Bryston Loudspeakers

Mag

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2680 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:10 pm »
Mag - not sure if part of your Bryston system includes a Digital Player and DAC - but if it does - I'd recommend getting setup with Tidal/Roon. You'll have access to essentially unlimited musical selections - and at CD resolution (minimum). I believe to be very good value for the money.  :thumb:

Thank you for the suggestion but streaming is not for me. I watch Youtube to find an artist I like, just placed an order for 9 blu ray titles.

For me it's the BCD-3 although I have the BDP-1. I docter music through a mixer, then I play the cd-r with the BCD-3. The result is digital music in another league, better than anything else I've heard including blu ray by a small margin.

The BCD-3 IMO is the best digital source on the market.  :smoke:

gene9p

« Reply #2681 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:39 pm »
Mag - not sure if part of your Bryston system includes a Digital Player and DAC - but if it does - I'd recommend getting setup with Tidal/Roon. You'll have access to essentially unlimited musical selections - and at CD resolution (minimum). I believe to be very good value for the money.  :thumb:

you tube on a 40,000 dollar system... :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Mag

« Reply #2682 on: 20 Sep 2018, 12:10 am »
you tube on a 40,000 dollar system... :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Do you not know how to read?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2683 on: 16 Oct 2018, 04:06 pm »

sweetspot

« Reply #2684 on: 16 Oct 2018, 07:18 pm »
James, is this offer for speakers only? I'm thinking about the bcd-3.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2685 on: 16 Oct 2018, 07:25 pm »
James, is this offer for speakers only? I'm thinking about the bcd-3.

HI

Speakers only.  The prices on the BCD-3 went up about 9% on October 1st.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2686 on: 26 Oct 2018, 11:30 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: First, the so called Bryston MINI TC-1 Center speaker is a JOKE!!

October 2018

First, the so called MINI TC-1 is a JOKE!!  This speaker is a far cry from being remotely a MINI anything!

The speaker is beyond gorgeous and for a center channel it fills any space, including my fireplace hearth quite nicely!

I've been a little boy at Christmas time, waiting on it to arrive, due to it being the real wood Rosewood and a custom order.

To say a center channel is a Mini that weighs in at 71lbs is a laughable!

It is amazing listening to them now, (Mini-Ts and the Mini TC-1) simply stunned on what music sounds like, or better yet, what music I’ve been missing by not having it.

As time goes by they will only get better!! The stage is front and center, it is as if I were at each venue in person. Can't wait till I can crank it p and truly feel the envelope of the sound and performances.

Never in my life (I'm 55) did I think that I would be able to own or afford world class speakers.

Bryston has stunned and shocked me on how these speakers (all 3) sound together and it just keeps getting better.

Forgive my naivety and childish enthusiasm but I am just entering this amazing sound environment! I'm giddy like a little school kid!!

Now off to musical bliss!

Joe Schmoe

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2687 on: 1 Nov 2018, 04:13 pm »
THE BRYSTON SPEAKER FAMILY OF CURVES – WHAT?

Hi Folks,

Many times I get asked about the design philosophy behind the Bryston loudspeakers and what design parameters we feel are the most salient. If I had to define our mandate in a single phase it would be the ‘FAMILY OF CURVES’.

I guess the first question is “What is the family of curves?” and what we’re looking at is a whole bunch of curves – amplitude responses – measured in an true anechoic chamber (not computer based gating systems). The speaker is measured at points all the way around (360 degrees) the cabinet horizontally and then all the way around the cabinet vertically.

The ‘family of curves’ is extremely important to the sound of a loudspeaker – it is about what you’re actually going to hear in a real listening room and how we determine that. Typically the family of curses is not discussed much and I think there are two reasons.

First there’s nothing visual about it. You can’t look at a product and say “Oh, this is going to have a particular family of curves” just by what the drivers look like, the cabinet looks like, or the components on a crossover look like. None of these things really tell you much of anything about the family of curves, so we tend to gravitate and talk about things that you can see. While that’s sensible on one hand, it doesn’t really get into the meat-and-potatoes about what makes a good-sounding loudspeaker vs a not-so-good sounding loudspeaker.

Second the family of curves is not an easy thing to measure. There are a lot of curves involved, and you really have to have an large anechoic chamber in order to take all of these curves. So it’s probably not talked about in a lot of cases because it’s probably not measured by most speaker manufacturers.

Even just looking at a simple loudspeaker – say a 2-way bookshelf speaker – you’re looking at over 150 curves in order to create the entire family of curves that you need to work with and manipulate in order to create what’s going to be the end product. You’ve got the curves of all the individual drivers, and then you’ve got the curves of the combined end product, and that’s going to give you +150 curves. Realistically, in the process of the loudspeaker design, you’re going to be doing those measurements over and over again.  You can really end up in a design with over 1,000 curves before you’re done. And that’s for a simple bookshelf speaker! If you get into a multi-driver tower, you can start multiplying that number by two, three – even four times. So it’s not a particularly easy thing to do and you need the proper tools to do it. Once it’s all done, you still have to interpret what these curves mean. They don’t have what you would call a ‘normal’ sort of visual. If you think about on-axis or a listening window curve, we’re used to just seeing something that’s reasonably linear across the bandwidth, then that represents a good frequency response. But there’s quite a bit more to it.

One of the questions people often ask is, “Why do I care what’s coming out of the bottom of the speaker or the back of the speaker when I can’t hear that?” There is a misconception that some people have that the sound comes out of the front of the speaker and that’s all we’re worried about. Well, that would be the case if we listened to speakers inside an anechoic chamber environment, where there are no reflections. But when you put the speaker in a normal room — and it doesn’t matter how much damping, or padding, or furniture, or carpet, or whatever you have in the room — you get reflections. And those reflections are not predominantly the direct signal from the speaker, it’s all of these off-axis measurements, all these positions that cause reflections coming all the way around the speaker including behind it. Even though there’s no drivers back there, the low frequencies will have an impact behind the cabinet, the cabinet itself can radiate some sound. So we have to measure, and have an idea what the speaker is going to do in the room. The best way to evaluate that is by looking at this ‘family of curves’.

Now, the graph on page 1 looks like a total mess, and very difficult to interpret, if you just looked at it with all of these curves overlaid on one another and it doesn’t tell you a heck of a lot. And if we looked at any of the individual curves, in isolation, it also doesn’t tell you a lot. Many people think that you need the flat on-axis response. Well, that’s nice to have, assuming that the family of curves looks smooth and even too. Now, how we interpret this mess of curves is by looking at two main curves that we call the listening window and the sound power. The listening window takes into account the direct signal from the speaker and what are known as the “first reflection points” off of the side walls, the floor, and the ceiling. And it averages those into this upper curve that you see

Bryston A2 Listening Window and Sound Power     

The sound power is an average of all of those curves that were on the previous page and it’s the interpretation of how you do the averaging that really is the magic of loudspeaker design.

By interpreting these curves we can understand everything that the loudspeaker is doing and how it’s going to interact with the room. Small changes that we bring to individual curves may or may not impact the listening window and the sound power.

We’re always adjusting things to make these two curves look a certain way, and really, on and off axis smoothness is something that we’re looking for. We don’t want big discontinuities in either the listening window or the sound power, because that will suggest that there’s an issue with the way the crossover has been designed.

It is an important point about listening tests as well in that really, about 80% of the listening tests that we do here, the double-blind listening tests, are about the family of curves. We will make small adjustments to the family of curves, and subject that to a listening test, to see if we can isolate measurements that can improve the sound quality.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that you have to consider all of these family of curves in trying to assess how the speaker is going to perform in the listening room, and that’s why we actually place prime importance on this family of measurements.

BRYSTON MODEL T in WALNUT FINISH

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2688 on: 3 Nov 2018, 09:41 pm »
SUBJECT: Dealer Feedback – Brian Gammon – Industry Veteran

November 2018

James;

I’ve been meaning to comment for the longest time regarding my Bryston system so far. As you know, over the past four years I’ve slowly and progressively updated my audio system using predominantly Bryston components.  This was prompted by a move to a different house, giving me a larger space in which to integrate music listening & theater in one larger room.

The room is 25’ x 18’ with a 10’ ceiling.  Although not how I would have designed the build-out from raw space, the room has reasonable attributes, including only very nominal low frequency nodal issues, in part as it’s built over a full crawl space, not a concrete floor.  I’ve located absorption panels in key locations in the front two-thirds of the room, including the area of the ceiling between the speakers and the primary listening seats.

My Bryston “experiment” started with an SP3 (now updated to include a recent gen HDMI board), a pair of Model T Signatures, and a pair of 7B’s (now 7B3’s). A bit later the BDA-3 DAC and the BLP-1 turntable joined the party. Every part of the Bryston chain has brought its’ own overall improvements, but there is one “signature” characteristic that I feel defines the Bryston system experience, which I’ll get to in a moment.

I spend more time with music than movies (or concerts on disc). Faithful rendering of good recordings, whether recreating live performances or studio sessions, is my priority. (You guys know my background; I’ve been privileged to be part of an industry that I love for many years.)

Each Bryston component that I’ve added, taken on individual merit, is great. 

•   I’ve heard the 7B’s outstrip well regarded, legacy amps.

•   The turntable is everything I hoped it would be and more without spending the price of a car.

•   The SP3 in full Bypass mode allows the overall system to reveal each new improvement.

•   The Model T Signature speakers are credibly neutral, extended in frequency response, controlled without sounding overly analytical, and resolve detail in gobs for a monitor designed around dynamic drivers.  (Not intended to suggest dynamic-driver speaker designs need take a back seat to any other designs, only that it takes careful attention in design and component selection to compete with the best planar designs in the critical midrange.)  Interestingly, the Model T’s respond well and communicate clear differences in musical presentation with changes in room placement, angle relative to the listener, and so on.

•   The BDA-3 DAC is extremely flexible and sounds great overall, and particularly in the area of dynamics.

Wherein hangs my main point – what I perceive as the “hallmark” of Bryston design, and possibly the reason why a mainly Bryston system just may be greater than the sum of its’ parts.

Every serious manufacturer in audio can do nice tonality (although there are distinctions!).  Every manufacturer can lay claim to appropriately neutral measurements, acceptable noise specs, at least half-decent phase characteristics, and so on.

Dynamic contrasts, from the rendering of small transient details in the background through to mid-level contrasts and a sense of pace and timing overall in the music, is where I hear Bryston consistently bringing it.  This provides a degree of overall transparency, by way of dynamic details, is tough to beat, certainly in the upper-mid price strata that Bryston products tend to occupy. 

Dynamic contrasts & transient details are what make recorded music remind me of the live experience.  Over the decades, many Hi-Fi products have sounded very good, in varying ways and to different degrees, but not a lot have had the kind of micro-dynamic portrayal I’m currently enjoying.

Thanks for it all!

Regards
Brian Gammon

P.S. – I am going to contact you as I have decided to upgrade my Model T Signatures to the ACTIVE version as I agree with you that active systems take the performance up a rung!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2689 on: 12 Nov 2018, 12:10 am »
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Subwoofer – Customer Feedback

October 2018

Hey James,

The Model T sub arrived on Friday and I wrestled the beast into the living room.  I mean that sucker is heavy!  It's the size of a Middle T, but weighs in like a full sized Model T.

Anyway, after getting things set up, I found out that my initial location I had envisioned the sub to live at was not a good choice.  The sub was canceling out with the other two subs, the actual output dropped with three vs. the other two subs alone.  The subs have a variable phase control so it's really easy to adjust phasing for maximum output. 

I did some 'manual' phasing by moving the sub to a new location in a more open part of the room.... YIKES! 

The output with the three subs in operation is like triple of what I had before.  I had to turn down the output to the subs as it was over powering.  I moved the sub about 7 feet over to a more open area and it just popped alive.  Pretty impressive; I suppose I found the right phase point for all to work in harmony.

I love this sub; it's not only subtle in appearance, it's gorgeous and amazingly solid.  It feels like it's made from a solid Ash block of timber. I guess with the extreme build quality, it gets all the potential resonances out of the cabinet.

Anyway, thanks again! 

Bruce

Rider20

« Reply #2690 on: 22 Dec 2018, 04:15 am »
Hi James,

Now that the Vinyl finishes have been replaced with real wood veneer's, what is the current Canadian retail price on a pair of the Mini A's, and the AC1 Micro center channel??

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2691 on: 22 Dec 2018, 10:35 am »
Hi James,

Now that the Vinyl finishes have been replaced with real wood veneer's, what is the current Canadian retail price on a pair of the Mini A's, and the AC1 Micro center channel??

Thanks!

Hi Rider 20

$1600 the pair and $660

james

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2018, 01:13 pm by James Tanner »

Rider20

« Reply #2692 on: 23 Dec 2018, 04:29 am »
Hi Rider 20

$1600 the pair and $660

james

OK excellent, thank you James :thumb:

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Rider20

« Reply #2693 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:32 pm »
James, is the Bryston 20 yr warranty on speakers transferrable if the buyer get the original recite from the seller?  Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2694 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:53 pm »
James, is the Bryston 20 yr warranty on speakers transferrable if the buyer get the original recite from the seller?  Thanks.

No sorry just the first buyer.

james

Rider20

« Reply #2695 on: 13 Jan 2019, 12:45 am »
No sorry just the first buyer.

james

OK, no worries.

Thanks James!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2696 on: 26 Jan 2019, 12:07 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just playing around with some ideas for setup in RM 2

Mag

« Reply #2697 on: 26 Jan 2019, 02:44 pm »
Definitely slam bass there! Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin would be in order. :wink:

brwsaw

« Reply #2698 on: 28 Jan 2019, 04:40 am »
Hi Folks,

Just playing around with some ideas for setup in RM 2

Did you try flipping the towers over? Tweeters closer to ear height...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2699 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:57 am »
Hi

Good idea - will try that - although the dispersion on the Bryston speakers is very wide - will take some measurements.

james