Recommendation for $4000 USD or lower high quality turntable

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Recommendation for $4000 USD or lower high quality turntable
« Reply #40 on: 20 Mar 2019, 11:59 pm »
Friend of mine just set a VPI   Super Prime Scout with lots of very nice features... got to admit, if I was spending that kinda scratch on a TT, it would be pretty tempting.  A nice package from Upscale Audio for about $3K
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/vpi-super-prime-scout?variant=9529144574012&gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IXaeBPVquoJLHmEZxJ_nFBJg17pBjrBjQSAwJw851HqEoDq0fnsVChoCuU0QAvD_BwE

drab

« Reply #41 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:13 am »
Friend of mine just set a VPI   Super Prime Scout with lots of very nice features... got to admit, if I was spending that kinda scratch on a TT, it would be pretty tempting.  A nice package from Upscale Audio for about $3K
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/vpi-super-prime-scout?variant=9529144574012&gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IXaeBPVquoJLHmEZxJ_nFBJg17pBjrBjQSAwJw851HqEoDq0fnsVChoCuU0QAvD_BwE

That's quite a bit off the listed retail!  :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #42 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:26 am »
That's quite a bit off the listed retail!  :lol:
I hadn't noticed that before.   :lol:
Maybe the list was in Yen? 

undertowogt1

« Reply #43 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:55 am »
I hadn't noticed that before.   :lol:
Maybe the list was in Yen?
I have seen that one. Thats 3850 Canadian dollars.  :duh:

Yomaha

« Reply #44 on: 21 Mar 2019, 05:37 pm »

I've been looking at that VPI table at Upscale as well.  It doesn't come with a cart but they have a couple of options in the drop down there.  I hadn't been factoring in cart cost...

twitch54

« Reply #45 on: 21 Mar 2019, 06:44 pm »
Just me but anything that is not pioneer or micro direct drive and micro belt drive record player should be avoided.

do you feel Pioneer is better than Technics ?

displayname

« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2019, 09:56 pm »
I do kinda like the new Mofi tables...
I'll chime in after owning my MoFi Ultradeck a little over 6 months. I looked at Rega and Technics as well in the price range (shopping a step down from your $4K budget).

I haven't spent extensive time with the $4k options on your list, so I won't compare to those. I do love my UD though. I have it paired with the MasterTracker cart, which was my favorite sound after some demos. I think it's really a great table, and it even with the recent price increase it's still worth the money. Having said all of that, at the $4K price point the 1200G and VPI Prime would be at the top of my demo list.

bacobits1

« Reply #47 on: 24 Mar 2019, 01:51 am »
Check out the EAT tables

https://www.europeanaudioteam.com

SET Man

« Reply #48 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:50 am »
Yes, I have one. A great upgrade from my P3-24 with the Exact2.
The Apheta2 needs at least 40 houres to really « shine ».

Hey!

This new design from Rega is very interesting by using foam core. But I can't help thinking of how the foam will be years from now. I know some foam dry up, become brittle and crumble over time. OK, I think there are newer foams these day and I'm sure Rega did research on this before using that particular foam.

Anyway, my first so called "Audiophile" TT is Rega Planar 2 that I new bought back in 1997. I still have it but might sell it soon since I don't really use it now. I do like the Rega tonearms though.

Hi fellow audio addicts,

Currently I have a Project Debut III Turntable that I have been pretty happy with for the past 10 years. I am looking into get a "forever" table. A turntable that I will be happy with for the next 20 -30 years or more. I can always upgrade the cart but I would plan to have the table for a very long time. I would like to keep my budget for the Table and arm around 4000 USD ( I am from Canada so its really Like 5000 plus taxes). I do like the style of the VPI Prime and have read amazing reviews, but you know how reviews can be. I am ok with proper setup and alignment and have all the tools I need for that. I also have cleaning machines etc, so the money would be just for the Table and arm. I would want something with style, value, and function (sounds like the prime, I know), but is that my only choice. I am not a big fan of the Rega, they seem too plan, but I do kinda like the new Mofi tables and the cheaper Linn Sondeck LP12 Tables

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated

$4000? Man! Wish I could say that myself  :lol: Here's my $0.02 US cents or $0.03 Canadian cents? Anyway, how about Michell Gyro SE with RB303 arm? Around $3600 I think.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/gyrose/

OK, I've never own one but I have to admit that I admire the look and design of this TT, especially in silver with silver tonearm... although I would prefer the brass weights to be silver too. This have been around for sometime now and have been updated over the years. So, perhaps there's still something going for this TT today.

I remembered back in the early 2000's I wanted one, but of course I didn't have money back then :? Well, the price of that TT have gone up since then though.

Buddy

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #49 on: 27 Mar 2019, 11:38 am »
Undertowogt1,

Sent you a pm.

Best,
Anand.

kclark0395

« Reply #50 on: 27 Mar 2019, 01:47 pm »
It would be hard to go wrong with almost any table in that price range so you could really just buy what looks the best to you because I can't really think of any in that realm that would not be excellent. If it were me, I'd look seriously at the Lenco based offerings at PTP Audio.

Maceo23

« Reply #51 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:39 pm »
I secong the PTP Audio recommendation.  Idler wheel table are magic.  I built a custom Lenco table using PTP parts and it was amazing.  It was going to be my forever table until I happened to inherit a ridiculously high end table.  Otherwise I would have never parted with it.

undertowogt1

« Reply #52 on: 2 Apr 2019, 04:21 am »
I am really liking the Townshed Rock 7 or the WTL Amedeus. The Townshed Rock is really grabbing my attention. These design ideas look promising, the reviews also (I trust audio circle member more than reviews though)

FYI , I would be buying on reviews  and advice only, there is no way I can audition these tables with any effect. I can not A/B them etc.

undertowogt1

« Reply #53 on: 2 Apr 2019, 05:24 am »
It would be hard to go wrong with almost any table in that price range so you could really just buy what looks the best to you because I can't really think of any in that realm that would not be excellent. If it were me, I'd look seriously at the Lenco based offerings at PTP Audio.
I have been looking into these after your recommendation , thank you

undertowogt1

« Reply #54 on: 5 Apr 2019, 10:19 pm »
I am seriously considering  used WTL Amadeus MK I with the LTD tone arm, no Cart for 2500 USD Any thoughts on the table and price? I have not heard one before but like the design

SET Man

« Reply #55 on: 7 Apr 2019, 12:32 am »
I am really liking the Townshed Rock 7 or the WTL Amedeus. The Townshed Rock is really grabbing my attention. These design ideas look promising, the reviews also (I trust audio circle member more than reviews though)

FYI , I would be buying on reviews  and advice only, there is no way I can audition these tables with any effect. I can not A/B them etc.

Hey!

I see, at first I thought that you want to buy new. Anyway, between the two I would go with the Rock 7. I've heard the Rock 7 a few years ago locally here at Wes Bender Studio NYC. With Rega arm, I forgot what cart was on there. But it was also with top notch components. I thought it was weird and would be annoying and messy at first when I saw the damping in the front. But after I put on a few LPs I got used to the operation with the front damping. I have damping with my SME 3009 II arm but it is in the back, it does help but I'm sure it is not as effective as the front like one on the Rock 7.

As for the sound, it was solid. The detail and almost no smear. If you think about it damping at the front make sense. Also, the turntable itself is well built. Sadly I couldn't afford it back then, otherwise I would have bought one. I think the Rock 7 is no longer in production now.

Anyway, if you can audition both of those TTs than that would be good. Well, good luck and keep us posted.

Buddy

Anyway, as for WTL. I remembered seeing it and read about only. So, can't comment on that. A bit strange with the tonearm thing .

undertowogt1

« Reply #56 on: 24 Apr 2019, 12:55 pm »
I know all the Audio Circle Members love to here updates to threads. Last night I picked up my Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA MK2. Hopefully this table will be with me for many years.  The table is a DEMO unit in mint condition, with all packaging and accessories. The dealer gave me 40 percent off retail so it turned out to be in my budget. The table looks and feels very solid. Thanks everyone for their input

SET Man

« Reply #57 on: 19 May 2019, 02:08 am »
I know all the Audio Circle Members love to here updates to threads. Last night I picked up my Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA MK2. Hopefully this table will be with me for many years.  The table is a DEMO unit in mint condition, with all packaging and accessories. The dealer gave me 40 percent off retail so it turned out to be in my budget. The table looks and feels very solid. Thanks everyone for their input

Hey!

Well, congratulation on your new turntable. Yes, keep us posted how do you like it in your system.

Buddy

PierreB

« Reply #58 on: 19 May 2019, 04:20 am »
Don’t forget to post a photo or 2  :thumb:

axb13

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jun 2020, 06:38 am »
The sound and the look of a turntable are important both. You will be looking at the table, so you better like the looks of it. For me, I love the vintage look, so the easiest thing is vinylnirvana TT. Dave is a magician, he is able to make this TT look vintage but perform like new! That is where my vote goes...