What would you do?

viggen

What would you do?
« on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:48 pm »
So, I sold my beloved 17-55mm Nikon lens via ebay.  Seller sends me this video after he receives it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7i-_pKQv7g

He didn't say anything else in his message.  I am not sure what to do at this point.  I want to ask why is he torturing the heck out of the lens and that gelded lenses don't have the super smooth focus rings that he might expect from non-gelded nikon lenses.  But, I don't want to entrap myself by something I reply and want to not reply him.  But, I don't want to provide zero "post sale customer service" either.

What would you do?

Early B.

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:14 pm »
I used to own a 17-55mm. Great lens! Sounds like something is broken inside the lens. If you weren't aware of it before, then work with the buyer to either return it to you for a full refund so you can repair and re-sell it, or offer to pay for the repair. On the other hand, if you believe the buyer broke it or it was damaged during shipping, then you probably have no way of proving it, and you're still stuck with the repair bill.

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:55 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I can't tell whether the lens is damaged from viewing the video because I've never handled the lens as roughly as he.  So, I can't tell whether the metallic sound is resulting from the focus ring knocking by turning it too fast end to end or whether that is something loose inside. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:09 pm »
Hang on here. He just emailed you a video with no explanation or request for action? Sounds immediately fishy to me. There are a-holes on eBay that will hose you if you let them.

I'd ask myself :

What was the condition when sent?
How well was it packed?
Did you offer some warranty?
How long ago did he receive it?
Is it even your lens?

Only way I'd proceed is to have the lens returned for a refund, which I'd be willing to bet other party will refuse.
Call me a suspicious prick, but on the surface it sure seems like a sham.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:13 pm »
Hang on here. He just emailed you a video with no explanation or request for action? Sounds immediately fishy to me. There are a-holes on eBay that will hose you if you let them.

I'd ask myself :

How well was it packed?
Is it even your lens?

Only way I'd proceed is to have the lens returned for a refund, which I'd be willing to bet other party will refuse.

Or don't do anything until the buyer specifically requests an action from you. And why did he post it on youtube? Yeah, it's strange. 

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:15 pm »
Certainly you need to ask the question ...

Did he already own a broken lens, buy yours for replacement, then make this video with his broken lens hoping you will take it back or pay for repair?

Did you sell it "as-is", "sale final"? The fact that he didn't ask for anything back from you makes me wonder the same as Peter. I would hold off on any response and let him make the next move.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:20 pm »

Call me a suspicious prick

OK, you're a suspicious prick, but I agree 100%.  He's handling it roughly, and he doesn't say a word.  Wait him out.

Edit:  He may be setting you up for a partial refund, but be warned, there are no inexpensive repairs on these things.   My well-worn 17-35 stopped focusing and the bill was nearly $650 from Nikon.   :o

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2015, 09:11 pm »
He has posted other videos of the same issue.  This guy looks like a scammer...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywmnzjgc-V0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSHC1W7ilQ

I have had Nikons for 30 years and never heard a screech like that.

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2015, 09:23 pm »
He has posted other videos of the same issue.  This guy looks like a scammer...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywmnzjgc-V0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSHC1W7ilQ

I have had Nikons for 30 years and never heard a screech like that.

He has 3 videos on Youtube, one of this lens, another one of different lens 2 weeks ago (he speaks in this video saying it was video to show the seller of the defect), and another of a different lesn 3 years ago (says in thread the AF-S motor had to be fixed eventually).

Who knows, maybe he's a scammer, or maybe he an incredibly unlucky buyer of used Nikon lenses.  Either way, I would have to tell him to stop handing lenses that roughly.  If it wasn't broke before, jerking the focus ring like that repeatedly WILL break the lens. 

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:07 pm »

I'd ask myself :

How well was it packed?
Is it even your lens?

Yup the only content in his message is:

I was able to make a short video this morning. Here is the YouTube address:

I described the lens on ad as:

Great condition.  Second owner.  No visible scratches or dings.  Functions perfectly on my D7000 that I've already sold.  Original box, manuals, hood etc..

viggen

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:10 pm »
Certainly you need to ask the question ...

Did he already own a broken lens, buy yours for replacement, then make this video with his broken lens hoping you will take it back or pay for repair?

Did you sell it "as-is", "sale final"? The fact that he didn't ask for anything back from you makes me wonder the same as Peter. I would hold off on any response and let him make the next move.

I think the default is "no return" on ebay ads.  I didn't change from that.

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:12 pm »
i think maybe i reply him with nothing but a link to this thread.   :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2015, 12:24 am »
What would you do?
You would do another video and post there also.
This person have some big hands I would afraid to handle my camera to him.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:05 am »
Where's he live?    :icon_twisted:

viggen

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:08 am »
Where's he live?    :icon_twisted:

The gent probably has a Tennessee accent.

viggen

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:30 am »
Ah I found out that the buyer had left me a note via ebay return as buyer had requested a refund but i didn't get a notice of it. 

here's what he wrote:

Hi, I just had a chance to check out the Nikon lens. While the body and glass are in good shape there is an issue with the manual focusing. When you use the manual focus ring and move it back and forth it make a grinding, scraping feel and squeaking, squealing type noise. Small movements are not really noticeable but with larger movements it is very noticeable. Now, I didn t get the same results w/ auto focus (at least not for the few times that I tried it) so if you didn t use manual focus you may not have been aware of it. I don t have time tonight to make of a video of the 17-55mm lens issue but I should be able to get one done tomorrow evening. I ll get it on YouTube then and send you a link to review. I had a similar issue w/ a 70-200mm VR lens a few years back. Here is a link to a video I made of that lens - it has the same issue as the 17-55mm lens. That s how I know to check - it happened to me before. (https: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSHC1W7ilQ). Ultimately, it s a sign of the SWM going bad and it will need to be replaced. It s about a $300 repair. Not what I was expecting when I purchased the lens. I certainly can t put $300 into the lens on top of what I paid initially. So at this point, I would prefer to return the lens for a full refund since the issue was not noted in the item description prior to me purchasing. Please reply back at your earliest convenience to confirm you received this message and to advise on how to proceed from here. Thanks, Douglas.

I am more than willing to take the lens back.  but, I don't think my lens will be in the same shape as i shipped it after he's abused it as he did in the video.

jea48

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:37 am »
So, I sold my beloved 17-55mm Nikon lens via ebay.  Seller sends me this video after he receives it.

He didn't say anything else in his message.  I am not sure what to do at this point.  I want to ask why is he torturing the heck out of the lens and that gelded lenses don't have the super smooth focus rings that he might expect from non-gelded nikon lenses.  But, I don't want to entrap myself by something I reply and want to not reply him.  But, I don't want to provide zero "post sale customer service" either.

What would you do?

I would do nothing at this point. Only respond to emails sent through the EBay message system. Wait and let him send you an email through the EBay message system stating any problems he is having with the item. SAVE all emails in the event he files a complaint with EBay or PayPal. 

For your protection is there a way you can make a copy of the you tube video in case he takes it down? You may need the video in case of a PayPal resolution dispute.
Make the copy before responding to any emails from him. His actions may have caused  damage to the lens.

viggen

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2015, 05:03 am »
I would do nothing at this point. Only respond to emails sent through the EBay message system. Wait and let him send you an email through the EBay message system stating any problems he is having with the item. SAVE all emails in the event he files a complaint with EBay or PayPal. 

For your protection is there a way you can make a copy of the you tube video in case he takes it down? You may need the video in case of a PayPal resolution dispute.
Make the copy before responding to any emails from him. His actions may have caused  damage to the lens.

I actually did get a refund request:

Return shipping:      seller pays   
Return reason:      It's defective or doesn't work   
Comments:      Hi, I just had a chance to check out the Nikon lens. While the body and glass are in good shape there is an issue with the manual focusing. When you use the manual focus ring and move it back and forth it make a grinding, scraping feel and squeaking, squealing type noise. Small movements are not really noticeable but with larger movements it is very noticeable. Now, I didn t get the same results w/ auto focus (at least not for the few times that I tried it) so if you didn t use manual focus you may not have been aware of it.

I don t have time tonight to make of a video of the 17-55mm lens issue but I should be able to get one done tomorrow evening. I ll get it on YouTube then and send you a link to review. I had a similar issue w/ a 70-200mm VR lens a few years back. Here is a link to a video I made of that lens - it has the same issue as the 17-55mm lens. That s how I know to check - it happened to me before. (https: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSHC1W7ilQ).

Ultimately, it s a sign of the SWM going bad and it will need to be replaced. It s about a $300 repair. Not what I was expecting when I purchased the lens. I certainly can t put $300 into the lens on top of what I paid initially. So at this point, I would prefer to return the lens for a full refund since the issue was not noted in the item description prior to me purchasing. Please reply back at your earliest convenience to confirm you received this message and to advise on how to proceed from here. Thanks, Douglas.

I did download the yt video just in case.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2015, 11:31 am »
The gent probably has a Tennessee accent.

You SPOKE to him?

Where'd you ship it?  I'd check his local Craigslist to see if he's doing anything funny.

I'm assuming it had none of these issues when you sold it, and how did he become such an expert on SWM replacement?  By stripping good motors out of ebay purchases???

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:40 pm »
I made a comment on his YT video.
I couldn't resist.