And
    this is my favorite Mingus recording.....[/list:u]
      [/list:u]

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
        • http://www.vo-pro.com
      Mingus
      « Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2005, 02:51 pm »
      That's a no brainer!  Terrific album, close to perfect, certainly in my jazz top 10.

First heard Goodbye Pork Pie Hat done by Jeff Beck in the mid 70's.  Don't remember if it was Blow by Blow or Wired LP.  (hey, I am over 40 . . .)

Never knew who Mingus was when I was a kid, just the name of a composer.  At the time I don't think I would have appreciated it.  

JB did turn me on to fusion, then onto the next obvious step - Took a while to really get into "real" jazz - like Miles, Mingus, Coltrane etc.  Now I can't go a day without it!

ted_b

• Volunteer
      • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
      Some real good jazz here...
      « Reply #42 on: 27 Feb 2005, 03:10 pm »
      Quote from: lonewolfny42
      Glad to see some further interest in this thread. With so much good jazz out there, it's great that people are "paying attention"... 8) Yes, Jacky Terrason...excellent piano work. And Lee Morgan...sounding sweet....plus RVG produced !!! If your checking out the Blue Notes....look for RVG produced cd's.....most always rate very highly..... ***** A new idea....Gene Harris. Has a great collection on Concord, and on Blue Note check for "Gene Harris and the Three Sounds - "Live At The "IT Club" , Vol.'s 1 and 2. ...

His "Plus One" SACD is very good, and includes Ray Brown, of course (bass) PLUS Stanley Turrentine (sax).  His work on Ray's "Soular Energy" is great.  I've heard that the Concord SACD "Listen Here!" is excellent, and Rhapsody'd it a little this morning to concur (on first blush).

PhilNYC

Re: Mingus
      « Reply #43 on: 27 Feb 2005, 04:10 pm »
      Quote from: kirch

First heard Goodbye Pork Pie Hat done by Jeff Beck in the mid 70's.  Don't remember if it was Blow by Blow or Wired LP.  (hey, I am over 40 . . .)

It was Wired...and as big a jazz/Mingus fan as I am, Beck's version is still my favorite... :guitar:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
      « Reply #44 on: 27 Feb 2005, 04:30 pm »
      (hey, I am over 40 . . .)

Took a while to really get into "real" jazz - like Miles, Mingus, Coltrane etc.  Now I can't go a day without it!
      Over 40......that's ok, so am I.
        All good choice's to start your day. But once you hear the "main one's", I'd like to discover the one's you don't hear that much about, sort of un-discovered.... a little under the radar 8) .[/list:u]

ted_b

• Volunteer
      • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
      « Reply #45 on: 27 Feb 2005, 04:32 pm »
      Quote from: PhilNYC

It was Wired...and as big a jazz/Mingus fan as I am, Beck's version is still my favorite... :guitar:

Don't forget Joni's version.  Pretty interesting in it's own right.  Not canon Mingus by any means, but a diffferent take.......and Jaco to help interpret.

Ted

PhilNYC

« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2005, 05:18 pm »
      The most disapointing version of Goodbye Porkpie Hat (IMHO) was Stanley Clarke's on "If Only This Bass Could Talk" (1988)...a "smooth jazz" version if I ever heard one... :(

wowflutter

Jazz latecomer
      « Reply #47 on: 8 Mar 2005, 05:35 am »
      After collecting thousands of rock cd's and lp's. I finally got hooked on jazz.
      Bebop is where what I find myself returning to over and over. In the past year I've gotten around 50 jazz cd's and lp's. My favorites so far.....there's a bunch of them.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossous lp
      Sonny Rollins - Plus 4 lp
      Sonny Rollins - Way Out West lp
      Wes Montgomery - Movin Along Lp
      Oscar Peterson - Night Train CD
      Coltrane - Blue Train DC
      Max Roach - Percussion Bittersweet CD
      Keith Jarrett - At the Blue Note Box set
      Jazz at the Philharmonic Box set
      Sonny Rollins - the Bridge - CD
      S. Getz & C. Baker - Stan Meets Chet CD
      Ahmad Jamal - Awakening
      Bill Evans - At the Montreux Jazz Festival
      Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
      Various - A Night in With Verve Box set
      Various - A Night out with Verve Box Set

As You can see, I'm Hooked. Just got these a couple days ago. I haven't formed an opinion yet:

Bud Powell - Complete Box Set CD
      Dave Holland - Razor's Edge CD
      Chet Baker - Baker's Holiday SACD
      Various - Roger's & Hart Songbooks Box CD
      Ahmad Jamal - Ahmad's Blues
      Roland Kirk - Rip, Rig & Panic

wowflutter

Universal SACD & LP dead?
      « Reply #48 on: 30 Apr 2005, 05:21 am »
      What in the world is Universal records doing. I've seen no new SACD's scheduled to be released. They have even closed there Vinyl pressing plant, one of the largest left in the business. Do they think for a minute that people actually will buy the DualDisc crap.

I hope I don't have to start listening to cds again.
      I even heard that they are looking in to the whole ringtone thing for a boost in profits. Come on people!

chadh

« Reply #49 on: 2 May 2005, 03:20 am »
      Given so many extensive music collections, somebody here must be able to help me.  Where, oh where can I find truly listenable recordings of Charlie Parker?  I mean, I know the stuff is old, but for some reason his recordings seem to have fared worse than others in terms of production quality.  (Or maybe the same quality degredation is just that much more galling when it hits someone like Chalie Parker?).

Anyway, any suggestions would be very warmly received.

Oh, and if you're looking for versions of Goodbye Porkpie Hat, I hope you've heard the Mingus version from "Three of Four Shades of Blues."  Mingus goes electric, with Phillip Catherine, Larry Coryell and John Schofield (a last minute replacement for John McLaughlin) all playing electric guitar.  Well, I guess they played one each.

Chad

BeeBop

« Reply #50 on: 2 May 2005, 10:14 am »
      Here's a 20 Bit Fantasy Jazz remaster of 'Jazz at Massey Hall' and a couple of other Fantasy remasters. Probably as good as it's gonna get.

BeeBop

« Reply #51 on: 2 May 2005, 06:51 pm »
      The Brass Orchestra; JJ Johnson; Verve
      J.J. Inc.; JJ Johnson; Columbia Legacy

Here are a couple of JJ Johnson CDs that I recently picked up. JJ is a trombone player and jazz man in the swinging jazz tradition. He has about a dozen recordings in the Penguin Guide to Jazz ranked ***(*) - which means they couldn't make up their mind as to whether it really deserved that 4th star. This is my taste in jazz and I have no problem giving both of these 4 full stars (IMHO). He also has a couple witht he full with 4 stars and a coveted crown (I haven't heard these yet). A look at the sidemen who play with JJ gives you some idea of the league he plays in and the style he plays: Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Horace Silver, Charles Mingus, Wynton Kelly, Cedar Walton, Clifford Jordan, John Faddis, Rene Rosnes... the list goes on.

"Should you ever tire of the ubiquitous sound of the saxophone, this is a delicious antidote." opines the Penguin Guide. If you like fifties/sixties style original jazz, you will probably like JJ Johnson.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000047EN.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg" width='150'><----->http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002AJF.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg" width='150'>

pfradale

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2005, 01:15 pm »
      McCoy Tyner The Real McCoy and Land of Giants. LoG is very well-recorded.

I like vibes, so Bobby Hutcherson, Milt Jackson (alone or with MJQ), Cal Tjader are often in rotation.

The Bob Florence Limited Edition Whatever Bubbles Up and With All the Bells and Whistles offer modern big band recordings with great dynamics.

Paul Desmond Take Ten and Bossa Antigua show just how much he contributed to the Brubek Quartet.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers have gotten the RVG re-issue treatment; I have several and love them.

Elvin Jones and Richard Davis Heavy Sounds tracks 2 & 5 are worth a listen.

Ken McIntyre The Complete UA Sessions has some great work on it.

Charles Earland has some smoking work on the B3.

Wes Montgomery Groove Brothers; actually a lot of his albums are great.

Others I have many discs from: Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Mingus, Rollins, Davis, Coltrane, Hubbard...the list goes on.

Double Time records have some new artists that are quite good as well though not in the same style as the 50s-60s.

pfradale

I forgot!
      « Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2005, 01:39 pm »
      Kenny Burrell does a version of All Blues that has an amazing bass line.  I have it on a compilation but have yet to find the original disc that features it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
      « Reply #54 on: 21 Jun 2005, 05:54 am »
      The Gene Harris/Scott Hamilton Quintet - "At Last", on Concord Jazz.....I've been playing this cd now for a few nites...well recorded, easy, smooth sounds. One I'd recommend and one I keep playing over and over :D . Info Link.
        pfradale...some nice picks there. I'll also mention McCoy Tyner...his last was quiet good..."Illuminations" , as was and older cd , "Infinity", which featured Michael Brecker.
        [/list:u]