Should I build the Dynakit ST-35

SuperXRSSeattle

Should I build the Dynakit ST-35
« on: 22 Sep 2007, 05:29 am »
I've GOTTA get some phat air over here! for Funk, Rock, Opera, Orchestra
I know Louis gives the thumbs up to the Dynakit ST-35 and that is enough for me!
But is there a Integrated around $500-800 that is recommened?
I don't Really want to build a kit but can and am ready to order.
I love the SuperXRS, but need to move beyond the T-amp, with more horsepower\overhead\dimension!

edit: my source for now is CD, but looking to a turntable hence the integrated. I could skip the Vinyl\integrated due to constraints at this time...

Any thoughts, appreciated  :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Should I build the Dynakit ST-35
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2007, 06:00 am »
Hi, I have the XRS / Trends T-amp. I should be getting a new (used) tube preamp for the system tomorrow. I think it will get me that extra texture, presence and body that the Trends is a bit short on. I was considering a tube amp, and might go that way eventually, but for now I'm running the amp off of a battery with a capacitor bank, and I bought new input caps, resistors and power supply caps to add to it. If you have an SI amp theres a lot of surface mount components, not as easy to modify...

As far as amps, maybe the Vista i84? I haven't heard it, but it looks like a contender. 

Also, ICs and speaker cables have made substantial differences in the sound. 

Dave

murpan

• http://www.dinletimusic.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2007, 09:34 pm »
hello i am using Yarland FV-34CIII tube amp and loved the sound. Yarland is small amp and EL84 PP 12W per channel.

http://www.yarland.com/proshow_2.asp

http://www.yarland.com/proshow_102.asp

pls check this link.

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2007, 10:04 pm »
Hi,

I love the ST35 and on Monday my modded Stereo 70 is on the way. This has a modded board and much better than the original. Bob Latino built it and uses all parts from Kevin at Dynakits. I have triode and pentode switches installed and can use KT88, El34, and KT77s. Bob charges $850 complete and you an get a passive pre easily.

More info soon,
Louis

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2007, 12:58 am »
Louis, I'll look into that! 8) :D

DaveC113, it is the SI $29 amp I have  :roll: Well, it is what it is and not that bad.
I wish I had a RED WINE AUDIO Sig 30 but will have to save up for that.
Your mods to the Trends sound smart. I do need to upgrade speaker cables.
Now I see the Vista you mentioned, mmmm the i34 looks tasty too.

Murpan, thanks for the link! Good looking gear.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:03 am »
I would have gone for a tube integrated too if it weren't for the Trends being so easy to upgrade. Running on a battery and bypassing the volume pot made huge differences to an amp that gets astounding reviews in stock form. I set up the tube preamp and am VERY happy with the system at this point. After the Trends is done I look forward to comparing the tube pre/Trends combo to a good tube integrated. If I sold the Trends and the tube pre, I'd have enough for a decent integrated amp... I just don't think many (if any) tube integrated amps will beat my current setup for the price.

Also, the Onix sp3 integrated got good reviews on 6 moons, they go for $500 used... Louis's st70 sounds good too. Tons of choices in this market...

I tried a few speaker cables, and stayed with the Speltz anti-cable. You can buy it bulk for $1.25/ft, and I use the bare ends coated with Mapleshade silver grease. $40 got me an 8' pair.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how it worked out for you

Bob01605

• Bob Latino Custom Dynaco Tube Amplifiers
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2007, 10:39 pm »
To Louis above,

Most of the parts from my upgraded Dynaco ST-70 amp (In KIT ot WIRED form) DO come from DynakitParts but the VTA driver board is produced by Roy Mottram of Puyallup, WA. This is IMHO the best driver board now out there right now for building up a new Dynaco ST-70 or replacing your old original ST-70 driver board. That original driver board circuit with the 7199 tubes was one of the real limiting factors in sound quality for the old ST-70. The new driver board uses Xicon 1 % precision metal film resistors and quality Sprague 716P coupling caps and uses far less feeback than the original ST-70 (13 dB vs 20 dB on the original board). It also has individual bias contols for each of the four output tubes so matched pairs or matched quads of tubes are not absolutely necessary for best sound quality.

Bob Latino

Dynakitguy

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2007, 07:52 pm »
Hi all,
       I'm a new member to this forum and I will do my best not to bore everyone and/or offer my opinions on things I do not know much about.

Accordingly, this may be my only post.....

Building the Dynakit ST-35 will typically take several evenings, although I have had a few customers tell me they completed the kit in one night. I guess some people are very gifted.

Anyway, kit building is not for everyone and if you neither have the time or soldering expertise then you may want to consider having one of our recommended Techs do this for you. Check out our LINK page at: www.dynakitparts.com

Either Bob Latino or Tom Hills are the guy's you need to speak to.

Best regards Kevin @ Dynakit

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2007, 08:29 pm »
This was sent to my private message - posting here without author as it may be relevant to others.

Quote: Hi,

Not sure if you're still looking for an inexpensive integrated.  If so, I would suggest you check out Almarro.  I own their 318B and it far exceeds my highest expectations.  I have used it with the XRS and a pair of Devore Super 8s.  The XRS sound beautiful driven by the Almarro.  It's about 2X your price range...so if saving up isn't an option you may want to look at their smaller el84 amp.  The build quality of the 318B is just silly-good for the price, and I'm willing to bet the same is true for the entire line-up of Almarros.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Reply: Thanks for the sug. I've seen the Almarro mentioned in good regard and would like to try it (along with handful of others) A\B the Dynakit, but in the end! I'd be more satisfied to keep the handwork inside the USA. I nkow I can build the kit, but probably will go proven with Bob Latino, as well as considering the post just above.

Maybe I'll just shadow Mr. Omega! and get the tricked out Dyna  :drool:

Anyway, thanks all, back later when I decide.
XRSSeattle

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:00 am »
Well I have a good amount of time on the ST-70 and I'm thrilled with it. It's such a great bargain too. I recommend this amp highly and Bob did a wonderful job building it. The new board makes a huge difference and the tried switch is a must. I'm running KT-77s right now and love the sound.

Best deal in tube amps and a great synergy with Omega.

Thanks Bob for a terrific amp,
Louis

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2008, 02:35 am »
Hi Louis,

I hope you don't mind me posting on one of your old threads but I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding the dynaco st70 that was built for you.

I have a fairly nice system that comprises of the following equipment:

CDP pioneer (transport mods) & perpetual technologies p3a/p1a dac
N.E.W. p3 preamp
Son of ampzilla/ps audio hca - 2 (modified)
Nuforce s9 speakers

In a nutshell the system sounds quite nice but it lacks emotion and I find I get easily bored with the sound.  I previously used a N.E.W. dc-66 battery powered amplifier but the batteries were a real pain to use.  A friend recently bought over his N.E.W. a60 which is the AC version of my amplifier.  These amps are class a designs.

With his amplifier in my system the speakers came alive and I really enjoyed the sound I was hearing.  A friend is trying to convert my old N.E.W. to AC voltage for me.

Its a real pain living in Australia because there are so many products that I'd like to hear and typically I have to buy without hearing them and usually 50% of the time I'm a bit disappointed.

Question:  In regard to the rebuilt dynaco st70, that Bob builds, does it get your foot tappping/musical?  Is the amplifier transparent and does it provide musical enjoyment and provide emotion to the listening experience?

Some pretty tough questions but I thought I'd ask and ascertain your opinion.

Regards

Rod
« Last Edit: 13 May 2008, 10:20 am by Rocket »

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2008, 05:02 pm »
Hi Rod,

YES and YES again.

I think you will really like it.

Thanks,
Louis

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2008, 10:18 am »
Hi Louis,

Thank you very much for replying to my post.

At the price of the amplifier and given the strong australian dollar at the moment I'll contact Bob and see if he is interested in building a 240 v 50 hz version.

Best wishes

Rod

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:02 am »
Hi Rod,

Many thansk and I do understand how hard it is in Australia. I have spoken to a few guys down under and they say the same thing.

Hope all is well and talk to you soon,
Louis