Next Sunday Feb 10th

Charles Calkins

Re: Next Sunday Feb 10th
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:44 pm »
tuan:

I had a great time at Bill's yesterday. Great sound and great guys. I'm such a dumdum when it comes to the technical side of audio gear that I enjoy listening to sharp guys talk about the inner workings of audio gear. I do like to listen though. Been doing that for a lot of years. Thanks again Bill for a great afternoon.

Cheers
                                  Charlie

Sonny

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:20 am »
Guys...
Here's a link to the discussion on my cables...

I know I know...I should have brought a pair...

Tuan

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50447.0

Berndt

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:53 am »
Ed, what was that muddy waters LP?
Thank you so much for letting us audition the kab/technics.
It really laid the jvc to waste.

low.pfile

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:49 am »
bill,

It was the new release of muddy waters, folk singer on 200g vinyl

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/77126

Great to meet everyone at my first AC gathering!

I have yet to see what the pics look like. my camera is home. will post up if decent.

Berndt

« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:02 am »
What is your icon, Ed?
Thanks, Bill

low.pfile

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:10 am »
What is your icon, Ed?
Thanks, Bill

me at thunderhill at a keigwin's at the track class. pic thanks to gotmilk.com

low.pfile

« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:33 am »
A few pics of the Feb 10th meet at Bill's

^   Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules/Ben~gineer 40 watt monoblocks/Exemplar pre amp /KABmod'Technics SL1210 TT

^   Sweet spot not needed (with the great off axis Jazz Modules)
       (Left to right) Dennis' shoulder, Bill, Charlie, and Ben. Missing: Tuan and Kurt

^   Dennis and Ed trying to duck the camera

^   The Jolida powerhouse and some Zepplin

....sorry I didn't capture everyone....focused more on the sound!

ed

« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 03:43 am by low.pfile »

Berndt

« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:35 am »
Nice, Ed, Thanks!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:40 am »
What did you guys think of the Jazz Modules speakers ? Thanks... :thumb:

low.pfile

« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:51 am »
My take (without any flowery audio phrases) is that they are mega dynamic. As mentioned in my caption, they sound very very good off-axis (with a generous toe in--not shown in photo above). Even the 40 watt monoblocks drove them nicely. And the jazz modules can go loud (with the Jolida's). A very fun speaker. I like they way they have that old school floorstander feel as compared to the more ubiquitous narrow towers.

Sonny

« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:43 am »

Chris....
Personally, I like the Jazz Modules...
I thought they sounded wonderful with the Ben-engineer 40wpc and even better with the Jolidas...
They have a very extended highs and good powerful bass...I am more used to speakers with a mid-driver, so to me, they were a smidgen light on the midrange (personal feel here)...

We play Muddy Water's "folk singer" lp and WOW, every bit of the guitar came alive!  I heard very very much detail...and the best thing was, as extended they were in the highs...it was effortless and with not a single hint of grain of brightness...

Good system Bill, now don't go a changin'!!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:49 am »
Thanks guys.... :thumb:

Duke does build some very nice speakers....glad to see them "getting around" ! 8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:17 am »
wow  :o - the JVC got creamed by the KAB/Technics?  Did the Technics have only the damping trough for mods....and did you (Bill) fill the JVC with Plast-i-Clay (9 or so lbs it can likely hold)? 

It's pretty important stuff to do...otherwise the Technics is considerably better in the all-important feedback rejection as the tri-layer sandwich construction is a thing of beauty  :thumb:  You have to take greater care to isolate the JVC as it ain't so great from the factory in that remarkably important aspect of performance.

I haven't set up both of mine to compare, but overall I think the sounds I was getting from my $100.00 Plast-i-Clay stuffed JVC was on par in many respects to the Technics/Origin Live $3K bastardization  :roll:

John

low.pfile

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:23 am »
wow  :o - the JVC got creamed by the KAB/Technics?

I wouldn't say creamed. (Remember that I am new to turntable ownership...all my friends who have em call em record players.....So I was there at the meet to learn more about the topic). We listened to my Technics for over 2 hours, but only listened to the JVC for only about 5 minutes. The problem with the JVC was that it exhibited a great deal of feedback which was very aubible when we played our Muddy Waters reference track.

Did the Technics have only the damping trough for mods....and did you (Bill) fill the JVC with Plast-i-Clay (9 or so lbs it can likely hold)? 
My technics has the trough mod, a cardas tonearm rewire, and added RCA plate. It has a combo of a Sound DeadSteel mat under a herbie's mat. I'm running an AT 150MLX MM cart.

NOTE: I was curious about my mat combo's effect so we swapped Bill's stock rubber mat on the JVC to the SDS/herbies combo and the feedback was reduced considerably (about 40-50% to me), though it was still present.  Bill did mention the JVC was clayed but it was not visible on the exterior.

ed

« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 08:06 am by low.pfile »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:00 pm »
Ohhh, gotcha's now Ed, thanks  :thumb:

Even clay'ed, the JVC needs to have that awful ringing platter damped down, too.  The rubber mat really doesn't do it....I have spray coated the inner platter with a light layer of plast-i-clay as well, and have an AQ sorbothane mat under the Herbie's on mine.  Along with the clay inside.....the whole she-bang is also carefully set up on a 4" maple block.

Unless BB changed it out, he's got the Grado Gold....with incredibly chintzy bonded (not nude) elliptical tip....the type AT sells in their $29.00 cartridges :( 

To shine, they need to be damped with 1000cst silicone on the coils, given a van Alstine Longhorn and they need a shibata/line stylus.  As with London cartridges and as TheCartridgeMan has found on his gussied up $1200.00 Grado Gold - these moving irons lack adequate tracking unless they have a shibata/line or other over-extended hyperelliptical stylus.

It's a lot of work to get a Grado to sound perfect.....more than any sane person should bear.  Me, I'm certifiable  :roll:

Your AT150MLX might be the pinnacle of high-output moving magnet designs ever made...no wonder your 1200 trounced the JVC.

Hope to meet ya' (and you all) at a near future event.  I'm moving from here by April 1 so onward to find a new listening spot and abode for me.

Thx, John