Could Magnepans be considered Line arrays?

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Could Magnepans be considered Line arrays?
« on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:02 am »
being tall and with diaphrams from top to bottom?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Could Magnepans be considered Line arrays?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2019, 12:20 pm »
Yes, but "real" vertical line arrays extend nearly from floor to ceiling to develop the full line array effect (2D projection of sound).  But of course they're also dipoles.   

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:08 pm »
My Magnepan 20.7 frames are nearly floor to ceiling. The actual drivers are a bit shorter, and at least a foot off the floor..

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2019, 09:26 pm »
I think this fits the bill a bit more:
https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/amazing-line-source

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:42 pm »
Ditto:

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:55 pm »
Love that pic!!!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:12 am »
Hi Jazzman, how do you compare the sound of this new Amazing to the old one piece Amazing ribbon from 1992?

Jazzman53

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:09 am »
Love that pic!!!!

That pic was taken in Bob's cabin at Carverfest 2015.  And Bob sold them there to my friend Jerry from Atlanta.

Jazzman53

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:51 am »
Hi Jazzman, how do you compare the sound of this new Amazing to the old one piece Amazing ribbon from 1992?

I still think the older ribbons are better balanced, as matched with their dipole woofers, and easier to dial in, but they can't match the shear POWER of the new towers, which Bob says can play crystal clear to 128 decibels.  At Carverfest they were driven by a pair of Raven 350 tube mono-blocks, with a single Subrosa supplying the bass.  I think they might have sounded even better matched to a pair of subs crossing in a bit higher. 

Aside from their awesome headroom, what strikes me the most about the towers are their immersive depth and excellent imaging over such a wide space (typically, pinpoint imaging comes at the expense of a narrow and pronounced sweet spot-- not so with the towers).  If they have a weakness, it's the 13 forward firing ribbons can overpower the 22 side-firing 3-inch mid bass woofers at higher volumes (tuning them to my taste required pulling down the ribbons considerably-- I think Bob's even more treble deaf than me). 

They really can play at live level volume. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2019, 04:55 pm »
Thanks Bro, thats a interesting speaker, too bad Bob choose not revitalize the original 48'' ribbon.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2019, 05:37 pm »
I just looked all over Bob's site and I couldn't find anything about Where To Buy his products.
I did see they're $18,495/pair with the sub. 

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2019, 07:31 pm »
Here you go steve.....

Hope all is well bud.

https://jimclarkstereo.com/

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:33 pm »
being tall and with diaphrams from top to bottom?
Cool, an opportunity to be pedantic!

They're line *sources* but not line *arrays.* A line array would require multiple drivers, like the ALS or the Scaenas.

Acoustically, you can think of a line source as a line array with an infinite number of infinitely small drivers.

To an approximation, once you have about two drivers per wavelength of the highest frequency reproduced, an array will act like a continuous source, so they're acoustically very similar. (I say approximately because it's mathematically equivalent to listening to digital audio without a reconstruction filter.)

Anyway, an ideal line source would be a pulsating cylinder of infinitely small diameter. (So how would it pulsate if it were infinitely small? Beats me. I suppose it would have to pulsate with infinite acceleration. That way, it would only have to expand an infinitely small distance.) Since this can't be done in practice, a narrow driver or drivers are used, smaller than the highest wavelength reproduced for good dispersion.

Practical speakers also require some kind of crossover. A Maggie, for example, consists of 2 or 3 or (in the case of the 30.7) line sources next to one another, each handling a frequency band. The ALS has a central tweeter line, midranges on the sides (which join acoustically to make a single line) and a point source subwoofer.

An ideal line source is also of infinite length. In practice, that's hard to achieve, but nature provides a nice trick, which is that if you run a line source all the way from the floor to the ceiling, the floor and ceiling reflections make it behave acoustically like an infinite line. (Actually, losses limit that to a line of maybe 2-1/2 times the physical height, but "infinite" sounds cooler.) Shorter line sources sacrifice some power response because they don't run floor to ceiling.