Any tips for vacation videos??

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Any tips for vacation videos??
« on: 15 Sep 2023, 08:00 pm »
My wife and I are headed to Spain in a few weeks.  Although we've shot lots of vacation photos over the years, we just don't do videos.  So I've got very little experience in putting short candids. My usual would be a repeat of "Here's Rene'e at the beach, Here's Rene'e at the Picasso Museum, etc...     Any suggestions would be appreciated.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Any tips for vacation videos??
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2023, 08:08 am »
Lá Sagrada Família chuch from Gaudi in Barcelona.

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2023, 11:34 pm »
We'll be in Andulucia.  My wife has an aunt that lives on the Costa del Sol.  Our time will be in Malaga, Fuengirola, Ronda, and Cadiz. 
Pictures of ruins, olive groves, tavens, etc. are no problem.  Video is what I'd like to do better with.    Any technique hints?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2023, 12:50 am »
Oh nice, seems great places to photo.
The camera is a cell phone?
= Dont add music or narrator voice to the video its annoying, let the original sound in the video even if there is wind or car traffic.
= Interviewing local people is always interesting, especially if the interview request is registered.
= Dont overproduce with extras like vignettes or introductions, simple is better.
= I like to use automatic adjustment for the picture and keep an eye on the sound, especially if the voices are at an audible level.
= Would be interesting talk to your wife or companion at the moment to give a natural and lively atmosphere.
= For pro videos they use external mikes for better sound, but the sound must be synchronized with the video.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2023, 01:00 am »
If the camera is a phone>
1) Clean the lens
2) Film horizontally
3) Attention to the audio (very important)
4) Hold the phone with both hands
5) Prefer traditional compositions
6) Attention to the light
7) Use an image stabilizer
8. Avoid digital zoom at every moment
9) Put the phone in airplane mode
10) Use video editing software
11) Consider use a camera holder
12) Charge the battery and use a big memory card
13) Make tests and get used to do videos.

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2023, 02:19 pm »
Thanks, Gustavo.  Those ideas are helpful.

Anyone else?  I'll be using a camera and a phone.   

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2023, 01:48 am »
I'd suggest doing it in the highest resolution for about 20 seconds slow panning if possible. Ten seconds is pretty short and I don't think is any better than a photo. If you can get a decent add on microphone from Rode because they sound better and come with foam or fuzzies which reduce wind and other extraneous noises because they are far more directional. Small tripod to reduce shakes and don't shift/move your hands while recording or you'll hear it!

There's also YouTube videos on starting basics for making interesting travel videos.

My favorite place in Andalusia is Granada. And yes, La Sagrada de la Familia is one of the most amazing buildings in the world. Barcelona and Malaga is known for pickpocketing... well, Spain in the big tourist areas.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2023, 03:02 am »
You dont like urban exploration? Perhaps you could visit this unusual tunnel in the Basque country near Bilbao to give us a second view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0TlxKyIzs

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2023, 07:44 pm »
I'd suggest doing it in the highest resolution for about 20 seconds slow panning if possible. Ten seconds is pretty short and I don't think is any better than a photo. If you can get a decent add on microphone from Rode because they sound better and come with foam or fuzzies which reduce wind and other extraneous noises because they are far more directional. Small tripod to reduce shakes and don't shift/move your hands while recording or you'll hear it!

There's also YouTube videos on starting basics for making interesting travel videos.

My favorite place in Andalusia is Granada. And yes, La Sagrada de la Familia is one of the most amazing buildings in the world. Barcelona and Malaga is known for pickpocketing... well, Spain in the big tourist areas.
We visited the Alhambra many years ago... so long ago that the EU money hadn't really trickled into the upkeep of antiquities.   The Generalife was a bit shabby, but I have to admit I think it added to the charm.  You had to use your imagination to visualize the magnificence of its days with the Sultans.    One day, I'll go back.   
And yeah, you've got to be mindful of pickpockets in Spain and Italy.