convey the performance, not really hyperbole.

How do we price a component? Is it just the cost of parts? or a factor of  the time of R&D in design?  If you spend about the same for parts, and about the same amount of time designing, and decide to average it out over 1000 units instead of 100, then you can afford to make one 10% the price of the other... so its not that big a reach, to my way of thinking. 

Now if a designer has some unique insight, that someone else has overlooked, it seems like that might be able to offer considerable leverage to the performance to price ratio. I don't know whether or not it is true, here, but seems possible. 

But it really comes down to how they perform, doesn't it?  Seems like a few shootouts are going to be helpful, but unlikely to prove definitive for everyone.

-Tony

Tony,

I never claimed that any DAC outperforms the Tranquility DAC.  In fact, I thought I made it clear that I haven't heard the Tranquility DAC. 

I DO NOT make decisions solely on price, but let's get real for a second...when does price not play some type of determining factor in everything we purchase?  While I am all about value and getting the best performance or functionality for what I am willing to spend, I don't have any illusions that you can't always do better.  Unfortunately, many times (not all times) that means having to spend more money.  Just to be clear - I don't believe that if something is more expensive it must be better. 

I think we can all agree that it costs money to design, research, and build products.  While some of the cost of the product goes into aspects that don't improve its performance, (dealer markup, marketing, exotic case work, etc....) some of it does directly go towards defining how it performs.  For example,  I think it costs more money to design and build a better power supply or to use certain caps, etc...heck we see this in many designs and have no problem accepting that. 

While you are correct that a manufacturer can spread R&D costs out over the expected life cycle of the product, most audio vendors aren't selling hundreds of a given item, let alone 1000's, so they don't have that luxury and must recoup their costs with much smaller volumes.

I am not denying that it is possible that the designer of the Tranquility DAC has come up with a great product, maybe even some new innovations.  I am just skeptical that it performs as well as being touted.  I have heard too many claims how product "x" at a fraction of the price of products "y" and "z" is better, only to be seriously disappointed when finally trying product "x".

Danny, you would need to contact Dan Wright and see if he is willing to send you something for the shootout, can't help you there.

I'll stop now and let things get back to the shootout.

Have fun.

George

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:38 am »
Well, the website may not quite follow Eric's personal style and seems to be a bit too much fluff for some people's taste.

-Tony

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:44 am »
I am just skeptical that it performs as well as being touted.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

I think you might be surprised though.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:59 am »
1st Eric gets criticised for a lack of information on his website, now his USB/DAC is getting criticised for too much hyperbole from actual owners & Danny's Shootout,,, from what I can see, poor Eric simply can't win here on AC.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

drphoto

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:37 am »
I sort of see George's point. I remember when people were yammering on about how great the Ah! Tjoeb player was. I had one for a while and while it didn't suck, it was not the mythical giant killer.

Still, I hope the Tranquility is truly 'all that'. Eric's a great guy, and I hope this is a big success for him.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:18 am »
I sort of see George's point. I remember when people were yammering on about how great the Ah! Tjoeb player was. I had one for a while and while it didn't suck, it was not the mythical giant killer.

I know what you mean.  I bought the MHDT Labs Paradisea NOS DAC when it was the 'flavor of the month' and a 'giant killer', but after living with it for awhile it became apparent that the lack of any digital harshness was at the expense of rolled off highs and reduced resolution.

Steve

cujobob

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:40 am »
How big of an upgrade are these units over the modified DAC 60?

pardales

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:42 am »
As someone who is demoing some of the DAC's mentioned on this thread I appreciate the informed opinions of those who have actually heard some of these units and tried to make some thoughtful comparisons of them and their respective technologies.

Thank you,  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:09 pm »
Man Would I love to send my DAC.  I can't though.   :(

dvenardos

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:29 am »
Anyone heard the CI audio VDA-2?
I have been very happy with mine and wonder how it compares. :scratch:

persisting1

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2010, 09:04 am »
Anyone heard the CI audio VDA-2?
I have been very happy with mine and wonder how it compares. :scratch:

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this DAC as well.

TomS

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:53 pm »
Since the Buffalo board doesn't have USB stock, what was the USB implementation used?  Were you using 16/44khz USB as source?

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:37 pm »
Since the Buffalo board doesn't have USB stock, what was the USB implementation used?  Were you using 16/44khz USB as source?

I just made a phone call to Gary Dodd (who assembled it for a customer) and he said, that the USB came as a separate module (from Twisted Pear) that plugged into the Buffalo board.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:38 pm »
When I looked at Gary's picture of the TPA Buffalo DAC it looked like the TPA USB to I2S Bus interface was installed.  That does up to 16bit/48KHz from the PCM2707 with native PC drivers. 

multibit16

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm »
Very interesting!  I bet you guys had a great time  8)  if I lived closer you could have borrowed my modified Buffalo32s,  upgrading regulation vastly improves the sound of this dac IMHO  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64845.msg714750#msg714750

Gizmo

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:00 pm »
Danny,

How does the Tranquility DAC Compare to the DAC 60?

Thanks,

David

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #38 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:10 pm »
Danny,

How does the Tranquility DAC Compare to the DAC 60?

Thanks,

David
I'm not Danny, but I shared the suite at RMAF with Danny and Gary and the differences between the modified DAC 60 and the Tranquility DAC were huge... and I hate using the word "huge" when referring to subjective audio determination.  EVERYTHING was better and the sense of space around the instruments in some recordings was tremendous with the Tranquility.  On my "Larry Carlton and Robben Ford LIVE IN TOKYO" disc, Travis Carlton's bass was amazing!.

I could go on and on, but I'd start to sound all audiophoolish.

Dave

Charles Calkins

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:28 pm »
From what I've read about the Tranquility DAC it only has USB in. No coax or toslink. Not for me. I need a DAC that would be compatible with a CD player. Am I missing something???

Cheers
                                     Charlie