Lucinda Williams: the critics are right

Tbadder1

« on: 16 May 2005, 03:11 pm »
Just wasted 16 bucks on her sterile, unispired double live disc.  Man oh man, what a disappointment from one of the few true artists out there.  You can't tell the songs from the studio versions (with one or two exceptions), there's nothing surprising, she depends too much on just a couple of lps.  Poo happens.  :evil:

R_burke

« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 05:04 pm »
Disagree, I like it a lot.  One the best recorded live shows from the Fillmore in a while.

Each to their own

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 05:13 pm »
I'm a huge fan and plan to pick this one up.  I saw her in Oregon, in Jackson, last summer and really liked her performance.  She's had a history of stage fright but she seemed pretty cool in the Oregon show.  She screwed up on several songs and made a joke of it, starting off in the wrong key, etc.  It really made her come across as very human and likeable.  

The live record appears to be a really good intro to Lucinda's music.  Car Wheels is still my favorite but I can't say she's ever put out a bad album.  I even like the last one.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 05:35 pm »
I loved Car Wheels but had a hard time with her World Without Tears CD.  My girlfriend bought the live CD, and it appears to have more WWT than Car Wheels.   We only listened to the first CD, though.

Tbadder1

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2005, 05:39 pm »
With total respect I agree with "to each his own", but this live lp is anything but live.  It's so seamless you know she went back into the studio and touched it up, or was so obssesive about the playing that none of the emotion, humanness comes through.  A live lp should never be recorded well; it should be recorded authentically.  And if this is authentic, well then, I think she got to be one of the great con artists of all time.  Think about the great live lps of all time, Live at Leeds, Live Rust, portions of Woodstock, Marley Live, etc.  Each one has a certain sloppiness that comes through.  And in return for that sloppiness what do you get?  Raw human endeavor.  It's a great trade off.  Peace.

Panelhead

Love her music, even now
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2005, 06:59 pm »
My fave is Sweet Old World, I think her music has been downhill since. The music still packs the emotion, Essence almost makes me cry. Too many friends lost to that lifestyle.
  Her music is very powerfull to me. I will most likely buy everything she does. But to me Car Wheels and Blues are not something I would buy if I had not heard SOW and LW and the EP first.
  Essence is different, did not like it at first. Several listens and it really grew on me. But it is a very sad album, lots of personal pain.

George

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2005, 08:31 pm »
Quote from: Tbadder1
 A live lp should never be recorded well; it should be recorded authentically.  And if this is authentic, well then, I think she got to be one of the great con artists of all time.  Think about the great live lps of all time, Live at Leeds, Live Rust, porti ...

When I think about great live recordings the Allman Bro's Live at Filmore, Eat a Peach, any of the Live from Austin, TX releases come to mind.  Each of these was well recorded and I consider them to be authentic.  

There are numerous poorly recorded "Authentic" live recordings, some I like, most I don't, but again Each to their Own   :mrgreen:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Love her music, even now
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2005, 10:52 pm »
Quote from: Panelhead
My fave is Sweet Old World, I think her music has been downhill since. The music still packs the emotion, Essence almost makes me cry. Too many friends lost to that lifestyle.
  Her music is very powerfull to me. I will most likely buy everything she does. But to me Car Wheels and Blues are not something I would buy if I had not heard SOW and LW and the EP first.
  Essence is different, did not like it at first. Several listens and it really grew on me. But it is a very sad album, lots of personal pain.

George

About two months ago, I bought World Without Tears and have fallen in love with the album, listening to it constantly.  This was my first Lucinda album until the other day when I picked up Essence, which seems to be a a bit more mellow, but is growing on me during my late-night listening.  I actually prefer her mellow songs...they kind of remind me of some of my favoritie Mazzy Star songs, which a beautiful.
I love Hope Sandoval's voice! :inlove:  

Which LW album should I go for next?  :?

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2005, 12:10 am »
I haven't heard her live album, but I have heard several recordings of her live concerts (I collect concerts via bit torrent).  I've generally been pretty impressed with her live work.

That said, I do hate it when they go back and "clean up" live shows for official releases.

Hey, anyway, a mediocre Lucinda Williams album would still be heads and shoulders above the vast majority of the stuff out there.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2005, 12:52 am »
Quote from: Thump553
Hey, anyway, a mediocre Lucinda Williams album would still be heads and shoulders above the vast majority of the stuff out there.

Depends on who you ask.   :roll:

Tbadder1

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2005, 05:33 pm »
Panelhead:  I thought I was the only one who liked Sweet Old World best, nice to have company(although I love here other stuff as well).

I agree with the Allman brothers comment as well, but if you really listen closely this will give you a perfect example.  Take the Fillmore concert and compare it to the Atlanta concert.  Put away preconcieved notions (because Fillmore has reached icon status and therefore can't be criticized). And try them on.  I think the muscianship of the Atlanta concert just doesn't make it when stacked up against Fillmore, but the rawness, the out of controlness (how's that for a crappy word) just blows away Fillmore.  At the Fillmore they were worried about their professionalism, but at Atlanta, they were themselves.

By the way all, pick up Lucinda's Live at Austin City Limits--brilliant! Take care.

Tbadder1

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2005, 05:36 pm »
Oh yeah, and by the by...

really bad Lucinda Williams is way better than good Nora Boring anyday.  Give me a chick with cahones!!!! :o

Jumpin

Car Wheels
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2005, 05:52 pm »
Vinnie,

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road should be your next Lucinda.
By the way, she is coming around in July - August.  I will be seing her at the State Theatre in New Brunswick NJ.

Also, I imagine Mazzy Star, sounds especially ethereal in your rig!

Regards,
Mark

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2005, 06:17 pm »
Between Nora Jones and Lucinda Williams, I don't know whom I'd pick.  I think that Lucinda is better in many ways, but some of her recent songs are just so damn depressing.  For instance, I can't make it through the entire World Without Tears CD.  I might have to pick Nora given that fact.

R_burke

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2005, 07:10 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Between Nora Jones and Lucinda Williams, I don't know whom I'd pick.  I think that Lucinda is better in many ways, but some of her recent songs are just so damn depressing.  For instance, I can't make it through the entire World Without Tears CD.  I might have to pick Nora given that fact.

C'mon now immerse/drench yourself in Depression :shake:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Car Wheels
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2005, 12:35 am »
Quote from: Jumpin
Vinnie,

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road should be your next Lucinda.
By the way, she is coming around in July - August.  I will be seing her at the State Theatre in New Brunswick NJ.

Also, I imagine Mazzy Star, sounds especially ethereal in your rig!

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the recommendation!  Let me find out if she will be coming to the Boston area too :P

Yes, I love playing Mazzy Star on the Clari-T / Omega Super 3 combo...very ethereal indeed!  :angel:

Thanks again,