Too much time on my hands - new set amp (incoming)

roamingwesty

Re: Too much time on my hands - new set amp (incoming)
« Reply #60 on: 30 Apr 2021, 10:34 pm »
Hello jmolsberg and everyone.

My research of Alan Eaton amps led me to this thread. Thanks for the postings and discussion. Learning interesting stuff.

My wife and I visited Mr. Eaton 2 days ago, and we will be joining some of you as owners of his craft. It'll be Mr. Eaton's 2A3 monoblocks for us.

I totally agree to jmolsberg's approach: to experience it for a duration, learn more during that time. Then, if necessary, experiment with possible upgrades.

So, here I am gathering info for now. Jmolsberg, would you mind sharing exactly what specs of Vcaps and Miflex were used for replacement? Are they exactly the same spec/value as the caps swapped out, or within some kind of reasonable tolerance?

Along this vein, is there a general guidance to cap replacement values, how closely they need to follow the original? A place for me to read up perhaps?

Thanks!

PipHelix

« Reply #61 on: 30 Apr 2021, 11:29 pm »
Hello jmolsberg and everyone.

My research of Alan Eaton amps led me to this thread. Thanks for the postings and discussion. Learning interesting stuff.

My wife and I visited Mr. Eaton 2 days ago, and we will be joining some of you as owners of his craft. It'll be Mr. Eaton's 2A3 monoblocks for us.

I totally agree to jmolsberg's approach: to experience it for a duration, learn more during that time. Then, if necessary, experiment with possible upgrades.

So, here I am gathering info for now. Jmolsberg, would you mind sharing exactly what specs of Vcaps and Miflex were used for replacement? Are they exactly the same spec/value as the caps swapped out, or within some kind of reasonable tolerance?

Along this vein, is there a general guidance to cap replacement values, how closely they need to follow the original? A place for me to read up perhaps?

Thanks!

roamingwesty....

Seems to me you might be a VW owner. What year Westfalia do you have? I have a ‘70.

jmolsberg

« Reply #62 on: 30 Apr 2021, 11:39 pm »
You will have wonderful musical monoblocks. I’ll shoot you a PM

Cheers

-jm

roamingwesty

« Reply #63 on: 30 Apr 2021, 11:54 pm »
roamingwesty....

Seems to me you might be a VW owner. What year Westfalia do you have? I have a ‘70.

Hello PipHelix, haha nice spotting! '66 Westy that lives only in the garage these days. (My fault.) But we did roam. Over a year. She was home. Amazing days :)

You will have wonderful musical monoblocks. I’ll shoot you a PM

Cheers

-jm

Thanks JM!