Bay Area repair shops?

chrisgwd

Bay Area repair shops?
« on: 19 Apr 2008, 04:38 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a plate amp in a M&K subwoofer that is acting wonky.  Any recommendations for a good repair shop in ht eBay area?  Preferably east or south bay.

Thanks,
Chris

TheChairGuy

Re: Bay Area repair shops?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2008, 05:37 pm »
Hey Chris,

Might want to look thru here for some choices: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31232.0

John

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2008, 05:54 pm »
Chris:
 If you have no luck you might try Parts Express. They have subwoofer plate amps on their website. Crying shame M&K went under.

Cheers
                                          Charlie

kurtbauer

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2008, 06:13 pm »
Guys,

I checked out the thread that John referenced and didn't find L&M.  It's right across from the Cow Palace.  The owner's name is a friend of mine and his name is Wolfgang.  He's been there a lot of years and if can't fix whatever (unlikely) he'll tell you and won't jack you in the process.

Kurt

lipsync

• offspring in land down under
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2008, 06:13 pm »
L & M did good work although it took me bringing back the tuner 2 or 3 times.  I dont think the tech realized that there was a battery powered memory on this classic luxman I had.  And he retrofited a battery since the original was obviously down for the count. They also did manage to locate an out of production IC from San Mateo Electronics.  I thought that charging me 200 as soon as I came in the door was a little high.  But,  they did not charge me anymore after finding something else that needed attention.  (memory back up)    I use a retired old timer in the e.bay ,,,although it is good to have a schematic for whatever you want worked on.  His prices are very fair.     

chrisgwd

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2008, 03:49 am »
Where is L&M? 

Has anyone ever worked with R&B Electronics Service Co. in Redwood City?  I found them via the McIntosh Authorized service list.

The list in the other thread is for retail stores, not really repair services.  I know many of them have arrangements, but most would probably not want to deal with a sub from a company that no longer exists.  Well, went bankrupt and appears to have something going on in denmark or something.

Thanks again guys,
Chris

sundayduffer

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2008, 04:26 am »
Where is L&M? 

Has anyone ever worked with R&B Electronics Service Co. in Redwood City?  I found them via the McIntosh Authorized service list.

The list in the other thread is for retail stores, not really repair services.  I know many of them have arrangements, but most would probably not want to deal with a sub from a company that no longer exists.  Well, went bankrupt and appears to have something going on in denmark or something.

Thanks again guys,
Chris

RB Elect...i've used them couple years back to replace the dvd laser on my mcintosh 831...they are professional, know their crafts, reasonably priced. Then again, this was two yrs ago. Give them a call and pay them a visit...get a quote. Good Luck.

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2009, 05:58 pm »
 Just an FYI. Do not use Spectrum Electronics in San Jose. I thought these guys were good. I had taken a couple TVs to them and they did me good. Did not over charge me and the work was done in short time. I have a KLH sub that was emitting a horrible sound, regardless if any signal was being supplied. I took it in and they troubled shot it. It was a bad cap. They fix it and all is good....3 months later same thing happens. Cap blows and they will not repair it (for free) because it's past the 30 day warranty.

I don't know anything about how electronics work. But I figured there was another cause for the Cap blowing, not that it was a bad cap to begin with. I use a multi meter and test all the circuits and find 6 bad resistors. I have replaced all of them and put in a new cap. I'm having problems with 1 little wire. It disconnected before I could see where it went. It connects to a resistor on one circuit board and lead down to the other board. I'm just not sure where it went. My wife says it's a jumper. Any ideas?  Anyway, It just showed me that they did no such trouble shooting. It was very poor of them not to fix a problem that they never fixed to begin with.

This worries me because I don't trust shops anymore. I have a B&W woofer that is in need of repair. By all physical appearances, it looks fine. But it will emit very little sound. I tested the crossover and it works fine. When connected directly to my amp, it kicked the amps protective circuitry and it shut off. So, would this be in the voice coil? Now I have to find someone to fix it.

Mortsnets

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:11 am »
There is a post on Steve Hoffman forums saying good things about
Gene's Sound Service 415 377-1258
audio repair  house calls in SF and surrounding cities.
http://www.genessoundservice.com/

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=200755

Meicheng

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:25 am »
I had very good luck with the repair facility for World of Sound in Mill Valley.  It is a behind the retail the store one block but right off the freeway.  Anyway, they repaired a problem with my Marantz tuner in about 2 days and its worked great since. 

Mortsnets

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:17 pm »
Recent audio asylum thread says good things about two vintage repair shops in Sacramento:

Vintage Repair: The Stereo Doctor - works out or Ray's auto stereo Sacramento

Good vintage audio repair shop in midtown Sacramento Luis Galvan 1812 J St. Suite #8

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vintage&m=188749

Mortsnets

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:41 pm »
Recently mentioned on the Pitch Perfect Audio site
(http://pitchperfectaudio.wordpress.com/):

Classical Audio Service
Arden Allen
http://www.classical-audio.com/
audioservice@pacbell.net
vintage repair and restoration

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:33 pm »
Chris:

M&K Subs did not come with a plate amp. Someone must have replaced the original amp in your sub with a plate amp. The amp on one of my M&K subs gave out. I replaced it with a plate amp I got from Parts express. I think it was $109.00. More now $139.00 Works like a charm and was very easy to install. sku 300-805

Cheers
                                               Charlie

bobbyrae

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:06 am »
I have taken a cassette deck to L&M in Daly City and have been happy with the results.  It was mainly a physical fix of a plastic part that broke and could not be replaced -- they used some special glue or epoxy that has held for years.

I have also taken a receiver to the Sound Well in Berkeley and have been OK with the results. I was frustrated with their communication regarding delivery time, however.  They started out saying 3 weeks, then after a month, said it would be yet another month, and then the VERY NEXT day said it was ready to pick up!!!!! And no explanation except, "well, it's ready now... it wasn't me you talked to before..."