Just been given a pair of model 1 vandersteen speakers

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
Ive just been given a pair of these speakers, and i was wondering if anyone could help me with placement on them as i know nothing about that, thanks!

Kurtamus

Re: Just been given a pair of model 1 vandersteen speakers
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2019, 01:07 am »
Hello EZHusky,

Are these the original model 1?  You can tell by looking at the serial number on the back plate of the speaker, if the number has a B or C after it that denotes the version, if no letter then they are the originals. 

The Vandersteens can provide really quality sound, however they are very picky about placement and the have a definite "sweet spot" (place where they sound the best).  The design of these speakers is dependent upon the front to back tilt to in order to align the tweeter and woofer to the distance you are sitting from them.  They can provide a very good 3D sound stage when set up correctly.

Did you get the Sound Anchor stand with them?  This is a low "T" shaped stand attached to the bottom of the speaker and is important in getting the correct tilt.

To assist with setup you can download the manual from Vandersteen, this is for the 1C model, but as the basic design of the speaker has changed little, if at all, in 40 years (that says something about the design!) it should be helpful.  Let me be clear, the B, C, and Ci models have very different drivers and crossover components, but the physical design is the same as far as my knowledge goes.  The manual will greatly assist with room setup, helping you to determine that best spot for your particular room.  You can find the download here: 

https://www.vandersteen.com/resources/document-downloads

These speakers can be driven with and still sound very good with modest equipment, but will definitely shine with better equipment. 

I have owned the original Model 1, the 1C and the 2C Vandersteens, and love the Vandersteen sound.  I currently own Magnepans, and love the planar sound, I passed my Vandy 1C's on to my sister so I can still visit them regularly :D.  Enjoy these speakers, they can be a bit fussy to set up but they will reward for your efforts!

Kurt

EZHusky

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2019, 05:47 am »
Hello EZHusky,

Are these the original model 1?  You can tell by looking at the serial number on the back plate of the speaker, if the number has a B or C after it that denotes the version, if no letter then they are the originals. 

The Vandersteens can provide really quality sound, however they are very picky about placement and the have a definite "sweet spot" (place where they sound the best).  The design of these speakers is dependent upon the front to back tilt to in order to align the tweeter and woofer to the distance you are sitting from them.  They can provide a very good 3D sound stage when set up correctly.

Did you get the Sound Anchor stand with them?  This is a low "T" shaped stand attached to the bottom of the speaker and is important in getting the correct tilt.

To assist with setup you can download the manual from Vandersteen, this is for the 1C model, but as the basic design of the speaker has changed little, if at all, in 40 years (that says something about the design!) it should be helpful.  Let me be clear, the B, C, and Ci models have very different drivers and crossover components, but the physical design is the same as far as my knowledge goes.  The manual will greatly assist with room setup, helping you to determine that best spot for your particular room.  You can find the download here: 

https://www.vandersteen.com/resources/document-downloads

These speakers can be driven with and still sound very good with modest equipment, but will definitely shine with better equipment. 

I have owned the original Model 1, the 1C and the 2C Vandersteens, and love the Vandersteen sound.  I currently own Magnepans, and love the planar sound, I passed my Vandy 1C's on to my sister so I can still visit them regularly :D.  Enjoy these speakers, they can be a bit fussy to set up but they will reward for your efforts!

Kurt
Thank you so much for the information, these are originals. I will be looking at that manual and I will try to set up the proper placement tomorrow
Edit: forgot to add that yes, they do have the T-shape stand with them, they are in perfect condition

Kurtamus

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2019, 06:41 am »
Really happy to hear you have the stands, the tilt makes all the difference in opening up the sound stage. It can be time consuming setting them up, but rewarding in the end.  Can I ask what you are powering them with (receiver, integrated amp, etc)?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2019, 12:01 pm »
Congrats on your new (to you) Vandies. My advice is to be cautious with the tilt. The manual's illustration tends to make the tilt look more severe than what is necessary. Start your adjustment with zero tilt and listen, then add a little tilt at a t time until you feel the sound is right.

EZHusky

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2019, 03:09 pm »
Really happy to hear you have the stands, the tilt makes all the difference in opening up the sound stage. It can be time consuming setting them up, but rewarding in the end.  Can I ask what you are powering them with (receiver, integrated amp, etc)?

I'm using sherwood rx-2050r receiver

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2019, 04:29 pm »
That is a good speaker. Cannot imagine why someone would give it away, but nonetheless given the right placement, quality source and power it will really sing.

Slam

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2019, 05:01 pm »
Congratulations! I think you will really like them.

EZHusky

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2019, 07:27 pm »
That is a good speaker. Cannot imagine why someone would give it away, but nonetheless given the right placement, quality source and power it will really sing.
It was my grandpa who gave them to me, along with a pioneer pl-518

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2019, 08:04 pm »
It was my grandpa who gave them to me, along with a pioneer pl-518

They have sonic AND personal value then!  Once you dial them in, borrow a better amp and expect to be shocked!   :thumb:

EZHusky

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2019, 09:36 pm »
They have sonic AND personal value then!  Once you dial them in, borrow a better amp and expect to be shocked!   :thumb:
How would I borrow an amp?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2019, 09:49 pm »
Ask somebody.   :). Maybe local AC folks in your area.   The STL gang swaps gear all the time.

EZHusky

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2019, 11:07 pm »
Ask somebody.   :). Maybe local AC folks in your area.   The STL gang swaps gear all the time.
Oh that's interesting, I might look into that

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2019, 11:54 pm »
Oh that's interesting, I might look into that

And common.  Where are you located?

Kurtamus

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2019, 12:21 am »
Congrats on your new (to you) Vandies. My advice is to be cautious with the tilt. The manual's illustration tends to make the tilt look more severe than what is necessary. Start your adjustment with zero tilt and listen, then add a little tilt at a t time until you feel the sound is right.

EZHusky, I would recommend you set up your speaker according to the measurements in the manual to determine how far from the wall and side walls, and use the graph to determine the amount of tilt.  As Timind mentions above, the manual makes the tilt look bigger than it is.  In my experience with three different pairs of Vandys the tilt usually entails the front of the speaker being only one to one and a half inches higher than than the back of the speaker. 

The tilt with the Vandersteen 1 and 2 models is key to opening up the sound stage.  The tilt helps with time alignment of the sound from the speaker,  This is from the "Ask Richard" support page:

TIME AND PHASE ARE DETERMINED BY TILT NOT PLACEMENT AND WILL BE A BENEFIT WHEREVER THE LISTENER SITS. TRY THIS FOR YOURSELF BY SITTING OFF AXIS AND DO THE SAME WITH A BOX SPEAKER. YOU WILL NOTICE THE BOX SPEAKER WILL SOUND LIKE A BOX WHEREVER YOU SIT AND THE 1C WILL STILL HAVE AN OPENNESS TO IT.

You can find a lot of information as well as ask questions of Richard Vandersteen at this link:

https://www.vandersteen.com/support/ask-richard

Not sure how active this is, but there is a lot of info on this page if you look look for it.

These are older speakers, but they will still provide outstanding sound if time and care is taken in setting them up correctly.  This was a very nice gift from your grandfather!

EZHusky

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:50 am »
And common.  Where are you located?
im in the dallas texas area

TomG

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2020, 04:53 pm »
I found they really shine with tubes, at least 30 or 40 watts. But I was in a small room.