Super Alnico Monitor - Real Walnut

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Super Alnico Monitor - Real Walnut
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2015, 03:28 pm »
Well I'm half way to getting my Super Alnico Monitors. FedEx delivered one today and suppose to deliver the other one tomorrow.

:scratch:
Did your other speaker arrive yet?
« Last Edit: 29 May 2015, 01:03 am by Canada Rob »

Louis O

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2015, 06:53 pm »
Hi celebrat,

Thanks and your speakers are the first with the new Birds Eye Maple and they came out great.
The stands will be a great foundation for your monitors.

The break in as at least 100 hours and not too bad considering other drivers can take far longer. I would break in with bass heavy music at a decent volume and try placing the speakers closer to the wall behind them in the beginning and the move them out as time goes by.

Toe in should be slight.

Thanks again,
Louis

celebrat

« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2015, 11:00 pm »
So I got home just a little while ago after work. I had the monitors playing all day with various music at medium + level. Just walking into the room I noticed the speakers sounded much more open (definitely more full sound) than last night. Clearly break in is progressing at a decent pace.

I did get the stands today and I just switched them out with the packing boxes. Suffice it to say I do not recommend using the packing boxes as stands :nono:
This made a huge improvement and the speakers sound quite wonderful now...very articulate and coherent. The lack of image height is also gone and the room is filled with a large and VERY deep sound stage. Since I have the sub (which I have been putting in and out of the system for evaluation) I don't feel the need to move them closer to the wall for now.

My upstream equipment consists of Canare speaker wire custom made by a friend of mine, Echole interconnects (I cant wait to try the speaker cables which I will move from another system later tonight). I use a Primare A32 power amp which is a 180wpc beast... but a very sweet sounding beast. I may look at changing that but it is just fine for now. I have a pair of Mastersound 845 monoblocks which I stopped using when I went to an inefficient speaker. My front end consists of a Phasure NOS1a DAC. The Phasure also has a volume control so no Preamp needed.

I am going to do more listening and will update.

By the way did I mention the speakers are BEAUTIFUL. I'll try to get some photos over the weekend. Thanks Loius

kmcelyea

« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2015, 11:18 pm »
Yeah, my other speaker arrived today. So now my speakers are a pair! So they are in the back room now playing to get them to at least the 100 hour mark before I take them to the front room. So looking forward to this. They look fantastic in the walnut. In the front room they will be hooked up to my Decware Rachel. I will let everyone know later what I think. Also have Zenwave cables that will be here tomorrow to go along with my Skylan stands.

Kevin

:D

Louis O

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2015, 11:23 pm »
Hi celebrat,

Many thanks and awesome news. Great to hear they are working in and the stands are in and set up. They will get better and better in a short while.

Your gear is excellent and nice to hear about the high power solid state Primare amp. I would be keen on hearing about the Mastersound 845's too.

Many thanks for you kind words and can't wait to see pictures.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2015, 11:28 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Great news and sorry about the FedEx. It actually isn't rare that they split the pairs like that. I'm very happy you got the set and they are set up. The walnut came out great and both pairs have the new emblems.

The Rachel, Zenwave and Skylan are fantastic. Really looking forward to hearing about your system.

Thanks again,
Louis

RDavidson

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2015, 02:02 am »
Pics PLEASE!!! :D

kmcelyea

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2015, 10:51 pm »
Now have about 80hrs of time on the speakers. At around 75 I changed over to the Line Magnetic 218 Mini (was using a old Sherwood SS Receiver) and even using a digital front end of I-streamer and I touch running full rez they sound amazing. The WAF is passed on it first test however we will see when I get them on the Skylan Stands and move into the living room with the Decware Rachel. On a side note if anyone likes Celtic they should check out a group call the High Kings, their stuff just sounds fantastic on Omega with the Line Magnetic (3 watts with EL84's). Currently running them again today for 5 more hours, trying to get to the 100 hour mark!

Kevin

BTW did I say they are beautiful?

:P

RDavidson

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jun 2015, 01:20 am »
BTW.......did I mention pics PLEASE? :lol:
But seriously, I'd really like to see them as I might want Alnico Monitors in walnut or another model in walnut.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 2 Jun 2015, 03:59 pm »
On a side note if anyone likes Celtic they should check out a group call the High Kings, their stuff just sounds fantastic on Omega with the Line Magnetic (3 watts with EL84's). Currently running them again today for 5 more hours, trying to get to the 100 hour mark!
Hi Kevin,

I checked out the High Kings.  Love'em.  Thanks for the great suggestion.  "Fields of Glory" is the stuff of goosebumps.  :thumb:

Flinx99

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jun 2015, 09:22 pm »
Now have about 80hrs of time on the speakers. At around 75 I changed over to the Line Magnetic 218 Mini (was using a old Sherwood SS Receiver) and even using a digital front end of I-streamer and I touch running full rez they sound amazing. The WAF is passed on it first test however we will see when I get them on the Skylan Stands and move into the living room with the Decware Rachel. On a side note if anyone likes Celtic they should check out a group call the High Kings, their stuff just sounds fantastic on Omega with the Line Magnetic (3 watts with EL84's). Currently running them again today for 5 more hours, trying to get to the 100 hour mark!

Kevin

BTW did I say they are beautiful?

:P

Kevin,

Thanks for the music reference---- my parents are going to Ireland next week and I'll tell them to give this group a listen to before they go.

I'm also breaking in new Omega speakers.  I recently received the Super 3i.  One of tunes I keep going back to is by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.  Definitely an American flavor to it.  Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, from the album of the same name.  If you have Tidal (or maybe you have the album), I would love to hear your impression of it listening to it on your Omegas.  I think there is a 6 string bass being played because it goes so, so low.

Jim

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 2 Jun 2015, 10:10 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the lead.  That "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" is a VERY cool piece of music.  Love that bass.

kmcelyea

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:28 pm »
I do have Bela Fleck and The Flecktones along with Flight of the Cosmic Hippo and Rocket Science. If you get a chance you should also try Live Art a 2 disc live set and listen to disc 2 track 10 Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. One of my other favs is by a group I have never heard of prior to buying it. Harry Manx & Kevin Breit "Jubilee" i like the whole disc but track 13 is a must listen "Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Just fired up the Line Magnetic and the Alnico's for another 5 hours tonight. The little 3 watt Line Magnetic 218 mini is a very good EL84 amp! Still like my Decware stuff better. When I reach the 100hr mark the Alnico's will get the Rachel treatment. Not sure but I'm think I may not need a sub for the Alnico's! I will try to get some pic's posted soon. Still have to build my Skylan stands. Last thing at 85 hours they sound AWESOME!

Kevin

Flinx99

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:00 am »
I do have Bela Fleck and The Flecktones along with Flight of the Cosmic Hippo and Rocket Science. If you get a chance you should also try Live Art a 2 disc live set and listen to disc 2 track 10 Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. One of my other favs is by a group I have never heard of prior to buying it. Harry Manx & Kevin Breit "Jubilee" i like the whole disc but track 13 is a must listen "Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Just fired up the Line Magnetic and the Alnico's for another 5 hours tonight. The little 3 watt Line Magnetic 218 mini is a very good EL84 amp! Still like my Decware stuff better. When I reach the 100hr mark the Alnico's will get the Rachel treatment. Not sure but I'm think I may not need a sub for the Alnico's! I will try to get some pic's posted soon. Still have to build my Skylan stands. Last thing at 85 hours they sound AWESOME!

Kevin

I found the live version of Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.  I liked it, but it sounded like an oboe replaced the bass.  I wonder if that's because of the fear of playing those low notes at concert-level volumes.   :)

I found a live version of Voodoo Child, but not Voodoo Child (Slight Return).  I will give his music a listen.

Louis O

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jun 2015, 11:12 pm »
Great music and I know it very well. I also like the Jimi Hendrix version too.
Great bass on the whole Bela Fleck album and very well recorded too.

Thanks,
Louis

Flinx99

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2015, 01:13 pm »
Great music and I know it very well. I also like the Jimi Hendrix version too.
Great bass on the whole Bela Fleck album and very well recorded too.

Thanks,
Louis

I had to go back to Electric Ladyland to listen to Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) to get them straight.

Louis O

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2015, 11:19 pm »
Awesome record and my favorite rock guitarist by far

Thanks,
Louis