Duet Mods

jr1414

Re: Duet Mods
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2008, 10:47 am »
Wayne,

Thanks for your reply.  That's the most reasonable argument for Coaxial over Optical I've read yet.  You've convinced me back to my original thinking. 

I've recently picked up a Duet (which I plan to send off to you after learning the unit a bit) and I'm going to compare it for optical vs. coax vs. analog anyway.  I've learned that sound is a very subjective thing, so better to do a comparison for yourself.  I'll take notes and I'll compare the pre-post mod observations as well.

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced linear power supply (9v) to do some evaluations against the stock power supply as well.  I'm not quite ready to step up to your Basic supply, but I'm sure my curiosity will drive me to one of your supplies as well.  Would love to go the Nirvana route when it's available, but that's another story entirely.  Unless I'm truly satisfied somewhere along the way (hasn't happened yet with anything I've ever owned).

Wally King

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2008, 12:46 pm »
Hi Wayne.

Warning! Possible dumb question:

I just purchased a Duet a couple of weeks ago.  Right now I'm running it to the DAC inside a Cambridge 840c.

Since I'm using an external DAC, will adding one of your power supplies be useful?  Or any of the mods?

Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2008, 01:04 pm »
Hi Wayne.

Warning! Possible dumb question:

I just purchased a Duet a couple of weeks ago.  Right now I'm running it to the DAC inside a Cambridge 840c.

Since I'm using an external DAC, will adding one of your power supplies be useful?  Or any of the mods?

Thanks.

Improving the power supply of the Duet should yield the same outstanding results as on the Squeeze Box.  You will want to make the power supply as good as possible, as well as improve the digital output section that connects to your DAC.

I did this exact thing with a SB2 for well over a year before making a system change and going with Wayne's full blown analog mods for the past year and half.

If you look in Wayne's Circle, you will see testimonial after testimonial about the improvements that Wayne's mods provide.

Well worth every penny and highly recommended.

George
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2008, 03:10 pm by zybar »

Wayne1

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2008, 02:58 pm »
jr1414 & Wally King,

I have found that with the DUET system, the power supply has a MAJOR influence on the sound of your system.

Think about it for a moment. The output, either digital or analog, all starts with the power supply. If there is any low level noise or RF riding on the voltage coming from the supply, it will pollute everything connected to it. That includes the digital waveform.

Using the Standard linear supply will clean up the high and remove quite a lot of grit and grunge. All who have heard a comparison, remark that all of a sudden there is bass with the linear supply why it was very lacking with the stock supply. This happens with both analog and digital.

Dusty from Channel Island has sent me one of his Duet supplies. I will try it out over the weekend to see how it compares to one of mine. His is about $150.00 less expensive.

baumer

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2008, 03:41 pm »
I bought one of the linear power supplies for my Duet that Wayne first made available. I have approx.
600+ hours on it now. At first there didn't seem to be much of a difference in sound quality. It seemed
that the highs were less harsh and the bass was a bit tighter.

Around the 300-350 hour point, i noticed a dramatic difference in bass. With the regular power supply
the bass seemed quite boomy, but using Wayne's linear supply tightened everything right up. I can't emphasize enough how much of a change it made. There was also a difference in, for lack of a better word, "graininess". There is less noise and harshness than before. I imagine this is what some would call a "blacker background".

I have since connected a AVA OmegaStar DAC to my system. The DAC has also made some terrific changes
in my system, but this may not be the place to talk about it.

The linear PS definitely gets me a little closer to the sound i want. For me it was a worthwhile buy.

Next up, the Digital mods...

Doug.

Wally King

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2008, 06:02 pm »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback; food for thought.

Wally King

tyree91

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jun 2008, 08:13 am »
First off, what you are asking about is TosLink, not fiber optic. The two are quite a bit different. TosLink was developed by Toshiba

TosLink actually has a narrower bandwidth (6 Mhz) than coax (500 Mhz). The aperture of the laser in TosLink is wider than most fiber optic systems, resulting in the narrow bandwidth. The optical output is quite a bit lower than fiber optic systems, thus making it a poor choice for really long distances. TosLink Signal cables are usually limited to 5 meters in length, with a maximum length of 10 meters, for reliable transmission unless using a signal booster. Depending on the actual material used to carry the optical signal, there may be large amounts of reflections in certain lengths.

There is no real set standard for the construction of TosLink cables. TosLink may use inexpensive 1 mm plastic optical fiber or it can use higher quality multi-strand plastic optical fibers or even quartz glass optical fibers depending on the desired bandwidth and application.

In the real world, there are no 1's and 0's. There is an analog waveform changing from high to low. Usually this will equal 3.3 volts for high and 0 for low. If there is noise on the low end or any delay on reaching the high side, the signal will not be correct. The actual TosLink transmitter and receiver modules used in the SB and most inexpensive home audio units are rather noisy.

I have also found the mechanical connection of TosLink to be vastly inferior to coax. I do use TosLink from my cable converter to my HT receiver. The connection has broken and will not hold the cable correctly. I have never had that happen with an RCA or BNC connector.

(Note: I did pull some of this info off of Wikipedia)

Wayne is absolutely correct, Toslink is an inferior interface.  It was a quick fix development of Toshiba's to produce a low cost plastic cable interface for DVD, satellite, and cable.  Optical can be very good, but it must be Glass as in AT&T's optical glass interface or Theta Digital's Single Mode Laser Link.  These two methods of transferring digital audio were very good, particularly when video was being sent simultaneously.  These interfaces are not seen much anymore except for a few high end CD transports.  Firewire is also used on some high end combos like the DCS Stack with master clock.  Otherwise about the best interface available is SPDIF Coaxial or AES/EBU.  With the Slimdevices products there's no doubt that Coax is the superior interface , with the exception of the Transporter which has AES/EBU and BNC which are also very effective.  Don't even consider the Toslink output if you want the best SQ.  You should however use a good Coax cable with SPDIF.  Regards, Norm

mr_bill

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:57 am »
jr1414 & Wally King,

I have found that with the DUET system, the power supply has a MAJOR influence on the sound of your system.

Think about it for a moment. The output, either digital or analog, all starts with the power supply. If there is any low level noise or RF riding on the voltage coming from the supply, it will pollute everything connected to it. That includes the digital waveform.

Using the Standard linear supply will clean up the high and remove quite a lot of grit and grunge. All who have heard a comparison, remark that all of a sudden there is bass with the linear supply why it was very lacking with the stock supply. This happens with both analog and digital.

Dusty from Channel Island has sent me one of his Duet supplies. I will try it out over the weekend to see how it compares to one of mine. His is about $150.00 less expensive.

Wayne,
Any updates on how Channel Island's power supply for the Duet works?
Am I correct in saying that the only power supply you have for the Duet is your linear supply for $475?  No lower priced alternatives like for the SB3?
I see that the Duet is 9V versus the SB3 at 5v.

Wayne1

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2008, 02:01 am »
I took a quick listen to the CIA PS today in comparison to the "Standard" BOLDER 9 volt PS.

The "Standard" was just built. 0 hours. The CIA was right out of the box. 0 hours. The DUET was brand new and freshly modded.

Both were plugged into my Equi-Tech balanced power conditioner. Nitro AC cable used on both.

The CIA is better than the stock PS without question. It did not sound as good as the "Standard".

Both had far cleaner highs and deeper, tighter bass than the stock PS. The "Standard", to me on this system just was more natural sounding.

With the DUET system, the power supply will have an even bigger effect on the sound then the SB3. Get the best PS you can afford. I would say, if you are considering mods and the PS, get a lower level mod and a better PS. It will be worth it.

I did build an Ultimate level PS for a DUET for a customer. I also made a SUMMIT level DC cable for the DUET. There was quite an improvement with the DC cable. More than I expected. The Ultimate also was quite nice. Hopefully the customer will keep us informed as it breaks in.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jun 2008, 04:08 am »
With the DUET system, the power supply will have an even bigger effect on the sound then the SB3. Get the best PS you can afford. I would say, if you are considering mods and the PS, get a lower level mod and a better PS. It will be worth it.

Thank you. That actually means something. Nice preliminary review. I look forward to your forthcoming commentary.

Jerry

tyree91

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2008, 04:17 am »
I took a quick listen to the CIA PS today in comparison to the "Standard" BOLDER 9 volt PS.

The "Standard" was just built. 0 hours. The CIA was right out of the box. 0 hours. The DUET was brand new and freshly modded.

Both were plugged into my Equi-Tech balanced power conditioner. Nitro AC cable used on both.

The CIA is better than the stock PS without question. It did not sound as good as the "Standard".

Both had far cleaner highs and deeper, tighter bass than the stock PS. The "Standard", to me on this system just was more natural sounding.

I did build an Ultimate level PS for a DUET for a customer. I also made a SUMMIT level DC cable for the DUET. There was quite an improvement with the DC cable. More than I expected. The Ultimate also was quite nice. Hopefully the customer will keep us informed as it breaks in.

We're breaking in the Duet Digital Mod with Wayne's Ultimate PS, Summit DC Cable and Nitro AC.  We've got about 125 hrs. on it now, and it's just beginning to open up.  In its new condition it was somewhat conjested with a bit of edge in the upper mids & highs.  Now it's starting to give a very nice open & deep soundstage with a holographic image in the center.  The bass is getting tighter and more powerful.  Overall dynamics are beginning to rival my CD player as well as my Turntable.  We just did an AB of Chuck Mangione's Land of Make Believe on the TT and through the Duet, and the results were very encouraging.  Also it's so much easier to cue music with the Duet than a Turntable.  I'm really looking forward to improvements to continue as the caps break in further.  I'll keep you posted.  Regards, Norm
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2008, 07:39 am by tyree91 »

kyrill

« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2008, 04:11 pm »
 I'll keep you posted.  Regards, Norm

Ok Norm how is it now?

tyree91

« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2008, 06:29 am »
I'll keep you posted.  Regards, Norm

Ok Norm how is it now?
It's so good, my CD collection is in a cabinet in another room.  I've got the Bolder power supply & Duet sitting on a Symposium Svelte Shelf with an Audioquest Eagle Eye connecting the Duet to my Theta Digital Casablanca III with Extreme DA cards.  What really shines is the bottom and the width of the image.  The Duet images well outside the speakers.   I listen to music primarily in 2 channel and the system images amazingly. Try Joni Mitchell "At Last from Both Sides Now or Dianna Krall "I've Got You Under My Skin" from Live In Paris, the vocal just floats holographically.  What can I say, Bravo Wayne.  Regards, Norm