HempTones and Complex Music

albee

« on: 19 Oct 2005, 07:17 pm »
I've never been convinced that single drivers could do justice to complex music whether it be classical or driving electronic.  Are the Hemps up to keeping things under control or would their main strength lie in jazz, vocals, and small orchestra?

saygrr

« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2005, 01:35 am »
I hope to see a lot of replies from Hemp and A8 owners on ALBEE's question. After 24 years of high-end purchases from the larger names like Vandersteen, for example, I have been made aware of Omega and am interested in the A8s. I live in southeastern Wi. If someone  has a pair and lives within 90 miles I would like to check them out. But until then I hope owners and individuals who have heard them can put into words the best you can what they do well and not so well for us to read. Would Stravinsky's Rite of Spring  be enjoyable or would it be to much to ask?
Thanks for your replies.

polishpowerlifter

A8s
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2005, 01:10 pm »
I did alot of listening with the A8s and just recently sold my pair not out of distaste but working on an upgrade.I have alot of favourable things to say.I used them  with the Clar-T and a hybrid tube integrated.The results where favorable and  distinct.IMHO the A8s are a new  class of speaker and excel in what they do well.If you have  a good source/ recording with matching components you will be very pleased with the outcome.I would say there is a true 3 dimensional effect with speed and breath to the music.The Clari-T's ability to give a sense of blackness and clearness to the  sound is even more pronounced ,and well mated with the A8.  
I would not say the single driver has problems with most complex recordings.I do think the A8s are more focused towards the needs of the jazz,classical and softer rock listener.Not all my listening is that genre,It was a quite a struggle to sell these but I am looking at the Hemps in a floorstander. :wink:

Scott F.

Re: HempTones and Complex Music
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2005, 02:21 pm »
Quote from: albee
I've never been convinced that single drivers could do justice to complex music whether it be classical or driving electronic.  Are the Hemps up to keeping things under control or would their main strength lie in jazz, vocals, and small orchestra?

I was once where you are at. I didn't think single drivers could ever sound as good as a conventional speaker. Boy was I ever wrong. I'm in the process right now of dismanteling my high powered monitor/sub system becasue I don't listen to it anymore. Granted its fun, makes good music but it lacks in nearly every aspect when compared to my single driver/sub setup (Lowther based).

I've not heard the Hemps (yet) but all indications are saying that they sound better than the Fostex based speakers Louis does.

When it comes to big complex music and single drivers, it is an absolute non-issue. There is no smearing, image loss or anything negative in regards to the 'audiophile' stuff. I play everything on my system, Jazz, Classical (including huge orchestrations), Rock, Speed Metal, Industrial, Techno, Trance, House, Bluegrass (newgrass). Everything sounds far more cohearant (to me) on single drivers because of the absence of a crossover. And there is no volume (SPL) limitations either. Soft or loud, my system stays completely cohearant, it just gets louder.

Are there some compromises? Sure. My drivers start to drop off above 12 or 14k and I use a sub for the bottom octaves. Beyond that, these sound more like music than anything I've heard.

just my $.02, YMMV of course

Bwanagreg

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2005, 03:06 pm »
I have the earlier 8" Fostex-based Omega speakers and complex music presents no problem at all. I'd say they excel at it in fact.

As far as the Hemps and A8s, I'd be interested in a detailed comparison and contrasting of these two different drivers. In particular, the one main weakness of the Fostex drivers is in their upper mid/lower treble range - the dreaded "shouting". It can be minimized with careful system matching but I have not been able to entirely eliminate it. Closely miked flute and upper range organ can really set it off for example. How do these two new speakers do in this traditional trouble spot for 6-8" fullrange drivers? Also, how do they compare in the "warmth" department. Is one warmer than the other?

I'm intrigued as well with the upcoming 4.5" hemp driver. If it has the positive attributes of the 4.5" Fostex with a little warmer sound it could be a real winner.

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2005, 03:46 pm »
Ditto ScottF's comments, well said.  The big challenge with wide-rangers is frequency balance.  Horn-loading, equalizers, amp/pre choice, and driver/cabinet choices can ameliorate the difficulties.

Detractors will say that the driver won't be able to track as many different sounds at different frequencies simultaneously.  This argument would be forwarded only by folks not having heard a good implementation of the idea.  In practice, the driver can match and exceed the abilities of complex speakers specifically because they are so Freaking Fast that they can handle that music Better than their hamstrung bretheren.

If you hit the magic balance, you'll NEVER go back.  Crossovers suck.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:03 pm »
Crossovers Suck.

Who's going to order the tee shirts  :lol:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:55 pm »
Quote from: Bwanagreg
Crossovers Suck.

Who's going to order the tee shirts  :lol:

Talk about niche marketing  :wink:

Hey, PolishPowerLifter's Omega 8's are expected here today via Purolator (faster from Toronto area than UPS typically is - let us hope thay are genteel, too :) ).  These are Chris/Loanwolf's recently purchased pair from PPL....now spending a little time in the CA sunshine.

Looking forward to hearing these...at the last 2005 CES Show in Vegas I kept hearing 'boxes' playing music....notable exceptions were Vandersteen and Omega rooms (and some of the horn guys).  I've gotten kind of used to boxless music in past year+ with my Vandersteen's...so the Omega's here will be a treat.

I have good, solid sand-filled 18" stands to put them on, and my room is about 2000 cubic feet, it'll be driven by (also Chris/Loanwolf's) RWA TEAC and a tube pre.....I don't often listen to large scale orchestral or grunge rock much anymore, so the crossover-less sound might fit nicely with my lifestyle.

Or, maybe that's Chris' CA  lifestyle here at the Inn at ChairGuy?

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2005, 05:08 pm »
I have a funny feeling that's going to be a near-worldbeater combination.  If you could rig a sub or pair through the outputs of your pre, you might never again leave your listening room.

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2005, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
If you hit the magic balance, you'll NEVER go back. Crossovers suck.

Can I hear an AMEN brothers!!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:06 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
I have a funny feeling that's going to be a near-worldbeater combination.  If you could rig a sub or pair through the outputs of your pre, you might never again leave your listening room.

What I'm concerned about is the top end, not bottom.  I've tried to make subs happen here - and the room size seems to preclude them from working well in here (to these ears, at least).

The lack of any treble producing transducer is my concern....I get (good kinda') chills when hi-hats or the right tiny piano keys are produced right...if not there, single driver won't be for me. My Linaeum tweeters do it great - the Maggies do it fairly well.

Looking forward to the tryout, at the very least  :) Nothing like hearing something in your own domain and space.

polishpowerlifter

Amen or Ahem??
« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:15 pm »
yes i am actually quite happy the A8s are going to a friendly new home,as it lessens my seperation anxiety,feels like i am sharing the wealth of the A8.Yes crossovers do suck ( generally) but i have heard some awesome crossover speakers and still own a pair so everyone can 'pick their own poison' so to speak.the fun thing of audio its all matter of experience and taste,and as long as we have fun thats the main thing( and not piss off our  'sigificant others' with wanton purchases). :o
System building and speaker selection is a very tricky thing with so many variables.
The problem is its usually limited by money  and the limitations of our dwellings, so its not always an easy match. :|

miklorsmith

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:33 pm »
My statement about crossovers isn't an absolute judgment.  Rather, if a designer takes that mantra and massages design work to minimize the effects of any *necessary* crossovers, the final product will likely benefit.

For instance, first-order crossovers are purported to be difficult to design well, as the slopes are broad, making driver integration tricky.  But, if well done, they can be excellent.  4th order Xovers involve many more parts and are much more likely to impose their own personality to the sound.

A strictly no-XO speaker like the A8 will have some inherent limitations at the frequency extremes.  Good designers will be able to extend the bass output of the driver through cabinet design but there's not much that can be done for treble extension, outside driver choice and the range that it natively projects.

One solution is bringing in a supertweeter, using the simplest crossover at the highest frequency possible.  Then, the wide-range driver covers from 12 khz (or whereever) down to the low range of the speaker.  This does add to cost, but can provide the best of both worlds.

Dmason's observations indicate that Visaton driver doesn't need help in the upper registers.  I'll be very interested to 'hear' the observations.

GHM

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:43 pm »
Everyday that passes it seems more of a myth about single drivers not handling complex music.
Since I've lived with them for most of the year. It's more about what the amplifier and front end can do to keep up with the drivers. :lol:

Scott F. pretty much nailed it. As  far as shouting goes I agree. I like the notion of no crossovers. But in some cases a baffle step correction circuit does wonders! I have no shout in my Fostex 8s. Also the balance is the best I've heard from any speaker I've listen to or lived with. I thought it would kill the transparency of the drivers. Instead it just makes them more listenable and dynamic.

I also love planars..my other favorite type of speaker. The single driver will give you the planar sound and add a little more sense of immediancy as well.

Have fun! :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2005, 09:53 pm »
My God, Louis is a craftsman.  That finish is seriously nice stuff.  As good as or better than the amazin' Rosewood on my little Quad 11L's...that my Dad has now.   Truly, this is nice finish - the magnetically adhered grills are a nice touch, too. No tabs or velcro to come off in future.

The speakers are a lot bigger than I imagined, too.  And while they are not seriously overweight - they are quite solid and heavy for a standmounter.  Well, maybe not heavy for a Polish Power Lifter, but they are for a Greek Pencil Pusher (like me   :wink:  )

The binding posts are ideally suited for spades and bananas...not so intuitive with raw wire or speaker pins (which is what my Alpha-Core MI-2 is terminated with).  It all works, it's just the grip isn't vice-like.

And so, on with the extended audition here..... :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2005, 12:36 am »
Nice to hear they arrived ok John....and thank you Mark for taking care of the details !!  :)
    Also, good to hear you have speaker stands John, I don't have to ship you any.... :lol: [/list:u]Louis does nice work...puts a lot of hard work into each speaker...and it shows !! :inlove:
      [/list:u]If you get a chance...take a few pictures of the setup, I'd like to see it, and others might too...thanks !!
        [/list:u]Happy listening.... :dance:
          Chris[/list:u]

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:48 am »
First couple hours have proved very interesting listening to the Omega A8's.

I don't have them optimally setup, but I'm understanding their character a bit better over time.

I'm not missing any bass - I think their useable output in that region is darn fine for their size.

I thought these were 5 way posts....so I don't know why there are no holes in this pairs binding posts for bare wire and speaker pins?

polishpowerlifter

A8s
« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:55 am »
Wow they got there fairly fast  :o i think thats less than a week to California via Purolator i'm impressed!! I doubt UPS or Fedex could have done so well and glad there is no shipping damage issues.

Dont forget to play with the 'toe-in'.
 :P
I know the speakers are gorgeous, kudos again to Louis.and yes their big and bulky,I can handle them even with my torn rotator -cuff but hey not all audio-dudes bench 460 steroid free and over 40. :mrgreen:

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2005, 10:59 am »
but hey not all audio-dudes bench 460 steroid free and over 40
- um, I think you could shorten that to "not all dudes bench 4 ANYTHING!

I thought I had done well at 315 decline bench 5 years ago at 30, drug free.... eek!

Ah well, I will widen the doorway for you Mark, when you come down!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:04 am »
Quote from: mcgsxr
but hey not all audio-dudes bench 460 steroid free and over 40
- um, I think you could shorten that to "not all dudes bench 4 ANYTHING!

I thought I had done well at 315 decline bench 5 years ago at 30, drug free.... eek!

Ah well, I will widen the doorway for you Mark, when you come down!

Don't forget to stock up on the PROTEIN, mxgsxr!!!  :bounce:

I used to lift weight in my college days... I never could bench press more than 255, but that wasn't bad for a EE geek  :wink: