cabinet dampihgT

uolnad

cabinet dampihgT
« on: 31 Oct 2019, 09:23 pm »
To damp or not to damp? Inside of wall that has drivers mounted to it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: cabinet dampihgT
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2019, 11:04 pm »
The answer is add damping. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2019, 02:20 am »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2019, 06:12 pm »
The answer is add damping.

How do you damp the backside of the front baffle? There is very little wood area after the driver openings are cut and the backside of the woofer opening rounded over. Then there is the need to keep the foam layer of the NoRez at least 1-1/2" to 2" away from the back of the woofer.

I guess you could apply the damping layer of the NoRez to the back of the baffle before cutting the openings.

Mike

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2019, 06:48 pm »
I'd add No Rez around the tweeter area, or perhaps just vinyl floor tiles to dampen and add mass.  Agree, there's usually not enough surface around woofers to bother with. 
Essentially, all I'm saying is that as a general statement, extra damping is a good thing. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2019, 07:05 pm »
I'd add No Rez around the tweeter area, or perhaps just vinyl floor tiles to dampen and add mass.  Agree, there's usually not enough surface around woofers to bother with. 
Essentially, all I'm saying is that as a general statement, extra damping is a good thing.

I think I might try applying NoRez sans foam to the back of the baffle before cutting the openings and doing the roundover and see how it goes

Mike