New V3 users chime in

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
Re: New V3 users chime in
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:13 pm »
Maligue just like any change to a system differences will be made to the sound delivered to our ears. In the case of the change from V2 to V3 differences for better sound were made to my system. I ve gone the entire Ref 9 upgrade process. Each and everyone was a different and improved sound from my system to my ears.
The original Ref 9 brought a reasonable costing, low cost operating, fine sounding amp. SE brought to the table a reserve power supply for peaks in your favorite music and more detail. Then came along V2 that upgrade improved the upper frequency area from Ref 9 SE along with better bass response. Now to my memory these 2 upgrades delivered there completed breakin sound in a shorter amount of time. 
The upper frequency change that V2 brought to my ears was a little much in up front stand up sounds. Cymbals, bells, and other high frequency sounds were to present. V3 brought that anomaly back to a more life like live musical sound. Along with improvements to other areas mentioned above.
To my ears i didn't get adjusted to what i m hearing now from V3 because of hearing the amp over time. I m hearing better sound because V3 delivers it with a life like presentation above and beyond the past evolution of Ref 9. Why the longer breakin i dont know or care. For me a every day music listener getting better sound at a affordable cost is a no brainer.
And it is a better cost wise way to get improvements to the sound of a system by upgrading instead of moving to a new and more costly alternative. This is my opinion and i stand by it. Mike

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #101 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:48 pm »
Beachbum
I could not agree more with you and full support from here :thumb:

Arnoldhasmail

« Reply #102 on: 5 Jan 2010, 07:10 pm »
It seems that most people agree that the bottom end and mid range have been improved...sound stage...without a doubt...no one seems to disagree here.  My concern is the top end...I own the 9sev2's and do feel there is room for improvement and better coherency in the top end...and that seems to be what the v3 provides...but is it at the cost of extension???  I've found that my tube amps provided better balance AND extension on the top and would welcome that change in my v2's...

beachbum

« Reply #103 on: 5 Jan 2010, 11:24 pm »
David C anyone whos had these fine amps in there system knows there capabilities and the enjoyment they can bring to our ears.

Arnold like mentioned i found V 2 to most definitely improve on Ref 9 SE sound wise. But for me i heard high frequency sounds stand out some what unrealistically. Out of proportion with lower upper end and mid range sounds. This is one of the things i believe V 3 has over V 2. I  understand your concern because before my upgrade to V 3 even with my description above i had many hours of musical enjoyment with V 2 and all in all did not want to lose what sounded so good.
Now with V 3, basically i guess with over 300 plus hours of break in, V 3 has many musical delights over V 2. IMO All mentioned in threads here and else where. 
Good luck with your decision.
Mike

Arnoldhasmail

« Reply #104 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:08 am »
Thanks!  I understand what your saying...and I do want the better balanced sound...but, do you find the amp to have less extension or more extension than the V2

mcullinan

« Reply #105 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:26 am »
I believe they have the same extension. V2 just had a bump in the highs to give it perceived detail while the V3 does not. But they both go up to 20KHz.

Arnoldhasmail

« Reply #106 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:37 am »
not really what I was asking...I'm not asking the frequency response...asking about perceived extension when listening.

beachbum

« Reply #107 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:18 am »
I have a idea Arnold contact Jason ask for a V 3 loner and then you can answer your question in your own home and with your own system. Mike

maligue

« Reply #108 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:18 am »
Following up on my previous post about upgrade expectations and with respect to 'Arnoldhasmail''s post: I have yet to go down the upgrade path for the Ref 9 V2 SE precisely because of a felictous experience with 'tube amps'. I recently mated a Prima Luna Prologue Three with the NuForce monos and discovered pretty much all I can reasonably expect from a two channel music system. A marriage made, well, not in heaven, but right here in my listening room. Both the Bryston BP26 and the Nuforce P-9 are enjoying a break from hard duty.
This was the motivation behind my thoughts about system synergy, on the one hand, and our experience of music, on the other. Each time a change in the system is made, upgrade or otherwise, reeducation of the ear - i.e. the brain - takes place. The question is whether sometimes, for aesthetic reasons, the education fails to take hold.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #109 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:09 pm »
V3 is definitely better than V2 without making any sacrifice.  See the amp history here:
http://www.nuforce.com/hi/faq/faq-V-history.html

mcullinan

« Reply #110 on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:35 pm »
There are important gains. Soundstage depth and size. Lower mid detail which was missing from V2. A unity to the presentation of the music.

Definitely worth it.

David C

« Reply #111 on: 6 Jan 2010, 05:19 pm »
The new V3 is very good as mentioned in the previous threads and I agree that my ear has little memory and listening is a function of many factors. The fact of a need for a relatively long burn in puts further distance from a V2 comparision that is meaningful. I am very pleased with the upgrade but did wonder about tube pre amp users as it may have been perfect with the V2 which to my ear emphaised the high end but I wonder if with the V3 it a bit much of taking the egde off. Let me state I have never owned valve amps or pre amps

gammajo

« Reply #112 on: 6 Jan 2010, 07:23 pm »
I am in line for the V3 upgrade to my V2SeRef that I run with an Audio Horizons tubed pre. The tubed pre is wonderful but I think V2 could still using more finesse in the highs. I also found a great improvement with the V2 by using vibration control such as 5 lbs lead bag on top and Hyperion Magnetic Floaters on the bottom. Anyone else using vibration control?  Thanks for all teh posts helping me to decide on the upgrade
Joe
BTW I run with Northstar Transport and Cd and Von Schweikert VR4SR's

mcullinan

« Reply #113 on: 6 Jan 2010, 07:45 pm »
The new V3 is very good as mentioned in the previous threads and I agree that my ear has little memory and listening is a function of many factors. The fact of a need for a relatively long burn in puts further distance from a V2 comparision that is meaningful. I am very pleased with the upgrade but did wonder about tube pre amp users as it may have been perfect with the V2 which to my ear emphaised the high end but I wonder if with the V3 it a bit much of taking the egde off. Let me state I have never owned valve amps or pre amps
I would think that depends on the preamp. Tube preamps shouldnt limit the high frequencies, but perhaps some do.

worldcat

« Reply #114 on: 8 Jan 2010, 10:07 pm »
Just received my V3's they don't sound that bad out of the box, sure they need to open up but boy do they sound good so far.   I hooked up the magic cubes as well before on V2's now on the V3's they make a nice upgrade as well.  Can't wait till everything is broken in I will keep you posted.

beachbum

« Reply #115 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:29 am »
I felt the same way worldcat right out of the box the sound is very listenable. enjoy the breakin period and let us know your thoughts. mike

mmakshak

« Reply #116 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:08 am »
I used 4-inch Mapleshade amp stands on the 9v2, and they work well.  I also use Lessloss power cords.  They work fantastically(and Casey, I will bring these over for you to try, if you like.  Sorry I haven't gotten back with you on that.).  I should mention that I have dedicated lines from Whitlock(Audiogon).  I use vinyl exclusively now.  I have a question about V3. Do recordings sound more unique from each other than they did with V2?

David C

« Reply #117 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:46 pm »
mmakshak
I think you will really enjoy the V3s. Mine took about 170 hr and now they have  rejuvenated my listening to music. I am courious about the Magic cube, I have read the Nuforce data on it and I am still not sure what it solves or improves. Do you have two of them in your system and how do you have them hooked up? Can you tell a difference with and without them?

gammajo

« Reply #118 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:44 pm »
Also curious about the magic cubes

worldcat

« Reply #119 on: 9 Jan 2010, 05:12 pm »
I tried the magic cube with a pair V2's and the cube improved the imaging and micro details and clarity of the voices.  I am bi-wire at speakers to the cube and from amp to cube using the cable provided.  I have the Nuforce cables as well.  So far ever thing is nice, the V3's i have on now have not opened up but sound pretty good.