Omega 8 XRS, more warmth?

JanJ1

Omega 8 XRS, more warmth?
« on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:13 pm »
Hi,
I like a lot the resolution and speed of my Omega 8 XRS's but I've been struggling to get them to sound more warm and present body better.

I've tried to experiment with postioning; High degree of toe-in seems to solidify the images somewhat and positionin the speakers closer to each other affects impact and the lowest bass can be tuned via positioning relative to walls, but still haven't found the ticket for more body and saturation and warmth.

My room is 15ft X 15ft with 11ft high ceiling, so it is very problematic acoustically and I had same problems with my previous speakers, WLM Diva monitors which showed great body and solidity in my previous apartment. So it might be that the room just 'don't play well'?

I'm running my Omegas with Almarro A318B with EE dac (and previously with Rega Saturn) and solid core copper cables (basically magnet wire)

Any suggestions?

fdiaz

• EarHead Audio, LLC
Re: Omega 8 XRS, more warmth?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »
Dear JanJ1:

My first recommendation would be to run them open instead of sealed.

If you haven't already, remove the foam balls from the ports and see if that helps.

Good luck with that.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:53 pm »
  First off the Magnet wire can sound thin or bright in some systems. Synergy. The EE DAC can afford some tube rolling to add the warmth you describe.
  The Omegas are revealing of what is in front of it. The port suggestion should help a bit. Have fun trying.

charles
SMA

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:24 pm »
The not so easy answer is to ditch the digital and go vinyl :lol:.  It's more than likely your room, though. I would try the Audio Physics room mapping method for speaker set up as test. I've found it's the best way to set up forward firing speakers in challenging rooms. It's a highly impractical way to leave your speakers if you use the room for anything other than audio, but if nothing else you would at least know it's the room causing the problem and not the equipment. Give it a try, it really surprised me when I tried it years ago. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/audiophysic.html

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2011, 04:02 am »
My small room went from bad to great thanks to acoutic treatments (GIK). This is an old thread. I now have Super 6 monitors and Deep Hemp, with all Red Wine Audio LFP-V Edition electronics. The room sounds great...  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57818.60

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2011, 04:37 am »
Try a Tungsol black-glass 12au7 or Tungsol D/Square getter version. The old RCA black-plate angled/square getter 12AU7 from 1950-1956 era will help.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm »
Hi JanJ1,

Thanks and great posts regarding your question. The room treatments will go a long way.

Running them open is a great idea too.

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2012, 07:30 pm »
  First off the Magnet wire can sound thin or bright in some systems. Synergy. The EE DAC can afford some tube rolling to add the warmth you describe.
  The Omegas are revealing of what is in front of it. The port suggestion should help a bit. Have fun trying.

charles
SMA

I agree, get rid of magnet wire used for speaker wire. It's cheap, I tried it, and I did not like the results I got with my Omega speakers. I ended up twisting 4 strands of mil-spec silver plated copper/teflon insulated with into a star quad, this is much better and still very inexpensive. You can find this wire on ebay for around $.25/ft. I twist it using a vice and a drill, very easy.

I also tested interconnects, and I would stay away from ones with one strand of small gauge wire, especially if it is silver. Instead, try ICs with multiple runs of small awg copper wire or a single larger run. Jupiter condenser company has a very nice braided helical IC wire using 8 strands of copper, these ICs have a rich, warm sound to them and are what I settled on for my preamp > amp IC. I terminated mine with Eichman RCAs but I find their value questionable unless you have a lot of money. That goes for any "high end" RCA plug or jack, they are incredibly expensive for what they do IMO.

I have not heard the Almarro amp, but IMO the Omegas do best with a simple SET running DHT or pentodes in triode mode with NO feedback, and ~5 wpc is enough for me, ymmv.