RMAF 2008

Wayne1

RMAF 2008
« on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:32 pm »
BOLDER Cable will be in room 1004 this year at RMAF.

It is just across the hall from where we were the last couple of years.

Right next door to us will be Mike Garner of TweekGeek.com

I will hopefully be featuring a SqueezeBox Re-Box

This is my latest all out assault on modding the SB3.

It will have all my latest ideas on the Ultimate Power Supply, but it will be contained within the same case as the SB3.

It will use an Aspen Audio designed Nirvana regulator for the analog section AND and a Paul Hynes shunt supply for the digital section.

A HagClock will be used and the analog output section will be transformer coupled and use a tube. :o

Mike Galusha's mods to the DCX2496 will also be featured. He has not made many of these, but I believe the one used here will have the latest updates. It will have Jan Didden's active output board and it will be used as a pre-amp.

I will be once again using Bill O'Connell's Eastern Electric M156 tube mono-block amps. This time they will be used to drive the mids and tweeters. The low end will be powered by a Chinese built Mark Levinson clone.

I will be using a new design of speaker cable that I will be introducing at the show. All interconnects will be balanced Nitro. There will also be some new AC power cables.

This year the speakers will be VMPS 626R SDE. These WILL be actively bi-amped. I just sent the modded DCX unit out to Brian for programming.

I had originally planned to show with Hugh Dean of Aspen Audio. The down turn of the economy made it impossible for him or his products to attend this year.

Right next door in 1006, Mike Garner will be showing the SP Tech Revelation MR-1 MKIII. These will be powered by a pair of mono-block Spectron Musician SE MK2.

A BOLDER modded DUET and power supply will be featured in this system.

In both rooms, room treatments will be provided by GIK Acoustics.

Mike Galusha will be manning one of the rooms while recovering from foot surgery.

Please stop by to say hello and take a listen.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: RMAF 2008
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:45 pm »
Wow! Both should be excellent rooms. Kudos on going with GIK Acoustics and treating the rooms! That's the first step to high end bliss.

I love the fact that you are venturing into the world of transformer coupled tube audio for the analog output stage on the SB3 rebox. This is exactly what I am planning except it will be in a separate enclosure with its own remote volume control.

Why did you use an Aspen Nirvana regulator for the analog output section and then the Paul Hynes unit on the digital? Why not the same regulator types for both sections. I figure you listened to each one and made your choice.

Great work Wayne :thumb:

Anand.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:47 pm »
Mike Galusha's mods to the DCX2496 will also be featured. He has not made many of these, but I believe the one used here will have the latest updates. It will have Jan Didden's active output board and it will be used as a pre-amp.

Thanks Wayne, I had no idea you were going to mention this.  8)

For those who are interested in building one for themselves, here are the details.

It has the following updates in addition to the Jan Didden/Linear Audio analog board

New input receiver/sample rate converter/clock designed by Frank Oettle in Germany. This has a 2.6ps jitter master clock that allows synchronous operation of all parts of the DCX. It also contains two on board low noise regulators.

Two low noise regulators also designed by Frank Oettle, one feeds the analog section of the DAC chips and the other the digital section of the A/D converter.

AKM AK4395 DAC chips with the digital section fed by a dedicated 5v low noise regulator.

Felix style power input filter and additional LC filtering between the power supply and the digital board.

AES/EBU digital input path (XLR/relay/ribbon cables) replaced with 75 ohm coax and 75ohm precision resistor replaces 110ohm at input transformer.

Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2008, 11:20 pm »
Not to hijack the thread, but Mike's work on my DCX was outstanding!!

What I have is pretty much the exact same thing Wayne will be using at RMAF (outside of special little tweak that was done to mine - sorry Wayne).

I would bet that the highly modified DCX would hold its own against many excellent pre-amps out there and the dac section is pretty darn good too.

Have a blast Wayne and I'll see you in 2009.

George

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2008, 02:23 am »
Anand,

The Nirvana supply is a bit more dynamic. The feed forward circuit does improve the analog sound. The Hynes regulator keeps voltage more constant in the digital section.

The different designs do change the sound of the circuit they are used in.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a generic regulator design that will sound the same in all circuits.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:34 pm »
Wayne:

Just want to say that your Statement Squeezebox we used in our main room at the show sounded wonderful. You do excellent work!  Sometime in the coming year I plan to have you do a unit or two for my personal systems.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:35 pm »
Here are some pictures of the room from Audio Federation