Cowboy Junkies...

Gordy

Cowboy Junkies...
« on: 14 May 2005, 03:36 am »
The new Cowboy Junkie's CD "Early 21st Century Blues" is out and my copy is on it's way...

http://www.maplemusic.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2&pf%5Fid=01%2D189&lang=EN

NealH

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2005, 10:44 am »
I like the Cowboy Junkies, tho sometime things can get just a bit boring or monotonous in some of their CDs.  But they are a good well organized band and that Trinity Sessions is a classic.  

What other music from this "MapleMusic" do you recommend?

Gordy

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2005, 12:05 pm »
Loreena McKennett has one of the most hauntingly beautiful voices I've ever heard.  Celtic with near eastern influences, she's superb with setting the historic Irish poets to music...  http://www.quinlanroad.com/aboutus/lmbio.asp?LangType=1033

YMMV :wink:

nickspicks

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2005, 12:08 pm »
I taped them once in 2002.  If I can dig up the master, i'll offer it up here.
its a 24bit / 96khz PCM recording ...and it would be on DVD (universaly playable).

otherwise, they bored me to tears that night.  Margot is fun to look at though.

Good album is the Trinnity sessions, all done with an early ambesonic stereo mic (like the soundfield ST-250) and them gathered around it.  Good recording.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2005, 02:32 pm »
I love her voice.  My first couple dance at my wedding was to their rendition of Blue Moon.  Trinity session is must for those who love female vocals.   What I really appreciate is that they sound just as good live -- their music is not "produced." I have seen them at Wolf Trap many times but the topper is that I actually saw them at 9:30 club in DC for New Year's Eve "celebration."  Even Margo came out and said I will try not to bring you down too much! :lol:

Daniel

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2005, 05:43 pm »
The Trinity Session is one of my favorite albums ever.  I heard that Lou Reed said that their version of Sweet Jane is his favorite.  I heard them somewhere in Boston shortly after the album came out.  The stage was bedecked with oriental carpets and candles.  Great stuff.  Their subsequent albums just don't hold a "candle" to the first, which still sounds good even though it is a late '80s mastering.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2005, 06:01 pm »
Given that Trinity Sessions is the masterpiece that it is, I still like "Lay It Down" a lot.  It's clearly more produced (what isn't) but not to the point of their later stuff.  "Open" isn't bad, and a decent SACD sonically, but Lay It Down is a favorite.  Give it a listen.

Ted

avalon65

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2005, 10:46 pm »
I've been a Junkies fan for over ten years and have seen them a half dozen times live. Having recently updated my DVD player I decided to listen/watch a DVD my wife purchased from their web site back in '02. It's concert footage from their Open Road tour in Quebec, a documentary and an interview/performance with Margo and Micheal. All I can say is OUTSTANDING!!! I have since used this DVD as a benchmark for all other music DVDs and nothing has come close(granted I haven't seen too many). The video and audio is fantastic. The DVD has 2 hours 45 minutes of footage. I think they recently release it at the retail level a few months ago. If you have any interest in the Junkies or enjoy music DVDs, I highly recommend picking it up.

nickspicks

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2005, 11:27 pm »
ok, if there is so much interest, then i'll dig up that recording.
I dont recall if it came out good or not.  I did use really nice gear at the time, but I remember being pissed about where they sat us.
i'll find it.

Gordy

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2005, 03:18 am »
Thanks you avalon65, I'll be picking that one up!

I pretty much agree with Ted's statement...

"Given that Trinity Sessions is the masterpiece that it is, I still like "Lay It Down" a lot. It's clearly..."

only want to add the I really love the 'Neath Your Covers EP that came with OneSoulNow.  Fantastic!

Nickspicks, I'm definitely interested, hopefully I'll have better luck than last time.  Never did resolve what my problem/issue was with playback :o
Please let us know if you "dig it up"!

nickspicks

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2005, 12:48 pm »
Gordon:
what happened last time?

everyone:
ok...i've found my masters.  i'm going to do a little editing (its a quiet recording)..and then i'll pass this off.
however...at some point durring my archiving the file names were truncated, and as a result I can't figure out the order of the tracks at all!
Nor am I familiar enough w/the material to put it right.
anyone?
I'll send you the .wav files.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2005, 01:47 pm »
Nick,  I would love to get a copy of that recording.  I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.  

Gordon,  already ordered my copy Saturday -- I was going to buy tix for the Stones at MCI but reconsidered and bought a bunch of CD's and SACD's at BMG (free S&H at 50% off) and Amazon.  Thanks for the link.  I figure I "saved" money like my wife "saves" money at outlet mall! :lol:

Gordy

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2005, 07:00 pm »
Nick,

You kindly sent me the Steve Kimock (sp?) cdr quite a while back, I never did get it to play in any of my players, always came up as undetected or not a cd etc.  I think we had a few pm's about it way back then...  

Woodsyi,

:lol:  I've been "saving" money too, buying quite a few used cd's from the Amazon dealers, so far it's been a good experience, all have been accurately rated for condition!  Shipping packages really vary in quality though...

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2005, 08:03 pm »
Last time I saw them they did an acoustic set and then went electric. :D

Margo Timmins is just so sultry :wink:  and has a voice that sooothes the savage beast inside.

I really like their 200 Miles cd also although distortion is prominent there might be 3 or 4 songs that I just have to crank up when I hear them. Some music just sounds so good played loudly.
 Does anybody know if the new cd will be out on vinyl?

Gordy

Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2005, 10:21 pm »
Hi Bill...  

"Loreena McKennett The Book of Secrets -"

I understand Loreena is back in the studio and aiming for a new release, finally, in later summer / early fall???  One can only hope!

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Cowboy Junkies...
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2005, 11:01 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on Loreena's upcoming release. Can't wait .

Bill