Anyone had a chance to compare the old Assemblage 2.6 to Spoiler?

Sasha

I borrowed Assemblage 2.6 from a friend of mine and really liked what I heard.
I am trying to figure out why.
Assemblage I believe uses DF1704/PCM1704 and does oversamping with slow rolloff filter, so there is a similarity to Spoiler, based on what I read on Steve’s web site, and I am wondering if that was the key to what I liked.
Assemblage was not perfect in every aspect. What I liked was the best tonality of acoustic instruments I have heard, as well as the pace, no irritating glassy tonality and disconnect in rhythm of instruments I hear from other DACs/players, for example Esoteric DV50 player or Musical Fidelity DACs.
What was not the best was definition in LF, dynamics, and confusion with complex music (as if some additional tones were generated).
If anyone heard both, how do they compare?

audioengr

I borrowed Assemblage 2.6 from a friend of mine and really liked what I heard.
I am trying to figure out why.
Assemblage I believe uses DF1704/PCM1704 and does oversamping with slow rolloff filter, so there is a similarity to Spoiler, based on what I read on Steve’s web site, and I am wondering if that was the key to what I liked.
Assemblage was not perfect in every aspect. What I liked was the best tonality of acoustic instruments I have heard, as well as the pace, no irritating glassy tonality and disconnect in rhythm of instruments I hear from other DACs/players, for example Esoteric DV50 player or Musical Fidelity DACs.
What was not the best was definition in LF, dynamics, and confusion with complex music (as if some additional tones were generated).
If anyone heard both, how do they compare?

I recently modded an Assemblage for a customer, so I heard both.  The Assemblage has many of the traits of the Spoiler.  I think the Spoiler has the best bass of any DAC though, and it is very 3-D due to the tubes.

Steve N.