So, you are a vendor at an Audio Festival...

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
So, you are a vendor at an Audio Festival...
« on: 10 Oct 2023, 06:53 am »
What music would you play?

What music would you not play?

What music would you play as a scheduled themed musical attraction?

mix4fix

• Facilitator
Re: So, you are a vendor at an Audio Festival...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2023, 07:14 am »
I would play more older music. It's what the crowd knows and loves.

I would not play the same music over and over again. If you hear the same song every time you walk by a vendor's room, it is boring. As much music as there is out there, there is no reason to wear a crate of records in a weekend.

I would start with a 80s movie music rewind: all the songs that were the predominate one for a movie at the time. I would also have an crowd interaction for them to choose between one of two songs to be played next. If I had one of those large conference rooms (instead of a regular upstairs room), I would do an after hours and play stuff that doesn't get played during the day.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2023, 10:58 am »
Have you ever been to an Audio Show? There are some tried and true songs that seemingly get played over and over again, room to room, booth to booth. Why? Because everyone knows they have great sound, tone, dynamics, etc. Unfortunately, they are so overplayed that many people groan when hearing them yet again. The real joy is finding a piece of music that doesn't fall into this category but still conveys all of those good things and watching the reaction of the audience as they "get it".

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2023, 11:09 am »
The heck with music, we want beer and food.  Maybe a breakfast bar for the early morning crowd, with an espresso machine.  And top shelf scotch for the after hours sessions where the sales are actually made.  You could play the Carpenters all day if you did that.

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2023, 12:00 pm »
So, I don't make it to many audio shows.  What songs DO get played (over and over)?

But I agree, there are a lot of songs, good sounding songs, to choose from.  I tend to listen to rock and pop, so that's where my choices would come from; not so much jazz or classical, though I understand why they get played (i.e. they sound good).  I like older and newer, so I'd mix it up.  From The Doobie Brothers and Nat King Cole to Noah Cyrus and The National.  No, wait.  Some Elvis to Steely Dan to Steve Winwood.  No wait.  Well, pretty sure I could come up with a "no repeats" play list.

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2023, 12:21 pm »
Letitroll98 if that is what you like, then you need to go to the Fleetwood Sound Company’s room at the Munich High-End show. The alcohol was constantly flowing, I had to say no to more else I would be on the floor.  :wine:

Also they played music others would not play, it was the best room for me at Munich 2023. I think you would love their room. They were playing Either 2Pac or Notorious B.I.G. when I first walked in the room.
The CEO was very friendly and very chatty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpsjoAFh8eU

GeneS

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2023, 02:26 pm »
@Digi-G  A lot of Diana Krall, Dire Straits (especially Brothers in Arms), Nils Lofgren (Acoustic Live), different jazz cuts that I only know from the shows, a lot of female vocals.

Some of the vendors mix it up….Klaus Bunge from Odyssey Audio plays 90% vinyl (at least) and it’s Santana, Doors, Doobie Bros., and some limited digital (CD source) that ranges from Van Halen to Infected Mushroom. Always a surprise in that room.
Volti/Triode Wire Labs/Border Patrol mixes it up well, too. I think they’ll play anything you want (they stream through Innuos), but their selections are varied and their generosity with rehydration products is legendary.
Zu Audio (when they attended) was really diverse. Sean Casey really knows music.

I’m guessing most rooms play to their strengths, so the rooms who let the attendees choose the selections have a high level of confidence in their products. That always impresses me….not that every selection necessarily sounds great, but isn’t that why we’re there??

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2023, 03:22 pm »
I'd play whatever the people wanted. 

If I was a vendor, I'd invent and bring some big ass line arrays with vertically stacked OB subs.  For that I think large orchestral music would really show off what they could do. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2023, 03:30 pm »
  We provided a CD transport and DAC. We asked Attendees to bring their own music to play/ A server as well. Our choice in music is always live recordings. On hand, Classical, Jazz, country and rock.

charles

mix4fix

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2023, 05:26 pm »
Have you ever been to an Audio Show?

Yes. This is where my experiences come from. You play recognizable music, people will flock to a room. Not everyone listens to Classical and Jazz all the time.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2023, 05:33 pm »
No wait.  Well, pretty sure I could come up with a "no repeats" play list.

I'm being realistic to the repeating of songs. If you are passing by or peaking in room you been in before room, and they are playing the exact same song each time, there is a problem. I know you can't bring a truckload of vinyl. but come on. Bring enough.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2023, 05:40 pm »
  We provided a CD transport and DAC. We asked Attendees to bring their own music to play/ A server as well. Our choice in music is always live recordings. On hand, Classical, Jazz, country and rock.

charles

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Respect for that. I believe most vendors don't have faith in their products with normal music. But, normal music is what people listen to on a regular basis.

One problem though: where's the turntable? I see more vinyl being sold at an audio show than anything else. I know people who will buy a stack of records every year, and checking out rooms is secondary.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2023, 05:50 pm »
I run QOBUZ at shows so people can choose what they want for listening.  So far about 99% of the songs are available in HiRez streaming. 

I bring a SSD with music in case the facility internet has problems, but so far has worked well at 3 shows. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2023, 06:05 pm »
Qobuz has a great show playlist titled, MOFI - Andrew Jones Playlist. It has some fantastic demo songs from various genres.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2023, 06:56 pm »
Something more exciting than what they heard in the elevator

simoon

« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2023, 06:39 pm »
I will bring my own music, and have always had anything I want played, played.

And I listen to some pretty 'thorny' sounding classical, contemporary progressive jazz, and some contemporary prog.

All well recorded of course.

arteom

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2023, 04:24 am »
Pink Floyd - The Wall - Hey You

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2023, 10:08 am »
In The Flesh are a great opening track.
In The Flesh and Hey You have an tremendous impact in hi volume.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2023, 06:57 pm »
You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Respect for that. I believe most vendors don't have faith in their products with normal music. But, normal music is what people listen to on a regular basis.

One problem though: where's the turntable? I see more vinyl being sold at an audio show than anything else. I know people who will buy a stack of records every year, and checking out rooms is secondary.

They can go to the VPI room for that. Our system is Digital based. No offense but no noise, pops, etc. We do not like that.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2023, 11:36 pm »
I also came back to buy vinyl again.
But only classic albums from the past that have nice covers.
I never will listen them to not to wear them, I don't even have a TT.
Iam buying them just for the big beautiful covers.
Yes I think this is perfectly normal.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2023, 02:39 am by FullRangeMan »