• Volunteer
Thank you Wayne!! Brilliant work!!!!
« on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:12 pm »
I will try to make this brief.
My system is a little complicated.
Speakers: Apogee Duetta Signatures.
Power Amps:  4 (yes,4) Odyssey Audio Stratos Monos
Pre:  Mapletree
I had done some minor surgery to my Apogees, by disconnecting the internal crossover.  I felt that the crossover was sucking up a lot of energy and that introducing an external crossover would be better.  This way it would allow the power and finesse of the Odysseys to shine through, as they would be be connected directly to the Apogees sans Xover.
Last year I purchased a Marchand XM44 external crossver:
http://www.marchandelec.com/xm44.html
I asked Mr Marchand to build the Power supply into a separate chassis to isolate the power from the rest of the elctronics.  He was reluctant to do so, but he did it anyways.  He told me it would make no sonic difference.  Perhaps; but it was my money!
I lived with this crossover for over a year, and the sound was definitely better than before.  But then Audio paranoia set in - could the system get any better. I knew that Mr Marchand is not a great believer in upgraded parts so I started thinking who could modify the 2 chassis for me.
I met Wayne last year at RMAF.  His room impressed me.  He is on the cutting edge of electronics as witnessed by his mastery of the Squeezebox mods.  He seems to be the antithesis of the old-world engineer, willing to try things that others simply negate. Oh, and by the way, he's a treat to work with - a really great guy!!
So, I sent the units to Wayne and told him he had free reign to explore the Xover.
Well, what can I tell you - from the moment the Marchand units returned and I connected everything, I have been in Audio Heaven. 
What a difference!
The system now has POWER as it never had before.  Music flows much more effortlessly.  Smooth as silk.  Had the late Jason Bloom, the designer of Apogee still been alive, I would have invited him to my home to hear the system. This is undoubtedly how the Apogees were intended to sound!!
I have heard differences in other gear that I have had modded, but NOT LIKE THIS!!
Audio engineers that I have met (mostly older guys) have told me that part selction in audio design in virtually meaningless.  I will not mention names.  A cap is a cap, a resistor is a reisitor.  "You want to waste your money - go buy a ceramic fuse (chuckle, chuckle)".  NONSENSE!!- I invite any of them to listen to my system.
Wayne did not change the actual Xover circuitry in the Marchand unit per se, but he employed his very clever design and parts selection for the power supply and changed the parts for the rest of the unit with totally upgraded parts.
He removed all the ICs that weren't used to allow more current to flow to the ICs that are used.  I assume this is one of big reasons why I am feeling so much more power in the music.
A complete overhaul and rebuild of the Xover and Power supply.
Wayne - thanks so much!  You have perefectd my system!!!!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Thank you Wayne!! Brilliant work!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
Spirit,

Congrats on your modified Marchand. Parts quality do count although I think topology counts even more. But once you've got the design/topology down, then parts can take a great unit to an unbelievable one.

Too bad Mr. Marchand probably doesn't own Apogee Duetta's as he will deny if there ever was a difference. But its YOUR system so have it YOUR way.

Thanks for the feedback on Wayne's work, he did a nice job with my modified Squeezebox as well.

Best,
Anand.

kyrill

Re: Thank you Wayne!! Brilliant work!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2008, 04:01 pm »
Ah i love this

I feel in heaven when a "mod" makes me this happy and almost ( ehh but only almost)  in heaven when this happens to another .

Good for Wayne and you ( it works both ways, you know ; )