Visiting the Mid-Atlantic Audio Circle

bside123

Visiting the Mid-Atlantic Audio Circle
« on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:58 am »
Hi Y'all,

I have the opportunity to be in the Alexandria, VA / Washington D.C. area from Nov 23 - Nov 26. Any recommendations for events, meet-ups, audio shops and/or record stores that would be good for me to visit? Thanks!

Din

Phil A

Re: Visiting the Mid-Atlantic Audio Circle
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2013, 01:59 pm »
I'll be out of town but there are some shops you can try.  In Northern, VA, there's IQ Audio/Video in Fairfax, Gifted Listener in Centreville, Evolution A/V in Tysons Corner.  Best Buy's Magnolia Design Centers are in a half dozen stores in this area and they do carry more high end stuff that the regular Magnolia sections in Best Buy stores in the rest of the country.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:33 pm »
If you can get a car, then go around the beltway to Silver Spring, due North of Alexandria, (or drive thru DC in the evening after rush hour), to Joe's Record Paradise and spend a few hours combing thru vinyl.

http://www.joesrecordparadise.com/

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:40 pm »
Thanks guys!

I will have a car and a lot of time over about a 4-day period. I'm in the area visiting old friends, so I won't be tied up with business.

Joe's looks great.

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2013, 04:17 pm »
I second Joe's Record Paradise.  Hope your car has a large trunk!
Rich

bside123

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2013, 03:33 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. I did get to Joe's Record Paradise. It is mammoth and a bit overwhelming, but I managed to pick up 7 records. I also dropped into a Best Buy to see the Magnolia Design Center. I had never even heard about that before, let alone seen one. Wow! Standing in Best Buy looking at McIntosh, KEF, Peachtree, Marantz, B&W... not to mention the $40,000 television. It was weird, but I liked talking to the Pakistani sales clerk. Happy Thanksgiving to all in the Mid-Atlantic Circle. I hope that you don't get hit too hard by the ice and snow storm... I got out before it came down.