cover art in Manic Moose

Calypte

cover art in Manic Moose
« on: 30 Sep 2022, 10:22 am »
I have a BDP-pi, but I'm guessing the other BDP players are identical in how they rebuild the Manic Moose database when the player is rebooted. 

There are three visible steps that I've observed in the reboot of MM: (1) "Update"; (2) "Sort music into Bryston DB"; and (3) "Folder Build."  The "folder build" repeats numerous times, perhaps once for each beginning letter of the alphabet in the folders.

The database rebuild process is necessary to create the thumbnails of cover art.  There are two types of thumbnails: (1) small thumbnails for display in the lists of folders in MM; and (2) large thumbnails for display in the large window in MM when a folder has been selected for play.  Any JPEG with the name of "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" can be used to create thumbnails.  All of mine are named "cover.jpg."  Most of my thumbnails display the cover of the album.  My interest is classical music.  For CDs that I've "ripped," I retrieve cover art from the web.  Occasionally I'm unable to find a suitable album cover, so I substitute a picture of the conductor or composer or soloist.  I've had to learn about all of this along the way, so many of my oldest rips don't have cover art. I've been slowly going back to the old rips to insert the cover art into the folders.  Downloads of albums from commercial sites always come with cover art. 

OK.  Here's where I'm going with all of this.  The process of creating thumbnails from files named "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" has never failed.  The large thumbnails always display correctly (when they exist) in the large display window in MM when a folder has been selected to play. 

But the small thumbnails, the ones that show up in the lists of folders, are another matter.  Even though the small thumbnails get created during the reboot, they often don't show in MM.  To give a current example, I have twenty-four recordings of Rachmaninoff's Symphony No 2.  Each of the recordings has its own folder, and all twenty-four recordings are subfolders under a folder called "Rachmaninoff Sym 2," which in turn is a subfolder under a folder for Rachmaninoff.  Each recording has its own folder, because the symphony consists of four movements ("songs"), which are typically played in order when the symphony is played.  This is the setup I use for all of my composers, of which there are hundreds (famous ones like Beethoven and obscure ones like Gigout).  In many cases the small thumbnails display as they should, and I can look at a list of all of the recordings that I have of a particular piece of music and see all of the little thumbnails.  But sometimes they don't display in MM.  And I don't know why.  In the case of "Rachmaninoff Sym 2," even though all of the little thumbnails exist, they don't show up in the list.  Not only do they not appear, but MM seems to think something is wrong when I look at the "Rachmaninoff Sym 2" folder,
Whenever I look at that folder, MM tries to do a "folder build," which usually freezes at about 90%. 

I'm baffled about the behavior of the small thumbnails, why they show sometimes, and why they don't show other times.

Calypte

Re: cover art in Manic Moose
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2022, 05:54 am »
To be clear, the problems are with the small thumbnails that show in the lists of albums in MM.  The big thumbnails work perfectly in all respects. 

OK.  Having played with this today and this evening, I am satisfied that there are unresolved bugs in MM regarding the small thumbnails.  MM creates them correctly.  But MM's behavior when displaying them is unpredictable.  Sometimes MM will fail to display an existing thumbnail.  Sometimes it will display a thumbnail from a totally unrelated album.  It's unpredictable.  The error is unresolvable by an end user.

Clive197

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2022, 07:58 am »
I’ve had the same issues with Manic Moose on my BR-20, which I’ve now seemed to solve.
1/ Go into settings (top left on a iPad)
2/ Go down to Bryston DB and click
3/ Scroll down to the bottom where it says Library Editor - Reset DB
4/ Click on Reset DB and wait for it to do its thing (A few seconds)
5/ click on Save

Viola thumbnails back.

Works for me, hope this works for you.

Regard from London, England

Calypte

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2022, 03:45 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion.  Resetting the DB from the Settings menu does not cure the issue that I've observed.  This reset is identical to the reset that's part of the standard rebooting process.  As before, some of the little thumbnails are there.  Many are not.  Sometimes MM inserts thumbnails from unrelated recordings.  It's a bug in MM.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2022, 05:08 pm by Calypte »