New Omega owner

Fender Rob

New Omega owner
« on: 16 Oct 2021, 12:29 am »
Hello,
Just joined this group having purchased a beautiful pair of Omega Super 3i monitors in walnut. Gorgeous.
Probably have about 125-150 hours on them and they’re loosening up.
Really enjoying aspects of their sound, and on many tracks things have never sounded better.
I feel like they are still a touch forward to my ears, so maybe someone has further comments on break in?
At any rate, Louis is an amazing designer and owner…I have a story that I might offer up at a later date. But suffice it to say, he made my purchase happen when it was in doubt based on a dealer in the middle.
Thanks again Louis!
Back to listening…
Thx, Rob (in Canada)

richidoo

Re: New Omega owner
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2021, 01:34 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Rob!

I see you dislike jazz just as much as me...  ;)  :D

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm »
welcome to the fam. not quite there at 150 - they are an exercise in patience. the bloom will fill in nicely over the next three months.

Fender Rob

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2021, 03:50 pm »
Appreciate the welcome and thoughts on break in… easier to be patient.
Thx

Dako

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2021, 01:08 am »
Congrats Rob. Yes patience is a must with these speakers but it is well worth the wait. It seemed like an eternity for mine to hit that sweet sound. But when it did,all I could say was sweet Jesus, I’m in heaven.

Keep us posted on their progress.

Also, Louis is fantastic. I enjoyed talking to him every time we spoke during both of my speaker builds.

Dave

Fender Rob

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2021, 03:08 am »
Thx Dako,
Really appreciate the encouragement!
I expect to add a mini review once they’ve fully settled in… sounds like another 2-3 months.
That’s ok, I’m enjoying them along the way…
Cheers, R

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2021, 05:28 am »
Get a sub (or two) to pair with them. I LOVE the Omega 3 series speakers. I've owned both the 3XRS and the 3HO monitors. I've owned CAMs for years and listen to them daily. The only thing the 3's lack is some weight. They do everything else MARVELOUSLY. Talk to Louis about sub pairing when you're ready. Can't go wrong.

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2021, 09:53 am »
I agree with Rdavison.  The rs5 with a sub is as good as anything that Louis makes.

Fender Rob

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2021, 11:40 am »
Thx again guys, love the responses…really appreciate it!
Now, my bad, as I should have mentioned that I am running them with a REL T-Zero sub, which I love. REL’s just seem to blend naturally with any monitors I’ve used them with. So the bass overall is getting sweet. My only concern is that older rock can sound a little thin. (Yes, I still have my share of those CD’s, and listen to them as needed). Seems like the 3i’s are very revealing, so that good recordings sound amazing, but less good are shown up. Can’t knock them for that. Am I right? 
Or, maybe as suggested here, some of the bloom will fill out and the peak I hear in the upper middle will dissipate.
But again, I’m real happy with how my better recordings are sounding (that’s most of my collection)…as good as I’ve ever heard, and I’ve owned many small speakers in the past (some examples: Spica tc 50’s, KEF ls50’s, ref 3a Dulcets, Spendor 3/5 R2’s, etc). These Omegas are doing the things I hoped for when I ordered them after reading all I could about single driver systems…mostly from these threads. Definitely a class act.
The listening adventure continues…
cheers

seikosha

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2021, 12:12 pm »
Unfortunately something I’ve learned over the years having two listening rooms and more gear than I’d care to admit is that you will inevitably find that some music will sound better with one setup over another.  I might have one album that sounds spectacular in one room, but play it in another and it can be “meh”.  Im not sure that there is such thing as one system being able to do it all and make every bit of music sound spectacular and at the end of the day, there are a ton of CDs out there that simply aren’t well recorded.

I hate to say it, but older classic rock CDs are probably best played on a less revealing warmer speakers.  I suppose you could play with upping the crossover settings which may help.  If imaging and soundstaging aren’t high on your priorities, you could also play around with pushing the speakers back and to the corners, but that can introduce other issues.  Good room treatment can also warm up the sound as well.

jmolsberg

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2021, 12:36 pm »
you're right. can't knock them for being authentic to the recordings. Doors albums will sound lean w Omegas but they have never sounded more real. that RS5 speed is haunting

Fender Rob

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2021, 09:57 pm »
Thx guys…it is what it is, I guess. If so, I’ll live with it, as most tunes sound great and are highly enjoyable.
I do have another system upstairs, with a bit more space between me and the speakers, so I’ll rock out there as needed. Or stream Tidal through less transparent Bluetooth speakers:)

Hope all this doesn’t come across as whining, more of a realization that this level of transparency and resolution, although tough on poor recordings, is worth it (and any tweaks along the way) to get to the good stuff they have on offer.

Once again, I really appreciate the comments all around, as it helps my perspective while moving forward.

Happy listening!
R

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2021, 01:15 am »
I agree with Rdavison.  The rs5 with a sub is as good as anything that Louis makes.

I wholly concur.  Louis' RS5 (and my Super 5's) driver is superb.  It's slightly forward and that's what I like.  For the freq's it's designed to handle the RS5 does it with aplomb and organically.  Rather esoteric.  Paired with my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub....... Heaven!

Congrats on the Super 3i.