What is your fitness plan or regime?

Guy 13

Re: What is your fitness plan or regime?
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jan 2015, 08:14 am »
Hi all.
My regime is:
Lots of vegetable (Soup), some fruits, plenty of water and some tea.
(And once a month a little reward for being reasonable, a few squares of dark chocolate (77% cacao).
 A regime tailored for a diabetes type 2.
Fast walking 15-20 minutes and good 10 minutes vigorous stretching
both almost every day, all week long.
7.5 hours of (Good-deep) sleep, well, I'm working on that
by trying to remove all the daily Vietnamese stress.
That's all.

Guy 13

rooze

« Reply #41 on: 5 Jan 2015, 02:31 pm »
I quit all forms of alcohol one year and 4 days ago to this day. Quitting booze triggered an unexpected craving for sugar and sweets - chocolate mostly. I've completely succumbed, I eat at least a full bar of chocolate daily, topped up with glazed donuts, muffins and at least 3 daily bowls of sugary cereal.

I eat everything I want to eat. Fortunately I've never cared much for processed foods or fast foods. I eat beef, pork, fish, bratwurst, chicken, fruit and veg along with pasta, potato and white rice, all in fairly even and balanced proportions and in fairly sensible portion sizes. I don't eat much bread as I find it gets in the way of the meat.
For supplementation I consume a jar of unpasteurized honey every two weeks, raw bee pollen, dandelion root, Green Tea powder and royal jelly. I drink around 7 or 8 cups of tea each day, usually to wash down a muffin or croque en bouche.

I eat until I'm satiated then stop. I find this involves eating smaller portions but also eating more frequently. I'm like a hobbit, I eat two breakfasts, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper and second supper....sometimes a 4th bowl of cereal before I hit the sack.

Yeah, I'm probably sick, a tapeworm or something worse.

In the year I've started this 'diet' I've slimmed down from morbidly obese to 'fat bastard'. I could do with losing the bastard part but I don't know how.

My only exercise aside from preparing all the food I eat and foraging for nuts in the yard is cycling. I rode 3500 miles on a mountain bike in 2014 and bought a Fat Tire bike to keep me riding through the winter. I have so many accidents on the bike that it's just a matter of time before I'm killed, therefore I feel any concerted effort to manage my food consumption to be unnecessary.

Go Pack.

murphy11

« Reply #42 on: 5 Jan 2015, 03:47 pm »
Congratulations - I stopped drinking 4.5 years ago and it is the single best thing I've ever done. It is VERY common to develop cravings for sweets after alcohol is removed from a person's life. I never ate deserts or sugary foods prior but now I have a major sweet tooth and I have heard the same thing from a lot of other people over the years. Halloween to New Years is especially hard because there always seems to be candy and cake around the house and everywhere I go.

Late at night (or anytime during the day) when I have an urge to eat something sweet I try to choose to make air-popped popcorn in something like this http://www.target.com/p/nordic-ware-popcorn-popper/-/A-12475561#prodSlot=medium_2_4&term=popcorn+maker Popcorn, 'I can't believe it's not butter' salt and a big glass of ice water usually fills me up between meals or before I go to bed.

We are at the beginning of a new year which can be a good time to start making modest changes that will pay off over the long run.  I lost 30 lbs in my first 2 years after making life adjustments and have been able to keep it off. Substituting alternatives to sugary foods and exercising gets easier over time just like stopping drinking - hang in there and good luck.

rooze

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jan 2015, 04:01 pm »
Congratulations - I stopped drinking 4.5 years ago and it is the single best thing I've ever done. It is VERY common to develop cravings for sweets after alcohol is removed from a person's life. I never ate deserts or sugary foods prior but now I have a major sweet tooth and I have heard the same thing from a lot of other people over the years. Halloween to New Years is especially hard because there always seems to be candy and cake around the house and everywhere I go.

Late at night (or anytime during the day) when I have an urge to eat something sweet I try to choose to make air-popped popcorn in something like this http://www.target.com/p/nordic-ware-popcorn-popper/-/A-12475561#prodSlot=medium_2_4&term=popcorn+maker Popcorn, 'I can't believe it's not butter' salt and a big glass of ice water usually fills me up between meals or before I go to bed.

We are at the beginning of a new year which can be a good time to start making modest changes that will pay off over the long run.  I lost 30 lbs in my first 2 years after making life adjustments and have been able to keep it off. Substituting alternatives to sugary foods and exercising gets easier over time just like stopping drinking - hang in there and good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I've never been a lover of popcorn but I do concede that I ought to try to replace the raw sugar I eat with something more healthy. I believe that most of us suffer from a sugar addiction, and many of us don't even know it. They put the stuff in just about everything these days; I read somewhere that even fast-food burgers contain added sugar.
I've never smoked or had any other addictions (audio gear, maybe), but I do feel that my addiction to sugar is strong and real and that it's time to do something about it.
If anyone can recommend a non-sugar laden snack, something substantial that fills a healthy appetite (like cereal, which I love!) then I'd be all over it.

Meanwhile I'll continue to pedal like a crazy person until I can find a way to cut back on my 5000+ calories per day intake.

:o :o ZE

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 5 Jan 2015, 04:22 pm »
I hate to tell you this but I guess you should know. I've been sober for 35 years now and the cravings continue. While I have long since lost any interest in alcohol, the sweet cravings continue. Lately I have taken to toasting two slices of Alvarado Street bread and smearing it with organic tahini and squeezing good local honey onto that in whatever creative pattern suits me. This is pretty filling, very clean and a safer way to deal with the problem than sugary cereals or donuts or my usual cookies, cakes and chocolates.

I think food quality needs to be seen in 2 ways. We all tend to think in hierarchical terms (good, better, best) but the quality of the food can also be viewed as the characteristics of the food.
When I studied macrobiotics years ago, we were taught about yin and yang and the way that these energetic assignments could be used to guide our food choices. For instance, meat is highly concentrated energy which exerts a constricting influence, like salt. Sugar and alcohol exert a relaxing or expansive influence. Meat and salty things create a craving for their opposite, hence in the absence of alcohol, sugar provides the counterveiling influence we crave.

Does this sound reasonable? Would you like to know more?

rooze

« Reply #45 on: 5 Jan 2015, 04:38 pm »

Does this sound reasonable? Would you like to know more?

Yes/Yes. Thanks.

I have something of a marketing background in supplementation, on the periphery of the industry. My approach was to try to create a more receptive environment for a change in lifestyle. I looked at the digestive system, the auto-immune system and at the role of metabolic function. I selected supplements which I thought might provide some benefits in these areas, and tried to work-in food items which were/are complimentary. I haven't really changed much in my diet other than moving around the pecking order of certain favored foods ('scuse the pun there).

This seems to have worked quite well since I've met my goals and targets so far. (perhaps purely coincidentally).  But the sugar addiction is something more deep-rooted and even if it isn't having an obvious affect on me (I'm still able to manage my weight), I'm convinced that it isn't healthy.

So I'll find a way to kick it before it kicks me.

RDavidson

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:09 pm »
Sugar (simple carbs) are DEFINITELY addictive. The reason for this is that the body wants the most efficient fuel to burn. When it becomes used to getting simple carbs for fuel, it will continually want them (this is the root of cravings). The ONLY way to stop the cycle is to simply not give-in to the cravings. I know I make it sound simpler than it is, but it takes about 7-10 days (depending on activity levels) for the body to "reset" and seek alternative fuel (glycogen stores, body fat, and muscle tissue). This "reset" is VERY hard. You will go through withdrawals. You'll be short tempered. You'll feel like a zombie. By about day 5, you'll begin to level out. You'll still have cravings, but you have to stay resilient (virtually zero sugars, including fruit) for 5 more days. Meanwhile switch to eating a diet high in protein, whole food carb sources, and baseline fats. If you have something sugary, reserve it for post high intensity exercise refuel. In this depleted state (post exercise) pretty much anything you eat won't be stored as fat. In fact, sugar can help your body and muscles recover more quickly. This is where the whole idea of drinking chocolate milk (post high intensity exercise) comes from. It has a nearly ideal ratio of protein to simple carbs.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but this is a fantastic article regarding diet and how to set up your caloric needs and macronutrient needs. The article is written toward active people (being on T Nation), but the info is relevant to pretty much all people.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/7_steps_to_a_flexible_diet

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #47 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:16 pm »

rooze

« Reply #48 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:42 pm »
Sugar (simple carbs) are DEFINITELY addictive. The reason for this is that the body wants the most efficient fuel to burn. When it becomes used to getting simple carbs for fuel, it will continually want them (this is the root of cravings). The ONLY way to stop the cycle is to simply not give-in to the cravings. I know I make it sound simpler than it is, but it takes about 7-10 days (depending on activity levels) for the body to "reset" and seek alternative fuel (glycogen stores, body fat, and muscle tissue). This "reset" is VERY hard. You will go through withdrawals. You'll be short tempered. You'll feel like a zombie. By about day 5, you'll begin to level out. You'll still have cravings, but you have to stay resilient (virtually zero sugars, including fruit) for 5 more days. Meanwhile switch to eating a diet high in protein, whole food carb sources, and baseline fats. If you have something sugary, reserve it for post high intensity exercise refuel. In this depleted state (post exercise) pretty much anything you eat won't be stored as fat. In fact, sugar can help your body and muscles recover more quickly. This is where the whole idea of drinking chocolate milk (post high intensity exercise) comes from. It has a nearly ideal ratio of protein to simple carbs.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but this is a fantastic article regarding diet and how to set up your caloric needs and macronutrient needs. The article is written toward active people (being on T Nation), but the info is relevant to pretty much all people.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/7_steps_to_a_flexible_diet

Thanks for the good info.

I'd add to the above by mentioning that the problem with any kind of substance addiction is two-fold. There's the chemical/biological effect of what the substance does within your system, which as you rightly say can be purged and quickly 'forgotten' at a bio level. But worse than this is the habit forming aspect of anything we become reliant upon or addicted to.

This is something which may never actually be removed. It's the thing that causes ex-smokers to suddenly crave a cigarette 5 years after they quit.

It requires a different approach - going cold turkey or any of the other common approaches to kicking an addiction do not fully rid us of something which has become habitual. Habits of this nature are generally triggered by external stimuli, the stimulus prompts us to indulge in the habit based on there being some reward. So 5 years after I quit smoking I'm in a situation where I become stressed (trigger), I crave a cigarette as it will give me a calming sensation (reward).

Sugar has the same rules. Some say it's even more addictive than nicotine and even more of an issue because it's hidden in so many products hence many of us don't even know we're addicted to it. The food industry hides it under different names so it becomes unrecognizable when we scan food labels at the store. They know it's addictive, and that's why they include it even in products where it doesn't really have any impact on flavor.

The only real way to overcome this type of addiction is to identify the triggers then substitute something that provides the same rewards.

(I kinda rushed that but hopeful it makes sense?)

RDavidson

« Reply #49 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:56 pm »
Yes, I understand perfectly, which is a large reason I said that I know I was making things sound easier than they are. There's definitely a mind of matter aspect that is going to vary greatly from person to person. Some people, genetically, maybe be more predisposed to addictions than others.

Yes, I understand the difficulty of going cold turkey. I've actually done the "reset" myself, but I have no real addictions to begin with. The key is to find something you like to eat In place of the sugary food you'd normally eat (and is filling from a macro-nutrient POV). Try A Quest bar, some nuts or peanut butter and a big glass of water. Quest bars are AWESOME. They're high in protein and fiber, have very little sugar, but taste VERY VERY much like a treat. They're also relatively low in calories (about 200 cals or less depending on flavor). I've tried pretty much all the flavors. They're all very good. Cookie Dough is probably the most popular overall. You might find yourself craving Quest bars rather than junk foods. I definitely looked forward to them when I was resetting, and still eat one as a mid-morning snack now. Every now and then, I'll have one as a late night snack. They're that good.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #50 on: 5 Jan 2015, 06:05 pm »
Thanks for the good info.

I'd add to the above by mentioning that the problem with any kind of substance addiction is two-fold. There's the chemical/biological effect of what the substance does within your system, which as you rightly say can be purged and quickly 'forgotten' at a bio level. But worse than this is the habit forming aspect of anything we become reliant upon or addicted to.

This is something which may never actually be removed. It's the thing that causes ex-smokers to suddenly crave a cigarette 5 years after they quit.

It requires a different approach - going cold turkey or any of the other common approaches to kicking an addiction do not fully rid us of something which has become habitual. Habits of this nature are generally triggered by external stimuli, the stimulus prompts us to indulge in the habit based on there being some reward. So 5 years after I quit smoking I'm in a situation where I become stressed (trigger), I crave a cigarette as it will give me a calming sensation (reward).

Sugar has the same rules. Some say it's even more addictive than nicotine and even more of an issue because it's hidden in so many products hence many of us don't even know we're addicted to it. The food industry hides it under different names so it becomes unrecognizable when we scan food labels at the store. They know it's addictive, and that's why they include it even in products where it doesn't really have any impact on flavor.

The only real way to overcome this type of addiction is to identify the triggers then substitute something that provides the same rewards.

(I kinda rushed that but hopeful it makes sense?)

Knowing what you know, why not seek out a twelve step program? Pursuit of known relief is as automatic as scratching an itch. If you are aware of your inappropriate solution, knowing your triggers, anticipating them, and having a better alternative at hand should be enough (combined with will power) to get you past your impulses.

You might even find a non-oral alternative. And it might turn out that a more complete approach to lifestyle changes solves your problem. Maybe instead of watching sports, which makes me peckish, you might choose to paint.

rooze

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jan 2015, 06:06 pm »
Yes, I understand perfectly, which is a large reason I said that I know I was making things sound easier than they are. There's definitely a mind of matter aspect that is going to vary greatly from person to person. Some people, genetically, maybe be more predisposed to addictions than others.

Yes, I understand the difficulty of going cold turkey. I've actually done the "reset" myself, but I have no real addictions to begin with. The key is to find something you like to eat In place of the sugary food you'd normally eat (and is filling from a macro-nutrient POV). Try A Quest bar, some nuts or peanut butter and a big glass of water. Quest bars are AWESOME. They're high in protein and fiber, have very little sugar, but taste VERY VERY much like a treat. They're also relatively low in calories (about 200 cals or less depending on flavor). I've tried pretty much all the flavors. They're all very good. Cookie Dough is probably the most popular overall. You might find yourself craving Quest bars rather than junk foods. I definitely looked forward to them when I was resetting, and still eat one as a mid-morning snack now. Every now and then, I'll have one as a late night snack. They're that good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look out for those at the store. I suppose at this point it's much about identifying the lesser evils, since pretty much everything we eat is under attack by one group or another...  :) (I try not to get drawn into those conversations about what's good and what isn't, as it just adds to the guilt and uncertainty and makes me crave sugar even more!).

Maybe I'll take up smoking to help kick the sugar habit  :roll:

rooze

« Reply #52 on: 5 Jan 2015, 06:11 pm »
Knowing what you know, why not seek out a twelve step program? Pursuit of known relief is as automatic as scratching an itch. If you are aware of your inappropriate solution, knowing your triggers, anticipating them, and having a better alternative at hand should be enough (combined with will power) to get you past your impulses.

You might even find a non-oral alternative. And it might turn out that a more complete approach to lifestyle changes solves your problem. Maybe instead of watching sports, which makes me peckish, you might choose to paint.

An interesting proposition, thanks.

I suppose to some extent I've allowed myself the indulgence, and allowed it to run on for as long as it has, based on having made sacrifices and additions in other areas (booze / exercise). The lesser evil as it were. But yeah, I'm ready to move on to this next step and I take on board your comments.

RDavidson

« Reply #53 on: 5 Jan 2015, 06:51 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look out for those at the store. I suppose at this point it's much about identifying the lesser evils, since pretty much everything we eat is under attack by one group or another...  :) (I try not to get drawn into those conversations about what's good and what isn't, as it just adds to the guilt and uncertainty and makes me crave sugar even more!).

Maybe I'll take up smoking to help kick the sugar habit  :roll:

Yeah, I know. EVERYTHING is going to kill us, so we better just choose to die quickly and painfully or drawn out and painfully, right? :lol: Such a pessimistic extremist POV, but some feel that way. I don't get it, but I'm not a negative, everyone / everything is out to get me, type of person either. :D

The best rule of thumb is to eat very few things that are overly processed or contain a ridiculous amount of nearly unpronounceable ingredients. Whole foods are key man.

OzarkTom

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jan 2015, 02:33 am »
For those here that worry that a red meat, high fat diet is dangerous, need to watch the movie cereal killers. You can rent or buy the movie here.

http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com/

Crereal Killers II has just been funded on Kickstarter. Some athletes have turned to a high fat diet and is setting all kinds of new records. The second movie is going to be about the athletes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/835313616/cereal-killers-2-run-on-fat

The low fat diet that the US government has promoted since the 70's has killed many of us with heart disease, diabetes, and/or cancer.

BobM

« Reply #55 on: 6 Jan 2015, 03:34 pm »
turning 50 5 years ago opened my eyes to the fact that I need to excersize regularly and actually watch what I eat. I was always a gym rat, but with raising a family it was not as regular as I would have liked. Passing a kidney stone also woke me up to the amout of water I need to consume daily.

Now I go to the gym 3 times a week, doing 20 minutes on a treadmill/elliptical, then 3/4 hour of combined weight training and stretching. The goal is not to build muscle but to keep strength and flexibility.

We always eat low fat and whole foods as much as possible. My wife is an excellent cook so we eat home cooked more than eating out. The real change for me was eating yogurt and salads for lunch at work rather than sandwiches and other processed foods, but I'm used to it now.

RDavidson

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jan 2015, 04:22 pm »
For those here that worry that a red meat, high fat diet is dangerous, need to watch the movie cereal killers. You can rent or buy the movie here.

http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com/

Crereal Killers II has just been funded on Kickstarter. Some athletes have turned to a high fat diet and is setting all kinds of new records. The second movie is going to be about the athletes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/835313616/cereal-killers-2-run-on-fat

The low fat diet that the US government has promoted since the 70's has killed many of us with heart disease, diabetes, and/or cancer.

While I also believe fats aren't "the devil" I think it is important to eat a balanced diet primarily of whole foods, including some grains (like oats). Some high protein high fat diets replace virtually all carbs with fats. These diets are rather extreme, in my personal opinion. Unless you eat tons of vegetables, you can deplete the body of important vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients important to overall health and proper organ function. Paleo diets seem to be the trend these days. Overall the basis of Paleo isn't bad, but some people are super strict with it, which I think can be problematic for the reason stated earlier. We aren't cavemen anymore. We've evolved. We can and should eat some things that cavemen didn't eat. Like anything else, balance and moderation is key. Always keep in mind your caloric needs and keep in mind we're all different. What works for one person may not work for you. Some people believe that replacing carbs with as many fats as they want means they won't get fat. While it is true that the body doesn't really process fats the same way it processes carbs, you absolutely can gain body fat from intaking too many fat calories. 1 gram of protein = 4 cals. 1 gram of carbs (not including fiber) = 4 cals. 1 gram of fat = 9 cals.

G E

« Reply #57 on: 7 May 2017, 11:14 pm »
I swim 1000 yards+ 4 days a week. Hike with the dog X1/week, walk with him twice a week.

Cut back on the beer during the week. Lots of beer on weekends

Nuts, berries, fruit cheese for lunch. No fast food for yeArs

Not much bread no more processed cereal. No more milk. Yogurt and oats and honey for breakfast

Dropped 25 pounds quick.

ctviggen

« Reply #58 on: 7 May 2017, 11:46 pm »
While I also believe fats aren't "the devil" I think it is important to eat a balanced diet primarily of whole foods, including some grains (like oats). Some high protein high fat diets replace virtually all carbs with fats. These diets are rather extreme, in my personal opinion. Unless you eat tons of vegetables, you can deplete the body of important vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients important to overall health and proper organ function. Paleo diets seem to be the trend these days. Overall the basis of Paleo isn't bad, but some people are super strict with it, which I think can be problematic for the reason stated earlier. We aren't cavemen anymore. We've evolved. We can and should eat some things that cavemen didn't eat. Like anything else, balance and moderation is key. Always keep in mind your caloric needs and keep in mind we're all different. What works for one person may not work for you. Some people believe that replacing carbs with as many fats as they want means they won't get fat. While it is true that the body doesn't really process fats the same way it processes carbs, you absolutely can gain body fat from intaking too many fat calories. 1 gram of protein = 4 cals. 1 gram of carbs (not including fiber) = 4 cals. 1 gram of fat = 9 cals.

I spent years eating very low fat, high carb.  Tons of "whole grains".  Was depressed, had mood swings, always hungry even a few minutes after eating. 

Now, I eat primarily meat and lots of fat.  No grains whatsoever.  Wheat, in particular, I believe is the spawn of Satan.  It causes me chest congestion. I believe grains are bad for you and cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies.   I eat some vegetables, but I'm eating less and less of those.  I do eat some fermented foods.  I've lost about 55 pounds doing this, although I also perform intermittent fasting (rarely eat breakfast; if I eat breakfast, I may not eat lunch; may not eat for an entire day or a few days). 

I also think that "moderation" is useless.  It's like trying to "moderate" cocaine: there's no such thing.  If I happen to eat sugar or pizza (my one downfall with wheat), I'll fast for several days to break the intense cravings that come along with eating like that. 

I've gone from biking a ton, then working out 4 days per week to 3 then 2 then 1.  Now, I do Body by Science one day per week, about 12 minutes of super intense weights.  That's it.  I don't see a reason to do more and think long distance biking likely causes or exacerbates heart arrhythmia.

charmerci

« Reply #59 on: 8 May 2017, 12:22 am »
New research shows that a 30 minute walk, 5 days a week gives you the same long term health benefits of more strenuous exercise.