An ahaa! moment, do you have one??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
An ahaa! moment, do you have one??
« on: 21 May 2010, 12:16 am »
So I'm playing with the settings on my Sony AV receiver and I find buried in one category a setting that I had been letting the receiver auto-calibrate figuring it would "know". Speaker size and crossover settings..when Large is selected under speaker size(auto-calibrate's setting choice) you cannot set crossover points, if small is chosen all bets are off!
 Aha!!-I set all speakers to small and set up crossover freqs. for front, back and center (80hz per an article I read on Audioholics) and boom a whole new sound, more detail, more depth, "more better"!!
 Do you have an aha! moment you'd like to share because I bet there is someone new here as I am that might benefit!!! :thumb: :thumb:

K Shep

Re: An ahaa! moment, do you have one??
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2010, 01:12 am »
Speaker placement...each pair of speakers I have brought into my listening room I've had to adjust and move, with assistance the first few times.  When I find the correct position and the sound stage is centered using a demo track and its snaps into place...aha!

This is basic but IMO all of us need to learn how to place our speakers.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2010, 01:39 pm »
There have been a few ear opening events for me.
* When I first put a Rega Planar 2 into my system and heard how good vinyl could sound.  I have had a turntable for years but the difference between my prior very good Pioneer from the 70's and a true high end table and cartridge was dramatic.

* When I actually got around to hanging a tapestry on a bare wall and heard the effects of room treatments.  Well worth the time to experiment with.

* Although my center channel was the same brand as mains it was a lower series.  I eventually bought the matching center for my mains.  The realization of how important it is to have all three front speakers match for 5 channel movies or music.  There's a coherency that's hard to describe when all match unless you experience for yourself.  I'm amazed at how many people still have mismatched speakers in a surround set up and claim it doesn't matter.  Either they just don't care or never heard what matched speakers sound like.

* I realize results vary and not all ranges of gear may benefit, however, I had a Krell set up at the time I first tried an aftermarket power cord.  Fully believing I wouldn't notice any difference I placed it in my system any way to see what happens.  I was given a loaner to play with.  After hearing the results with just the CD player I began rotating the power cord around my system.  I went back and bought enough cords to replace all of mine that would allow the upgrade.  It was one of those things you don't realize you are hearing until it's gone.  I can only describe the difference as making the background between instruments more quiet or darker allowing detail to become easier to hear or notice.  The largest improvement was noticed in my phono preamp and CD player.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2010, 01:46 pm »
A JVC Direct Drive turntable and a Grado cartridge.  Music finally sounded real.

(took some time and tinkering, but the front end basics were mostly set with that combo)

John