<$3K Pre/Pro...any recommendations?

PhilNYC

« on: 29 Mar 2005, 10:24 pm »
I am looking into replacing my AV receiver with a pre/pro+amp setup.  Have budgeted about $3K for the pre/pro (new).  My main requirement is that it have component video switching for at least 2 (and preferrably 3) component video sources.  And of course, it should sound excellent...! (I'll be using Blue Circle amplification, which tends to the warmer side)...

Any recommendations?

jasonc

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2005, 10:40 pm »
The Arcam FMJ AV8 is worth looking at if you can get one at a discount.
http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_fmj_AV8_intro.cfm

Also, happens to be one up for auction right now at agon--
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?homeproc&1112237762

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2005, 04:03 pm »
Is your configuration 5.1 or 7.1?

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2005, 04:42 pm »
Actually, I'm only 2.0 right now (my current receiver is a 7.1 Denon 3801, but I'm only using 2 channels)...but I'm giving my receiver to my dad as an excuse to upgrade the sound for my TV viewing.  In all honestly, I will likely never do anything more than a 5.1 system just because surround for movies just isn't that important to me for the majority of movies that I like to watch...

I've gathered a few recommendations including units from:

Anthem
Rotel
Parasound
Adcom
Sherwood Newcastle
B&K
Emotiva
Cary

...and Arcam, although beyond my price range.

Any thoughts on these?

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2005, 04:46 pm »
I have owned Parasound, Krell, B&K and within those brands I had the top of the line model.

The Krell was the most flexible but I would have to recommend a Denon 3805 receiver as the best for under $3k. Some of the die hard HT guys may disagree but as you know I have all BC gear and love my 3805.

I run the preouts to my BC3000MKII processor loop and use the 3805 amp for my rears. Since I am only using 2 of the 7 channels there is not strain on the power supply.

I also like the tuner in the Denon. It is nice for background music when walking around the house.

You know what I think of the Denon as a preamp  :wink:

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2005, 08:03 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks.  However, maybe it's a psychological thing, but I've currently got the Denon AV3801, and as a pre/pro I've been pretty disappointed with its sonics.  I know the 3805 has made a lot of improvements, but I kind of feel like I want to get out of the Denon thing.  You know how upgrading can be...  :mrgreen:

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2005, 08:09 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks. However, maybe it's a psychological thing, but I've currently got the Denon AV3801, and as a pre/pro I've been pretty disappointed with its sonics. I know the 3805 has made a lot of improvements, but I kind of feel like I want to get out of the Denon thing. You know how upgrading can be...

I understand. Maybe you can get a deal on an Anthem AVM30 or one of their Statement pre pros?

If I cared that much about HT I would check them out  :lol:

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2005, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Bryan,

Thanks.  However, maybe it's a psychological thing, but I've currently got the Denon AV3801, and as a pre/pro I've been pretty disappointed with its sonics.  I know the 3805 has made a lot of improvements, but I kind of feel like I want to get out of the Denon thing.  You know how upgrading can be...  :mrgreen:

How about this - to me this is the one im getting

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/arcam_diva_avr300.htm
and
http://www.iar-80.com/page130.html (from widescreen review)

Thanks,
smargo

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2005, 08:48 pm »
Although it's kinda hard to find, the Fosgate-Audionics FAPT1+ is absolutely brilliant sonically.  Incredible S/N ratio, very clean, clear, precise, but not bright.   It's truly one of the best I've heard and it would rival or beat most anything over $5K.  They really put most of the energy into the sound of it, not the features.  It sounds as good as the Meridians to me, though not as sophisticated in its capabilities.  Clearly better than the NADs, B&Ks, Parasounds, Krells, etc I've heard.  Obviously so.

arthurs

What did you end up with?
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2005, 10:12 pm »
Curious what you ever ended up getting.

PhilNYC

Re: What did you end up with?
« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2005, 02:14 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
Curious what you ever ended up getting.

Actually, things got pretty busy, so I haven't actually bought anything yet.  Am leaning towards the Anthem AVM30, but some folks are making a pretty strong case towards one of the Arcam receivers, saying that the pre/pro section is awesome, and having the amp section available to drive center/rears is a bonus...

jcoat007

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2005, 04:03 pm »
Quote from: John Ashman
Although it's kinda hard to find, the Fosgate-Audionics FAPT1+ is absolutely brilliant sonically.  Incredible S/N ratio, very clean, clear, precise, but not bright.   It's truly one of the best I've heard and it would rival or beat most anything over $5K.  They really put most of the energy into the sound of it, not the features.  It sounds as good as the Meridians to me, though not as sophisticated in its capabilities.  Clearly better than the NADs, B&Ks, Parasounds, Krells, etc I've heard.  Obviously so.

AA has a demo unit right now for just under your target price:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=DMFOSFAPT1

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2005, 04:28 pm »
Phil,

One thing to note, Zektor makes a component video switch that is really good and can be controlled remotely.  Its $400 for the HDS4.2 that has two component outputs and $300 for the HDS4.1 (i own) with just one set.  Both have 4 sets of inputs and it also does digital switching and format conversion (optical <-> coax).   Maybe this might open up more possibilites in terms of pre/pro/receivers.  Some say that video and digital switching should be seperate for best results.  Use the Zektor for video and the pre/pro for digital.

Levi

processor
« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2005, 05:08 pm »
Hi Phil,

I was going to recommend a very wife & kids friendly Bryston SP1.7 DTS, DOLBY, THX ultra2 processor.  It does not have a built-in Video Switcher and it is not in your target budget of $3K.  The Bryston SP1.7 will run for @$6,295(CAN) and the Bryston SPV-1 video switcher for @$2,695 (CAN) retail.  Yes they are Made in Canada like the BC but with 20 year warranty (transferable) :mrgreen:   I figured to throw that in as a choice.

I also auditioned the Lexicon MC12 w/matching amp LX7 and it is also top notch performer.  

Our friend Richard "BugleBoy" is using a Belcanto with Lexicon RT10 DVD player.

My parents have the Krell Theater Standard 7.1 combo and they are extremely happy with it.  

If you are not going deep into HT and 5.1 or 7.1 speakers, I would probably get an Anthem, Rotel, or an Outlaw Audio processor.  The arcam that I have auditioned are terrible.

Just my 2cents.

There are lots of processor out so have fun in picking and auditioning them. :D

Levi

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2005, 05:20 pm »
E500- word up?

Michael

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2005, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
E500- word up?

Michael

Hello Michael.  

Just to keep things clear, I am not going to get rid of my Bryston processor combo.  :D

Levi